S&S Oil Filter With BelRay Dino

Keep it civil
Junebug51
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: Street Glide

S&S Oil Filter With BelRay Dino

Post by Junebug51 »

When I bought my 2014 Low Rider, used with only 2100 miles, part of the deal was free oil changes for life. Well, it's time for an oil change, so I called the shop (an independent dealership that deals in strictly HD) and asked what they use. I'm partial to Mobil One V-Twin. He told me that he's never liked synthetics, and they use BelRay mineral oil, and S&S filters. I was kinda shocked, really. Anyway, I have ZERO experience with either one of these products. Anyone use BelRay oil or S&S filters? What are your thoughts on using dino oil in a TC 103? With this deal I can change oil every 2500 miles, but I want something good in my engine for those 2500 miles!
The older I get, the faster I was!

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: S&S Oil Filter With BelRay Dino

Post by old time rider »

I feel way too much stock put in oil claims and how much better one is than the other. Have never used any thing but Dino in any of my cars/trucks and over 30 motorcycles.Last twenty years has been 15-40 Rotella in everything but the last two cars the wife drives.They call for the thin stuff so WallMart 5-30 I think it is.I try to change the bikes every 3,500- 4,000 but on long trips like the three and a half Alaska changed at 5,000 in a Alaska Wall Mart parking lot.The shop part let us use his drain pans and showed us the part of the lot to do it in.Not brand loyal in brands of bikes,cars,trucks,or oil.Do not ride as much as some but my last new big bike a 2001 1500 Nomad rolled up 82,000 in less than four years when I priced it and it found a new home.15-40 Rotella T dino all but what came in it.
Do try to stay with same brand but know some that do not and see no blow up and short motor life that the triple the price brands want you to think about.If they were that much better don't you think the maker would call for it? Taxi and service fleets would be best place to ask if any better than the others IMO. How many really put 200,000 on a motorcycle.Way more do not even put 10,000 a year on them but the hardley riders of most any brand are the ones that usually put the high stuff in and buy the most add to the gas,oil,etc. They sleep good I guess and tell you how they are sure it will go 300,000 then sell it with 20,000 in ten years :lmao: .Ride it every day is the best thing to not need all the extra stuff. :cheers:

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

Any oil the correct viscosity and filter other than Fram would be fine for 2500 mile intervals.

BelRay gets good reviews and UOAs on Bobistheoilguy and Harley forums I've been on. S&S has had license to copy Harley parts for years.

If they're putting it in all 3 holes, 20W-50 in the motor and primary would be fine, but make sure they use something thicker in the trans. I think BelRay sells a trans fluid.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

I've never used S&S filters, so I can't speak to them, but I have used BelRay oil. Once. I noticed when pouring it that it seemed a little thin for the viscosity numbers. Supposed to be 20-50, but poured like 5W. Anyway motor was noisier than usual, so I changed it after a short interval. I left it in the primary and it didn't seem to affect performance there. One of my Sportsters has Lucas synth and a NAPA Gold filter, all seems well. I've used Rotella T6 in my primary a few times, seems OK. The Harley Dino oil works well too. One of my bikes currently has Hard Drive V-twin 20-50 synth and an EMGO filter, no issues. I've used some of the metric brand oils in various metric bikes, no issues. Actually, I guess the only oil I didn't like was that BelRay in my Sportster engine. ;IDunno:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

A very very few of you are as old or even older than me!! Harley sells one oil for all three holes on the big hog and the two on a sportster now I have been told by friends that still buy new ones. Even some lots younger than me will recall the so bad smell of the old tranny fluid we put in the big hogs. Started wearing rubber gloves to put it in because even hand cleaner and lava soap did not get rid of the smell. Found a unopened Qt. of 70 weight oil in the basement that I used in my 1966 shovel. Got it by the case at the local oil out let that sold to stores.
1966 shovel start - Two kicks no choke, then choke on and one big ass all weight on left leg 160 lbs :lmao: with right leg way out behind you.Usually started first kick and looked so cool doing it [emoji106] . A cute gal :naughty: at a meet told me I looked good kicking the big 74 and gave me a drink of her B.Farm :cheers: .Usually never used the elc start after that. Women and drink can make a man do lots of things. :bonk: :bonk:

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

old time rider wrote:A very very few of you are as old or even older than me!! Harley sells one oil for all three holes on the big hog and the two on a sportster now I have been told by friends that still buy new ones.
Yep, Syn 3. But it's not a full synthetic. And even if I did buy it, I'd only use it in my motor and primary. It's not thick enough for the trans and makes shifting clunky.

It was in mine when I bought it, according to the dealer. When I did my first change I switched to Valvoline V Twin 20W-50 and Supertech Full Syntethetic 75W-90. No complaints so far. And it only costs about $35 including filter to change all the holes.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

here is a pretty good article on oils. Belray seems to compare very well to most other oils.

http://www.sportrider.com/oils-well-ends-well-part-2
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

enforcer wrote:Any oil the correct viscosity and filter other than Fram would be fine for 2500 mile intervals.

BelRay gets good reviews and UOAs on Bobistheoilguy and Harley forums I've been on. S&S has had license to copy Harley parts for years.

If they're putting it in all 3 holes, 20W-50 in the motor and primary would be fine, but make sure they use something thicker in the trans. I think BelRay sells a trans fluid.
I have been using fram filters the vast majority of my life, on cars and bikes, NEVER had a problem with them.

Between 2 1400's I have put about 370,000 miles on them 154,000 on the 87, 185,000 on the original 99 engine and changed it out due to a trans issue, current engine was supposed to have about 40,000 on it when I put it in and I have put about 40,000 on it. All of this using mostly car oil and fram filters, oil changes every 4-5,000. NEVER had an engine or oil related problem.

I am still running fram filters and wally world 10w40 oil, with no problems.

I know that fram filters had some problems, YEARS ago, but they have always worked well for me.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I use Mobil 1 V-twin 20W50 in the engine and primary and Mobil 1 75W90 in the gearbox and K&N oil filters
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:I use Mobil 1 V-twin 20W50 in the engine and primary and Mobil 1 75W90 in the gearbox and K&N oil filters
I like K&N filters. HiFloFiltro makes them and they even make their own at 1/2 the price.

PCC
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: GW TRIKE + 1300 Yamaha V Star

Post by PCC »

At the 2500 interval it won't make much difference.
I have no exprence with brand you listed but...
I used to use Rotella T and was happy until recently I found I like Castrol 10W40 Actevo X-tra 4T Motorcycle Oil better. I can go 3000 miles with smoother shifting on my GW than the Rotella was giving me. Both oils started our the same but as I approached the extended mileage the Castrol seems hold it velocity. :blink: ;IDunno:
Read My Daily Musings On Numerous Topics
Especially Riding Motorcycles & Camera Captures
Of My Meanderings...

https://pcove99.wixsite.com/website

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

I did use Castrol dino a lot of years but when I started driving a school bus in the early 90s they used the Rotella and the wrenchs liked it.So having a qt or two on hand for the bus at all times was sure never to run all the way out.Really to me they both seemed the same but the trike weight may put more strain on the tranny? From what I read the tranny is what breaks the oil down more than any thing. Like Harleys idea of three places so if one breaks will not go the entire motor,clutch ,and tranny.

Junebug51

Post by Junebug51 »

Decided since I don't know much about S&S filters or Bel Ray mineral oil, I'm just gonna buy an HD filter and bring in three qts. of Mobil 1 V-Twin. Dealer said that was fine with him, he'll change it for free, and he said because I'm using my own oil, which saved him some $$$, he'll throw in a free T shirt. Not bad I guess.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Junebug51 wrote:Decided since I don't know much about S&S filters or Bel Ray mineral oil, I'm just gonna buy an HD filter and bring in three qts. of Mobil 1 V-Twin. Dealer said that was fine with him, he'll change it for free, and he said because I'm using my own oil, which saved him some $$$, he'll throw in a free T shirt. Not bad I guess.

Which dealer is this and where are they located? [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Oh boy an oil thread.....:lol:

I use Castrol 10W40 and the fram filter both from walmart. 128,000+ miles and no major engine problems. I change both at 3,000 miles. :soda:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Well, someone has to keep the walmart family as the richest family in America. I'm doing my part. :lolfall:

Junebug51

Post by Junebug51 »

Now you guys have me re-thinking this. So Bel Ray IS good stuff, huh? I'm just scratching my head as to why I can't find much info about the 20w 50 mineral oil. All kinds of good posts about the gear lube, etc. but not much at all about the engine oil, other than advertisements. I know the company has been around a long time. I've been riding since the '60's, so I've heard of Bel Ray since way back then, but it was mostly for our two stroke MX bikes. Been searching to see if it has a group III rating. Anybody know?

Junebug51

Post by Junebug51 »

Sure! I asked on every forum I know! The more info the better! What's wrong with that? :confused:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Junebug51 wrote:Sure! I asked on every forum I know! The more info the better! What's wrong with that? :confused:
oh, oh, oh, ... I know the answer to that... NOTHING is wrong with that. :soda:

Junebug51

Post by Junebug51 »

My bad! Sorry.