Navy Sailor Proudly Refuses to Stand for Anthem - Then Navy Veterans Lower the Boom on Her 'Protest'

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Navy Sailor Proudly Refuses to Stand for Anthem - Then Navy Veterans Lower the Boom on Her 'Protest'

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

The national anthem protests — inspired by 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick — were just gathering steam when the first American military member raised eyebrows by joining in.
Facebook community, US Army Military Police WTF Moments, posted video of the sailor, who said that she would not stand for the anthem "until the U.S. proves that they've got my back as a black woman":
Although the Navy did speak to the sailor in the video, officials made it clear that she would not be separated from the service for her actions.
Last week, as tensions increased following two highly publicized police shootings, another sailor came forward to say that she would be sitting out the national anthem as well:

Janaye Ervin's post includes a photo of herself in uniform along with the following caption:
"My fellow Americans,
I have been proudly serving in the US Navy Reserve Force since November 2008. I have pledged to support and defend the Constitution of the United States and to spread freedom and democracy around the world. I will never waver from that pledge.
In September 19, 2016, while in uniform, I made the conscious decision to not stand for the 'Star-Spangled Banner' because I feel like a hypocrite, singing about 'land of the free' when, I know that only applies to some Americans. I will gladly stand again, when ALL AMERICANS are afforded the same freedom.
The Navy has decided to punish me for defending the Constitution and has taken away my equipment I need to do my Naval job. It was my pleasure serving my country, I love it dearly, that is why I must do this for you. I will keep you all posted on what happens next!

But several Navy veterans have helped Independent Journal Review to navigate through the fallacies in Ervin's position.
Ervin complained that the Navy was "punishing her for defending the Constitution," but John Bloomer pointed out that she actually was in violation of Navy regulations:
"Navy regulations require all uniformed personnel to stand at attention and face the ensign while the anthem is played.

This service member is in violation of the regulations. Disciplinary action is warranted.
Anyone has a right to protest, but action conducted as a protest does not grant immunity from the law or a pass on any social consequence.
The perception of many people seems to be that a claim of 'right to protest' is a free pass from any consequences of their chosen protest. That needs to be corrected."
Ervin spoke of her pledge to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States and to spread freedom and democracy around the world," but veteran Naval officer and fellow African American Martin Baker was reminded of something he was told in training:
"I was told in basic training the simplest of phrases: we are here to preserve and defend democracy, not practice it.
When you put the uniform on, you must put aside your personal feelings and remember at that moment you are a direct representative of the United States of America. You are, if need be, the advanced diplomacy of the American way of life.
If at any time you feel you cannot stand and represent our flag and our nation even in something as simple as the anthem, you forfeit the right to wear that uniform."
Baker also noted that the oath she took also required her to "bear true allegiance" to the United States:
"Each member of the military both officer and enlisted take an oath to bear true allegiance... and true allegiance can be as simple as standing for the anthem or saluting the flag, or it can be as complex as following an order to secure a beachhead or territory on the battlefield.
Each person takes that oath freely and without being under external duress by the government. We do not have conscription so she took that oath of her own free will. She knew damn well her actions were a violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) and as such she is subject to its discipline whether that be a Captain's Mast or a court martial.

I have no sympathy for her — her right to express herself as an individual died the moment she put on a uniform."
Other veterans commented on the fact that — regulations specific to the national anthem aside —protesting the anthem could also be considered "political speech," another violation of military regulations.
Those regulations dictate that members of the military are not permitted to attend political rallies (for any political party or figure) while in uniform, because they could give the impression that a particular person or party has the endorsement of the military as a whole.
Army veteran Grant Warner summed it up nicely: "Everyone should know that when in any uniform, military or civilian, you are representing the company or employer. People should also realize that the flag represents the people of America more than it represents the government."

The Navy has released new guidelines pursuant to the two protests, outlining their expectations for sailors in and out of uniform with respect to the national anthem. Military.com shared the bulk of those guidelines:
According to Navy Regulation 1205, personnel in uniform must stand at attention and face the flag when the national anthem is played. Navy active-duty personnel in civilian clothes will face the flag, stand at attention, and place their right hand over their heart.
Additionally, Sailors will receive training on the appropriate usage of social media, and must not use it to discredit the Naval Service, and should be reminded it could potentially be used as evidence against them.
While military personnel are not excluded from the protections granted by the First Amendment, the US Supreme Court has stated that the different character of our community and of the military mission requires a different application of those protections."

Although neither of the two sailors has been discharged as of yet, the new guidelines state that further such actions will be punishable under Article 92 of the UCMJ, and will be considered serious offenses — grounds for involuntary separation from the service.

http://ijr.com/2016/09/700594-navy-sail ... ium=social
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Navy Sailor Proudly Refuses to Stand for Anthem - Then Navy Veterans Lower the Boom on Her 'Protest'

Post by Designer »

Enforce the regulations....it is as simple as that.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Travlin
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: Ummmmmmmm a 1400

Re: Navy Sailor Proudly Refuses to Stand for Anthem - Then Navy Veterans Lower the Boom on Her 'Protest'

Post by Travlin »

If I were to venture a guess they are in the Military more for the job/pension than as a defender of the Constitution. Point driven by their actions.

Personally, looking at all the "fundamental change" that Ohommie promised and pulled off, I think a dishonorable discharge would send a message with a clear point to the personnel. Let them protest all they want while that follows them for the rest of their lives. Might be a deterrent to others. There are things you sign up for when you decide to suck on the public tit for a livelihood. With the Military it involves a lot of STFU at a personal level. You can't figure that out, then you are either too stupid to be there or you think rules don't apply. Kick the bitches to the curb.

I am waiting the the deterrent to register that you pull a weapon on a cop you are gonna probably die. My momma taught me that and has been a good working theory to this point.

A fundamental cultural difference played out this Spring about 50 miles from the. A white dude with a problem with State patrol officers walked up on one with a gun. He didn't survive his attack of dumbass. Riots, looting, raising hell? Nope the general consequences was "wow,what a dumbass" Again, there are rules that apply. Some really don't seem to get that.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

The right way, the wrong way, and the Army way. It took me a few years to recognize that there are very good reasons for it to be that way.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

The UCMJ is not the same as "civilian law". Therefore, she IS in violation and the UCMJ better enforce this.
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

DevilsFan wrote:The UCMJ is not the same as "civilian law". Therefore, she IS in violation and the UCMJ better enforce this.
And be SURE to make an example of this so called,..... "enlisted personnel".

Some "American Navy" that thing is.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

DevilsFan wrote:The UCMJ is not the same as "civilian law". Therefore, she IS in violation and the UCMJ better enforce this.
And be SURE to make an example of this so called,..... "enlisted personnel".

Some "Proudly Serving American" that thing is.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Seeing as how I am former Navy myself I find this trend disturbing. My suggestion to the Navy would be show the individual how the Navy protest their actions by giving them some brig time and a dishonorable discharge. That discharge is not a good thing to have on your record as you go thru life. It will make finding a job very hard in the future. Make it plain to civilians and military people... you do not protest while in uniform. :soda:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:Seeing as how I am former Navy myself I find this trend disturbing. My suggestion to the Navy would be show the individual how the Navy protest their actions by giving them some brig time and a dishonorable discharge. That discharge is not a good thing to have on your record as you go thru life. It will make finding a job very hard in the future. Make it plain to civilians and military people... you do not protest while in uniform. :soda:
Man,...does she need THAT! [emoji106] :cheers: :clap: :rock:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

/If they let her slide on this it will become a huge disciplinary problem(s) for all branches of the services....orders and regulations MUST be adhered to
24/7/365 or there will be no order of any kind....chaos...
she needs her ass demoted to the lowest rank and summarily and dishonorably discharged..
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

When one has problems carrying out the easy obligations like flag etiquette and standing for the national anthem, I have serious questions about how that troop will perform in the face of real decisions with life-changing consequences such as when captured and asked to betray their country. I helped a few Airmen out of the service who thought basic military regulations and traditions were there to be challenged in my 22 1/2 years in the Air Force. These people are incompatible with the military and need to be civilians.
lovineveryminuteofit

Elsie rider
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: HD Triglide

Post by Elsie rider »

I love the whining when she lost her security clearance...they took away my ability to do my job......suck it up butter cake....may be a spot in the mess hall for you

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Her job first and foremost was to be an American and she forfeited that when she decide she did not have to honor her duty as a service person wearing a uniform many men and women would love to wear. As I said give her brig time and a dishonorable discharge and let her wear that around her neck for the rest of her life. She'll probably end up as just another black person sucking on the government teat anyway. :bonk:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Man with out a country :
The protagonist is a young United States Army lieutenant, Philip Nolan, who develops a friendship with the visiting Aaron Burr. When Burr is tried for treason (historically this occurred in 1807), Nolan is tried as an accomplice. During his testimony, he bitterly renounces his nation, angrily shouting, "I wish I may never hear of the United States again!" The judge is completely shocked at this announcement, and on convicting him, icily grants him his wish: he is to spend the rest of his life aboard United States Navy warships, in exile, with no right ever again to set foot on U.S. soil, and with explicit orders that no one shall ever mention his country to him again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Without_a_Country

I got to watch this movie ,filmed in 1937,in school seems it was good enough message to do a remake in 1973

Suitable punishment for those young Americans that dont understand what it is exactly to "Have Someones Back". Maybe not for the rest of their lives Im betting 10 years would leave an impact on arrogant football players and service personnel

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

FallenAngel wrote:Man with out a country :
The protagonist is a young United States Army lieutenant, Philip Nolan, who develops a friendship with the visiting Aaron Burr. When Burr is tried for treason (historically this occurred in 1807), Nolan is tried as an accomplice. During his testimony, he bitterly renounces his nation, angrily shouting, "I wish I may never hear of the United States again!" The judge is completely shocked at this announcement, and on convicting him, icily grants him his wish: he is to spend the rest of his life aboard United States Navy warships, in exile, with no right ever again to set foot on U.S. soil, and with explicit orders that no one shall ever mention his country to him again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Without_a_Country
More from your link:

Deprived of a homeland, Nolan slowly and painfully learns the true worth of his country. He misses it more than his friends or family, more than art or music or love or nature. Without it, he is nothing. Dying aboard the USS Levant, he shows his room to an officer named Danforth; it is "a little shrine" of patriotism. The Stars and Stripes are draped around a picture of George Washington. Over his bed, Nolan has painted a bald eagle, with lightning "blazing from his beak" and claws grasping the globe. At the foot of his bed is an outdated map of the United States, showing many of its old territories that had, unbeknownst to him, been admitted to statehood. Nolan smiles, "Here, you see, I have a country!" The dying man asks desperately to be told the news of American history since 1807, and Danforth finally relates to him almost all of the major events that have happened to the U.S. since his sentence was imposed; the narrator confesses, however, that "I could not make up my mouth to tell him a word about this infernal rebellion." Nolan then asks him to bring his copy of the Presbyterian Book of Public Prayer, and read the page where it will automatically open. These are the words: "Most heartily we beseech Thee with Thy favor to behold and bless Thy servant, the President of the United States, and all others in authority." Nolan says: "I have repeated those prayers night and morning, it is now fifty-five years." Every day, he had read of the United States, but only in the form of a prayer to uphold its leaders; the U.S. Navy had neglected to keep this book from him. This is the supreme irony of the story. Nolan asks him to have them bury him in the sea and have a gravestone placed in memory of him at Fort Adams, Mississippi or at New Orleans. When he dies later that day, he is found to have drafted a suitably patriotic epitaph for himself: "In memory of PHILIP NOLAN, 'Lieutenant in the Army of the United States. He loved his country as no other man has loved her; but no man deserved less at her hands.'"

What better way to teach "the lesson" to they who follow him afterwards. :wink:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

As noted in the OP, wearing a uniform be it military or civilian, binds the person to what it represents.
In the Unites States, all sports practiced here (or abroad by our teams of whatever venue) are based on American values.

Without fail, these, "protesters" should be immediately removed from the team and blacklisted. Others that are willing to perform as, Americans, can be found to fill their places.....that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Elsie rider wrote:I love the whining when she lost her security clearance...they took away my ability to do my job......suck it up butter cake....may be a spot in the mess hall for you
She'd spit in the food.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Elsie rider wrote:I love the whining when she lost her security clearance...they took away my ability to do my job......suck it up butter cake....may be a spot in the mess hall for you
She did not lose her security clearance She gave it up when she proved she couldn't be trusted with her oath and proved herself to be a security risk

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:When one has problems carrying out the easy obligations like flag etiquette and standing for the national anthem, I have serious questions about how that troop will perform in the face of real decisions with life-changing consequences such as when captured and asked to betray their country. I helped a few Airmen out of the service who thought basic military regulations and traditions were there to be challenged in my 22 1/2 years in the Air Force. These people are incompatible with the military and need to be civilians.

You make a good point about when and if she were to be captured. Didn't think of that.

I say drag this story out,....file no charges so o-fuking-bamasshole can't pardon the bitch.

Then when that rat-bastard is out of office charge her, convict here,... and make her an example. :rock:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
SuzyRidr2 wrote:When one has problems carrying out the easy obligations like flag etiquette and standing for the national anthem, I have serious questions about how that troop will perform in the face of real decisions with life-changing consequences such as when captured and asked to betray their country. I helped a few Airmen out of the service who thought basic military regulations and traditions were there to be challenged in my 22 1/2 years in the Air Force. These people are incompatible with the military and need to be civilians.

You make a good point about when and if she were to be captured. Didn't think of that.

I say drag this story out,....file no charges so o-fuking-bamasshole can't pardon the bitch.

Then when that rat-bastard is out of office charge her, convict here,... and make her an example. :rock:
The military has a time limit on how long they can wait to charge someone and then how long they can wait to actually try them.

Back in the late 90's we had a guy busted with meth. He was charged and scheduled to be tried, something came up and there wasn't enough people available in the Judge Advocates Offce to try him. We had to do Office Hours, and put him out on an Admin Discharge (less than honorable), because it was either that or the time ran out and he would get off scott free.

One thing about the UCMJ, there are time limits on everything.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.