Nearly got stranded today

Keep it civil
SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Nearly got stranded today

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

I bought an Odyssey battery from Gman in March of 2007. After nearly a decade, the Odyssey is losing its trustworthiness.

For about the past year I'd noticed that my LC was turning over a little more slowly each time I cold-cranked it. This had become even more noticeable in the past 2-3 months, but the battery remained reliable. Today it turned the LC over slowly once again, then finally fired. I ran a short errand and when I got ready to leave ... rrrrr, rrrrr, try again ... rrrr, rrrr ... turn off ... try again ... finally firing. Then on my way home my LC cut off on me twice while idling. Rrrrr, rrrrr, turn off, turn on ... rrrrr, rrrrr, off, on ... rrrr, rrrr ... FIRE! This battery wasn't going down without a fight. Got to love a battery that dies slowly - one of the features of the Odyssey.

Just ordered another Gbat. These batteries are expensive, but worth every penny from the perspective of an old man who didn't have to push his motorcycle or walk home. :rag:
lovineveryminuteofit

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: Nearly got stranded today

Post by old time rider »

Guess since the motors are so much alike the 1500 is like the 1400 and so hard to push start :hellfire: .Glad you made it in ok [emoji106] .Put 47,000 in 22 months on my 1982 Virago I got new in 1985. The starters were junk and if it had not push started so easy would have sold it soon after 30,000.After that every 1,000 miles or so would have to pull,clean,and re shim the starter.Not that big a job but when working 21 days in a row ,97 mile round trip, before a break got old fast. Other wise one of the best all around bikes ever owned. In 1985/86 they came out with a much better starter but would not inter change with the old er ones.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

old time rider wrote:Guess since the motors are so much alike the 1500 is like the 1400 and so hard to push start :hellfire:
I have never tried to bump start it, but I've heard from those who have say 2nd or 3rd gear and a good amount of speed is required for an LC. I was down town and on flat ground when it was failing. I'll be skeered to ride for a few days until I get my new battery. [emoji2]
lovineveryminuteofit

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

And I thought I did well with my last six year old battery [emoji2] ...WOW 10 years is really good.
You say they are expensive....well how expensive are they? Curious minds want to know, besides I'd love to have a bike battery last 10 years [emoji106]
and how much is the shipping?
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:And I thought I did well with my last six year old battery [emoji2] ...WOW 10 years is really good.
You say they are expensive....well how expensive are they? Curious minds want to know, besides I'd love to have a bike battery last 10 years [emoji106]
and how much is the shipping?
How expensive? ... $150 plus $20 shipping expensive - that's for the GMan-modified version (so it'll fit my box). They've really gone up in price. I believe I paid $110 for my last one.

The manufacturer claims the battery is designed for an 8 to 12 year service life; supplies 535 cranking amps the first 5 seconds (GMan sells them with even more CCAs); can be discharged/recharged 400 times without harming the battery; can sit idle for 2 years without needing to be recharged; and it dies gradually instead of catastrophically. I figure if the battery lives up to 50% of those claims it's well worth the price. It's hard to put a price on peace of mind.

This battery sounds expensive until you remind yourself that you'll typically pay that and more for a car battery that has about the same service life. I'm different from most people. I don't mind paying a high price for something that functions better. I'm a lot quicker to draw the line on paying $250 for a worthless hunk of chrome. :lmao:
lovineveryminuteofit

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Sorry to hear your battery is going bad, but after almost 10 years you have to expect that. :blink:

Since this has turned into a battery thread and I can't afford the G-batt I post what I buy. $69 and free shipping.

https://www.batterystuff.com/powersport ... -BS-1.html
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: