OK winter is here in Mo.

Keep it civil
n-trude
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: Honda GW Trike

OK winter is here in Mo.

Post by n-trude »

I am not ready for winter. I want to ride and now its cold.

So do you like winter? Mo. has had some mild one last few years we are do. Better see if the snow blower is ok, check it out.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: OK winter is here in Mo.

Post by Herb »

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I ride.

Temps down into the teens have never stopped me, even snow that isn't too deep or packed and icy doesn't.

I went riding this moirning, when I went out it was just warming up to 30 f.

The 1400 didn't want to start after a night of down to 20 f. With a little coaxing I got it started.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

That weather front hit us down south in southwest Louisiana early this morning.............temps out are hanging in the high 40's////49 at present and it usually dips down a few degrees before sun up........
I draw the line at 39 degrees....call me old if you like but going places on the bike with temps hovering in the 30's is not what I would call pleasureable :eek: And that's with heated grips and plenty of protection from the wind with a huge fairing................Nope I'll take my pick up [emoji106]
But anything above 40* it's a go...........I hate bundling up....don't like it...never have....never will........Even when I was still deer hunting it was a hassle...but back then I was full of piss and vinegar so it didn't bother me much but I still hated putting on so many layers of clothing...it just made lack of movement more trouble, for me at least, than it was worth......

I've had my share of riding in below freezing temps....with no windshield....field jacket...combat boots...and leather gloves for protection from the cold......try prying frozen fingers off handle bars grips after 100 miles in 18* weather heading against a 40 mph north wind [emoji2]
That heater in my pick up...........works like a charm :rock:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

PCC
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: GW TRIKE + 1300 Yamaha V Star

Post by PCC »

Yep it is a little cool this morning. Need one of those heated suit and I would still be goin.[emoji14]
Read My Daily Musings On Numerous Topics
Especially Riding Motorcycles & Camera Captures
Of My Meanderings...

https://pcove99.wixsite.com/website

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Did not use any heated stuff at 39 degrees on ride to meet old coots.We got a little of the much needed rain last night.Just enough the roads were still wet.Need more for the lots of fires in eastern Ky..Did use my mittens this AM and no need for sun glasses so had all but eyes covered behind the full face.Nice little ride and meet no other bikes but one other that is in the town we meet in did ride.Most of them ride this cold and lower but guess the older ages we are becoming not worth the less than 30 mile ride to gear up.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Winter riding is one reason I want the Burgman 650 Executive, it comes with heater grips and seat and a big adjustable windshield. Since I don't have any winter cloths except for a heavy coat, chaps non-insulated, and a full face helmet I need all the help I can get from the cold wind/weather.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Here you go,Keith some hippo hand warmers. :lolfall:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Really? I would never have thought of you as a Hippo hand warmer type of guy. But then you being in Fl. they probably don't have any really good winter gloves anywhere. :bang:

While we are speaking of winter weather the air temp was about 50, I took a short ride, thank God it was short, to the local Dollar General store for a 30 amp car fuse and they didn't have any type of car fuse. So when I went outside to go back home the bike didn't want to start. But this time I remembered to wiggle the clutch safety switch by-pass and it started right up. The reason I took the bike... two reasons, I thought I could handle the temps and I was wrong :bang: and the other reason was the van had the new to me love seat/foldout bed in the back of it and the two cushions in the passenger seat up front with me. It has been down to freezing the last couple of nights and I have found out I nee just a tad more heat than I have been using at night.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

I had a set for years. If you do a lot of town riding you can not see your controls and buttons.If not on just right mine would some times turn a signal on or at worst only one time hit the kill button. In the ride all year in above 32 about any time states a nice set of on/off guards with the good size wrap around plastic and a heated grip set up should do fine.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

The bark buster type is what I was talking about. Hands do seem to go numb faster for me in thick winter gloves. My leather mittens are better.38 today and mittens were good on the old 1600 ride.