FOR ALL YOU GREENHORN MECHANICS

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

FOR ALL YOU GREENHORN MECHANICS

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

THIS WAS TOO GOOD TO PASS UP [emoji106]

For all those green hands out there, left side is metric, right side standard!!!

duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: FOR ALL YOU GREENHORN MECHANICS

Post by YoDude »

Hahaha, that's exactly correct! Be SURE to use the PROPER end! [emoji106]

Great tip!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

But what if you're left-handed? :lmao:

VRH
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: VS1400GLP - VL1500 C90T

Post by VRH »

Just turn it over on the other side. :mrgreen:

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Does it come in whitworth?

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Himm, a wrench you can use to work on both American and foreign cars with. I remember trying to work on one of my small Dodge pickups and none of my wrenches would fit. Come to find out it had metric nuts and bolts because it was a Japanese truck re-badged as a Dodge. :bang:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:Himm, a wrench you can use to work on both American and foreign cars with. I remember trying to work on one of my small Dodge pickups and none of my wrenches would fit. Come to find out it had metric nuts and bolts because it was a Japanese truck re-badged as a Dodge. :bang:
During the late 70's and 80's the us made vehicles were switching over to metric. some things were SAE and some were metric. had to have sets of both to work on anything.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Yeap, I remember that also. :blink:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I order K&N oil filters for my bike...not because they are better than others but for the sole reason the oil filter on my bike is damn near impossible to get to with an ordinary oil filter removal tool.....the K&N's (171B) come with a 17mm nut welded on the non working end of the filter and allows me to remove the filter with an ordinary 3/8" ratchet........ [emoji106] ... They do make a tool for catching "most of the oil that emits from the filter upon removal..but there is absolutely no fricking way to catch all of the excess oil...until someone suggested using a long phillips screw driver to puncture the filter at the lowest point....with the bike on it's kickstand and then using the same apparatus to catch the excess oil in the filter ...
While it's draining from the hole in the filter I drain the oil from the crankcase...by that time the filter has given up all it's dark looking syrup...
Works like a champ [emoji106]

On and BTW......don't use that 17mm nut to tighten the oil filter when putting on the new one.....hand tight is good enough [emoji106]
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:I order K&N oil filters for my bike...not because they are better than others but for the sole reason the oil filter on my bike is damn near impossible to get to with an ordinary oil filter removal tool.....the K&N's (171B) come with a 17mm nut welded on the non working end of the filter and allows me to remove the filter with an ordinary 3/8" ratchet........ [emoji106] ... They do make a tool for catching "most of the oil that emits from the filter upon removal..but there is absolutely no fricking way to catch all of the excess oil...until someone suggested using a long phillips screw driver to puncture the filter at the lowest point....with the bike on it's kickstand and then using the same apparatus to catch the excess oil in the filter ...
While it's draining from the hole in the filter I drain the oil from the crankcase...by that time the filter has given up all it's dark looking syrup...

On and BTW......don't use that 17mm nut to tighten the oil filter when putting on the new one.....hand tight is good enough [emoji106]
Thanks for the tip Johnny. [emoji106] That should work on my Softail and the Sportsters. :cheers:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I've poked holes in oil filters for years while changing them and the oil. Almost all the time it wasn't done on purpose to drain the filter but to loosen up the filter with a screwdriver. :lolfall: Then I got smart and bought a filter removal tool that fits on the end and has a place for an extension. :clap:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Yes have put stuff through them to use to get them off all so.Not on ones I put on.The tightest one was on the new 1969 RoadRunner,my first new car.
I use the V Strom's again.The owners manual tells you three times.All so do not buy the four times as high oil.Most all I meet who do put far less mies on them than I do.If it makes you sleep better go for it.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I've poked holes in oil filters for years while changing them and the oil. Almost all the time it wasn't done on purpose to drain the filter but to loosen up the filter with a screwdriver. :lolfall: Then I got smart and bought a filter removal tool that fits on the end and has a place for an extension. :clap:

I got one just like that too John...it fits over the non working end of the oil filter where there are flat surfaces......only problem with using mine is that when I stick the 3/8 ratchet in the apparatus the end of the extension pulls the removal tool away from the filter :bonk: ....
And if you just ease your ratchet into the opening when you go to turn it the damn thing slips off....at least for me it does...
That's way I've gone to the ones with the nut welded on the end

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

Suzuki Johnny wrote: For all those green hands out there, left side is metric, right side standard!!!
[emoji2] I snapped this pic at a little country store over in Maine a few years back...

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Suzuki Johnny wrote: I got one just like that too John...it fits over the non working end of the oil filter where there are flat surfaces......only problem with using mine is that when I stick the 3/8 ratchet in the apparatus the end of the extension pulls the removal tool away from the filter :bonk: ....
And if you just ease your ratchet into the opening when you go to turn it the damn thing slips off....at least for me it does...
That's way I've gone to the ones with the nut welded on the end
Johnny, I have noticed that lf I put a little pressure on mine it works fine to hold it on and it doesn't slip. Just finding mine at oil changing time is my problem. :bang:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

If you are just putting them on with slight pressure they come off easy.If just a little snug and you have like me over 60 years of old tools from mine and dads stuff.You find in the pile one that all most but a little slip just line it with tin foil,tap on its good to come off most every time.Just don,t ham fist back on! Allso old ice cream type sticks are real handy to tape a nut to to get a bolt started on other side like a fender strut etc.were your fingers may be too big to hold it.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

HARBOR FREIGHT HAS THE COMPLETE SET ON SALE ,,,,
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

HARRIS wrote:HARBOR FREIGHT HAS THE COMPLETE SET ON SALE ,,,,
Yeah, I have a set of them, IF I can find the correct one. Usually give up and use a screwdriver. :bonk: :bonk:
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

maxriderdon
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Suzuki GSX1250FA

Post by maxriderdon »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:I order K&N oil filters for my bike...not because they are better than others but for the sole reason the oil filter on my bike is damn near impossible to get to with an ordinary oil filter removal tool.....the K&N's (171B) come with a 17mm nut welded on the non working end of the filter and allows me to remove the filter with an ordinary 3/8" ratchet........ [emoji106] ... They do make a tool for catching "most of the oil that emits from the filter upon removal..but there is absolutely no fricking way to catch all of the excess oil...until someone suggested using a long phillips screw driver to puncture the filter at the lowest point....with the bike on it's kickstand and then using the same apparatus to catch the excess oil in the filter ...

Don't know if this would work for your but for my Suzuki Bandit the oil filter is located just behind and slightly above the exhaust headers. I use heavy duty or several layers of aluminum foil and create a path for the oil filter oil to drain right into the catch pan. This keep all the oil away from the headers. [emoji106]