Damn, it's cold in Duluth

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Damn, it's cold in Duluth

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I just checked the Duluth harbor cam page and the canal cam is showing sea smoke. So I checked the temp app about half way down the right side of the page and it said -20 degrees. :eek: Minus 20 only happens in my head and I'm not about to live in a place that gets that cold.

While I have you here I'd like to tell you about my night... it was cold and the ground is white this morning. I don't know if it is frost or snow? But what ever it is means it got too cold for me last night. :bang: I'm seriously thinking about getting the MH running properly and going to Arizona next winter. I'm not sure what I'll do about the bike. :Umm: [space] :OhNo; [space] :soda:

http://www.duluthharborcam.com/p/canal-park-cams.html
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Damn, it's cold in Duluth

Post by Lechy »

Damn, it's hot in Bangkok.

:lmao: :lmao: [emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

We had -20 for a week about 30 years ago....funny thing was, so long as the wind don't blow, and you are bundled up properly you notice it not. The pick up truck I had at the time started and ran OK, but I couldn't shift gears for a mile or two, while the grease loosened up! The heater did a fair job, got the cab up to 45 or so....warm by comparison to outdoors! Not unusual around to here to flirt with Zero, come January. Doesn't usually last long though.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

98VS1400 wrote:I like Duluth Trading Company clothes. Good stuff. Tow the bike!
I've thought about that and then there is/are the "two" HF trailers and the van I have to do something with. John, isn't that why you're buying your land, as a place to put your stuff when your out on a trip? Oh yeah. :lolfall:

I guess I could turn the trailer with the bigger wheels into a bike trailer. But I'm not experienced enough of a driver to tow the van and trailer. :bang: I guess after thinking about it I could just put the bike in the van. :Umm: The colder it gets here the better the MH and Arizona in the winter sounds.

Hey Keith can I driveway surf at your house for a couple weeks while exploring Fl. on the bike? :OhNo;

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

" a dilapidated, busted down old RV" you sir have cut me to the quick. I would never ask someone to disgrace their home by parking a dilapidated, busted down old RV in their driveway. Now an older, but nice looking RV would be more likely. [emoji2]

Once I am sure the handicapped lady next door can take care of herself I'll be able to take off for a few longer trips. Trips of 2 or 3 weeks at first. Depending on how things go these trips may or not be by RV pulling the bike. Before I died I want to say I went to Disney world. :lolfall:

BTW it's only 18 degrees right now. :bang: :bang:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

98VS1400 wrote: 90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment

:lmao:
You may be slow at times but you do finally get it. :lolfall:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

How's that cabin holding up to 18 degrees? Inquiring minds wish to know!

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

The cabin (storage building) is fine, but I'm one cold guy. You can bet the first thing I buy Wed., after paying my bills, will be insulation. I might even get a 30 lb. propane bottle. But I want to see how good the insulation does before I buy something I might not need.

The last 2 winters I have used a small 200 watt heater that I put in a milk crate, held in place with the small bungy cords so it can't fall over and an old pop can behind it so it got plenty of air. It was down by my feet and I made a pvc frame to hold the old electric blankets up giving me plenty of room. The heater just kept reheating the same air so it got plenty toasty under the covers. I had the heater plugged into a power strip so I could turn it off when it got too hot. My heater ended up being clogged up with dust and stuff that I need a new one, but the local Walmart is sold out of the heater I need. :bang:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:The cabin (storage building) is fine, but I'm one cold guy. You can bet the first thing I buy Wed., after paying my bills, will be insulation. I might even get a 30 lb. propane bottle. But I want to see how good the insulation does before I buy something I might not need.

The last 2 winters I have used a small 200 watt heater that I put in a milk crate, held in place with the small bungy cords so it can't fall over and an old pop can behind it so it got plenty of air. It was down by my feet and I made a pvc frame to hold the old electric blankets up giving me plenty of room. The heater just kept reheating the same air so it got plenty toasty under the covers. I had the heater plugged into a power strip so I could turn it off when it got too hot. My heater ended up being clogged up with dust and stuff that I need a new one, but the local Walmart is sold out of the heater I need. :bang:
One THE safest Heaters I've found is this:

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-co ... 583141.htm

SEALED Oil filled,.....Multiple Levels of heat delivery..... has tip-over Off Switch..... provides a constant heat because it relies not on a fan, but on convection.

I have bought a few for the Animal Rescue Shelter I volunteer at and they RAVE about them. [emoji106] :bow:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

I remember one winter staying at my grandparent's little place up in NW Minnesota. Us kids slept in an unheated attic with home-made afghans and quilts to keep us warm. We were never cold under the covers, but you could see your breath when you exhaled, and in the freezing morning we'd grab our clothes and run downstairs to get dressed by the old oil burner.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I need a couple of those handmade quilts. I've got one but it is almost too small for what I need. Once I get the other two golf cart batteries I'll be able to run the 200 watt heater even when the electricity goes off. The way I have it set up is sort of the way the Japanese heat their feet and legs. They put a small heater under a short table and then close it up so the heat stays under the table where they put their feet and legs. :soda:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I need a couple of those handmade quilts. I've got one but it is almost too small for what I need. Once I get the other two golf cart batteries I'll be able to run the 200 watt heater even when the electricity goes off. The way I have it set up is sort of the way the Japanese heat their feet and legs. They put a small heater under a short table and then close it up so the heat stays under the table where they put their feet and legs. :soda:
I didn't know you could run only 200 watts of heating. :Umm:

Those heaters I suggested are 7 times that. :uhh:

ooops! :blink:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Designer wrote: I didn't know you could run only 200 watts of heating. :Umm:

Those heaters I suggested are 7 times that. :uhh:

ooops! :blink:
This is the I use. It works fine and cost the same as two 100 watt bulbs to run. :clap: It is just a little bit bigger than a pc speaker.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:This is the I use. It works fine and cost the same as two 100 watt bulbs to run. :clap: It is just a little bit bigger than a pc speaker.

While I am not HVAC expert :bow: ..........how does this Dandy Lil Item keep your home warm? :confused:

torgy48
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: C90 Suzucki

Post by torgy48 »

never thought of 20below zero F in VA. Just don't want anything exposed you want to keep like fingers, nose, ears. peace

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

It was a rare event, in fact at the time, it was warmer in Minnesota. Just a weird way the jet stream had dipped and then got stuck. You learn quick....layers!

VRH
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: VS1400GLP - VL1500 C90T

Post by VRH »

If you don't mind a few wrinkles, put your clothes that you will wear tomorrow, under a light blanket that you sleep on top of. You will keep your next set of clothes nice and warm for the morning. :ahha: I do this when camping in cold weather.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Designer, it won't keep a room warm, it is a personal heater and heats up a small space like under your computer desk or in my case the small sleeping area under an old electric blanket. Think of a cocoon 3 ft wide and 6 ft long as my sleeping area that gets the same air heated over and over. Yeap, it is a single persons bed warmer.

PCC
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: GW TRIKE + 1300 Yamaha V Star

Post by PCC »

I was at my daughter's house in Minneapolis, MN one year to visit. We went out one evening to go bowling in -25 temps. :eek:
The snow just crunched as we drove on it. It really did not feel any different than cold temp in MO but I am sure if we stayed out very long we might have missed a nose, fingers or few toes. :uhh:
Read My Daily Musings On Numerous Topics
Especially Riding Motorcycles & Camera Captures
Of My Meanderings...

https://pcove99.wixsite.com/website

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

It's 8 degrees warmer in Duluth than it is here in Eufaula. :bang: [space] :bonk: