Time to talk about my MH

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Time to talk about my MH

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I was sitting here wondering how well the MH motor is protected from the freezing temps we have had the last week or so? I guess wed I will go talk to the lady I bought it off of and see if she remembers the last time it was winterized. I also topped up the radiator in the van.

I have talked to AAA, via email, about their tow plan and the nice lady said it has to be running and tagged up to date when I buy it or they won't cover it. I told her it runs you just can't drive it and I plan on getting it tagged. Since I can get it towed 200 miles free once a year I am going to join AAA for $113 a year, have the MH insured and tagged and pulled out on the hi-way and then call AAA and say it broke down while I was moving it to my house 92 miles away. So I can get it towed for $113 and whatever the tag cost. It has to be less than the $600 a tow truck would cost.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: Time to talk about my MH

Post by YoDude »

You don't need to pull it out on the roadway. They WILL tow it from your driveway or road or whatever. I know this from experience. I had to have my ford ranger towed from my house up to a place where the transmission could be worked on. They had no issues with picking it up from the driveway where it was parked.

The only restrictions they seem to have it that yes, it must be insured, registered and legal to be on the road.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

Yeah, Yo is right, an inoperative motor vehicle can be taken from place to place like any other piece of cargo. But to be driven on a public roadway it must be licensed properly and insured according to the laws of the pertinent state.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

All I know is the lady at AAA said I had to be driving it when it broke down. So it had to be legal and on the hi-way. :blink:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:All I know is the lady at AAA said I had to be driving it when it broke down. So it had to be legal and on the hi-way. :blink:
If it is legal to use on the road, and you come out one day and it won't start or won't move, they will tow it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Herb wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote:All I know is the lady at AAA said I had to be driving it when it broke down. So it had to be legal and on the hi-way. :blink:
If it is legal to use on the road, and you come out one day and it won't start or won't move, they will tow it.
Not according to the lady at AAA. She plainly stated I had to be driving it. This is the only email from her I could find as the rest were deleted. :bang:
Dear John,

Under normal circumstances you could use your 200 mile tow for an RV. Unfortunately If you purchase any vehicle and it is not running that vehicle is not eligible for a tow under your membership. As the AAA emergency roadside assistance is for emergency towing and not for convenience towing. If you decide to purchase a membership you can reach our membership department at 1----------. Thank you for inquiring about membership coverage. Have a great day.

Thank you,

Betty G
AAA Oklahoma

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
Herb wrote:
Not according to the lady at AAA. She plainly stated I had to be driving it. This is the only email from her I could find as the rest were deleted. :bang:
Dear John,

Under normal circumstances you could use your 200 mile tow for an RV. Unfortunately If you purchase any vehicle and it is not running that vehicle is not eligible for a tow under your membership. As the AAA emergency roadside assistance is for emergency towing and not for convenience towing. If you decide to purchase a membership you can reach our membership department at 1----------. Thank you for inquiring about membership coverage. Have a great day.

Thank you,

Betty G
AAA Oklahoma
My wife went out one morning and our van wouldn't start. I was overseas so she had it towed, by AAA, from the driveway, to a shop for repair. Bad fuel pump. So, while she had driven it the day before, she was not driving at the time it broke.

What is wrong with it?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

When I was in my twenties, I had a pickup truck that tossed a rod on the highway....AAA towed me home since I wasn't sure what I was going to do. Then when I found out my local dealer had a Targetmaster 305 in stock, I had AAA take it to them, no problems at all.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Herb wrote: My wife went out one morning and our van wouldn't start. I was overseas so she had it towed, by AAA, from the driveway, to a shop for repair. Bad fuel pump. So, while she had driven it the day before, she was not driving at the time it broke.

What is wrong with it?
We aren't sure why it won't drive. It idles in park but as soon as it is put in gear it dies. :bang:
I guess the difference here in the way I asked if they would tow a non-running non-tagged vehicle. :bonk:

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by NE_FL »

BlacktopTravelr wrote: ...
I guess the difference here in the way I asked if they would tow a non-running non-tagged vehicle. :bonk:
The guy that shows up with the tow truck won't care if it was running and/or licensed! :smile:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

NE_FL wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote: ...
The guy that shows up with the tow truck won't care if it was running and/or licensed! :smile:

Maybe not, but AAA does and if they don't pay the tow fee guess who does? ;IDunno: And I can't pay a $700 tow fee. :OhNo;

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

The tow guy wants his money and he will most likely write the ticket in such a way that AAA will pony up without argument. AS for the MH, it may be an idle kicker has gone south. Let the engine idle til its at full operating temperature and see how that goes. Also check the transmission fluid to see if it even close. It will be off with a cold transmission but you should get a reading.

n-trude
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: Honda GW Trike

Post by n-trude »

I think you might finish the mini cabin first, or are you going to live in the RV?

In KC we had unregulated towing in the city, so it was wild prices. I had a wreck in a small truck, and they towed it 15 miles,
and charged my insurance $350. If you ever call a tow truck in KC, better know where you want it towed. If not they take it
to their lot, then when you decide, they charge, storage, and a 2nd tow.. a real racket..... :bang:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

John, you went about this all the wrong way.....

Here's my story...Ready for this, it's all true now, ya hear?

On my way home from work one evening, as I was pulling into the driveway, I tried shifting into first gear as I was slowing down to park the truck and the shifter got stuck and the truck abruptly came to a stop. I tried shifting it and doing stuff with the clutch and all that and it was just plain stuck and it wasn't going ANYWHERE.

I left it there and it was in kinda the middle of the drive way, though cars go around so it wasn't a huge issue. The next day the landlord made mention of it and he offered to move it with his forklift. Okay, no problem, and he moves it to its normal parking spot.

I talk to a guy at work and he say, "Get AAA" and they will help you. You see, I didn't even have it at that time, but I signed up for it online and got their basic plan that was something around 80 a year.

Meanwhile one of my friends was giving me a ride back and forth to work while I was dealing with trying to figure out what to do with the truck issue. Finally, I said I don't know what to do so I'll call AAA and see what they say about it. So I called them...the very nice lady told me that as long as my account was paid and that the vehicle was road worthy as far as insurance and registration, there was no problem to move my truck anywhere within 200 miles.

I said ok and she set me up to have it picked up and delivered to the destination of my choice. The only other stipulation was that I had to be there when they came to pick it up so they could check my ID and there' had to be someone at the destination to take possession of it when it got there.

Your problem is only that you basically told them you wanted to hire them to tow an unregistered and uninsured vehicle for the cost of their membership. Of course your going to get that email response back, don't you see that?

Oh and the other thing that's really nice about AAA is that you can have your buddies vehicle towed as long as you were a passenger in ti when it broke down! Don't be such a bummer about it, they will do it for you, just play the cards the right way. You'll have to have it registered and get liability insurance on it.

And ONE other thing John, if the vehicle, "starts", it's a "running" vehicle.

Yo-

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

ok, what most of the replies are missing is that I needed to know and asked if they would tow an uninsured and untagged vehicle. The answer I got was "No." A few people even said call and have the vehicle tower and then worry (my word) about if AAA will pay the tow fee. I can't take the chance that AAA might not pay and I am stuck with a huge tow fee. Especially since I am still getting less than $600 a month from SS. :bang:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

And we told you what you needed to do to get them to do it for you, which is still less cost than the tow truck.

Yo-

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by NE_FL »

OK, one more story and then John can decide for himself. When we moved into our rural home, the previous owner left an old hulk of a van in the "back forty." It hadn't run for years, had no plates or insurance, and was filled to the brim with junk (he was a pack rat). I got tired of looking at it, so I called AAA (I had a basic membership). They sent a tow truck, he put it on a flat bed and followed me to the previous owners house (he was at work). I told the tow guy where to put it, he did, and AAA paid the tab.

It was as simple as that. [emoji106]

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Ok, I have a simple question... which one of you people will volunteer to pay the $700 tow fee if (or when) AAA decides not to pay the tow truck company? I should have everyone volunteer that truly believes AAA will pay. I mean you have nothing to lose, right? So just send me the $700 via paypal and if AAA pays then I send the money back, but if they decline to pay your only out $700. :blink:

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by NE_FL »

You may already have "queered" the deal by asking if they would do this or that in very specific terms. If you had just called to enroll in a membership and then in a couple of days called for a tow, I am certain they would have accommodated you. As it stands now, I don't know. But if I were you I would enroll and call for a tow. If the guy comes out, it has been approved by AAA.

Now.........yer on yer own!! [emoji2]

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Agree you may have asked way too many questions!
Guess you have a Dear John letter now.