Been to the doctor lately?

Keep it civil
SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Been to the doctor lately?

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

I'm sitting in the lobby of the local wound healing center where I have an appointment to have a wound debrided and dressed. I just signed 7 pages of legal mumbo jumbo claiming to be for my protection, but clearly aimed at relieving the doctor and medical center of any responsibility in case anything goes wrong. Do you ever read this stuff before you sign? Then, when I had a couple of questions about what I was signing the registrar acted as if I was out of place of being silly for questioning. I guess I'm just a silly old person. Who knew? [emoji106]

Oh, the wound, in case you're wondering is just a cut on my tibia hat got infected, didn't respond to antibiotics at first, got worse before it got better, but seems to be getting better now.
lovineveryminuteofit

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Been to the doctor lately?

Post by Herb »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:I'm sitting in the lobby of the local wound healing center where I have an appointment to have a wound debrided and dressed. I just signed 7 pages of legal mumbo jumbo claiming to be for my protection, but clearly aimed at relieving the doctor and medical center of any responsibility in case anything goes wrong. Do you ever read this stuff before you sign? Then, when I had a couple of questions about what I was signing the registrar acted as if I was out of place of being silly for questioning. I guess I'm just a silly old person. Who knew? [emoji106]

Oh, the wound, in case you're wondering is just a cut on my tibia hat got infected, didn't respond to antibiotics at first, got worse before it got better, but seems to be getting better now.
Every piece of paper in a doctor or lawyer's office is for their benefit... If it helps the patient, it is an accident.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Herb wrote:
SuzyRidr2 wrote:I'm sitting in the lobby of the local wound healing center where I have an appointment to have a wound debrided and dressed. I just signed 7 pages of legal mumbo jumbo claiming to be for my protection, but clearly aimed at relieving the doctor and medical center of any responsibility in case anything goes wrong. Do you ever read this stuff before you sign? Then, when I had a couple of questions about what I was signing the registrar acted as if I was out of place of being silly for questioning. I guess I'm just a silly old person. Who knew? [emoji106]

Every piece of paper in a doctor or lawyer's office is for their benefit... If it helps the patient, it is an accident.
I agree. I concluded years ago that the HIPPA program was never about your privacy or protecting your medical information, but rather for protecting the medical professionals from law suits.

It seems my wound has developed into a stasis ulceration, so I'm going to have to wear 4 layers of compression bandaging from my knee cap to my toes for a few weeks. I can barely get a shoe on and I'm told I can't get this bandaging wet, so I guess I'll stock up on plastic wrap for taking showers. Oh well, things could be worse. ;IDunno:
lovineveryminuteofit

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:
Herb wrote:

I agree. I concluded years ago that the HIPPA program was never about your privacy or protecting your medical information, but rather for protecting the medical professionals from law suits.

It seems my wound has developed into a stasis ulceration, so I'm going to have to wear 4 layers of compression bandaging from my knee cap to my toes for a few weeks. I can barely get a shoe on and I'm told I can't get this bandaging wet, so I guess I'll stock up on plastic wrap for taking showers. Oh well, things could be worse. ;IDunno:
Sorry to hear about your health issues. Be sure to take good care of the wound, it can get dangerous. Keep the leg elevated, above the heart, as much as possible.

Had a friend of mine with one and it took over a year to get rid of it. Of course he had a multitude of health issues, but he refused to keep the leg elevated like he should have.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Herb wrote: Sorry to hear about your health issues. Be sure to take good care of the wound, it can get dangerous. Keep the leg elevated, above the heart, as much as possible.

Had a friend of mine with one and it took over a year to get rid of it. Of course he had a multitude of health issues, but he refused to keep the leg elevated like he should have.
Interesting that you say that because the doctor didn't advise me to elevate it and he said I can continue "normal physical/work activities" knowing that I worked at Lowe's Home Improvement part time which involves pounding a concrete floor for six to eight hours at a stretch.

Then again, I'm probably not your typical stasis ulcer case. I am active, I'm not a smoker, not obese, I don't have diabetes, poor circulation or high blood pressure, and I'm not on medications of any kind. They ran a full blood work up, a vascular test, and a bone scan to to rule out any complications. My condition is apparently primarily due to trauma and location of the wound (over the shin where blood flow is minimal).

I understand these can takes weeks and months to heal. Thanks for the word of caution. These kinds of things can go south quickly, especially when you're north of 60 years old. I plan on staying on top of it.
lovineveryminuteofit

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:
Herb wrote: Sorry to hear about your health issues. Be sure to take good care of the wound, it can get dangerous. Keep the leg elevated, above the heart, as much as possible.

Interesting that you say that because the doctor didn't advise me to elevate it and he said I can continue "normal physical/work activities" knowing that I worked at Lowe's Home Improvement part time which involves pounding a concrete floor for six to eight hours at a stretch.

Then again, I'm probably not your typical stasis ulcer case. I am active, I'm not a smoker, not obese, I don't have diabetes, poor circulation or high blood pressure, and I'm not on medications of any kind. They ran a full blood work up, a vascular test, and a bone scan to to rule out any complications. My condition is apparently primarily due to trauma and location of the wound (over the shin where blood flow is minimal).

I understand these can takes weeks and months to heal. Thanks for the word of caution. These kinds of things can go south quickly, especially when you're north of 60 years old. I plan on staying on top of it.
Because of your already good health you probably don't have to worry about it as much, but you really do need to take care of it. Elevating the leg, whenever possible, will help drain the wound.

Like I said, my friend was already 72 and had a slew of health problems, including poor circulation, insulin dependent diabetic (and no feeling in his lower legs and feet), had beat leukemia once and had already lost the toes off of one foot. The Leukemia came back and the treatments didn't work, this time, he passed away last month.