I gotta hand it to you people

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

I gotta hand it to you people

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

that live way up North. You don't let the cold temps keep you indoors. The present temp at 8 am is a balmy -12 degrees in Duluth. :eek: [space] :lolfall:

I have no idea how cold it got here last night, but Spanky (the dog) and I was trying to sleep and couldn't because of the cold temps we had. :bang: My temp thing says it is 21 degrees. That is a 33 degree difference and I'm freezing my ---- off. Image
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Re: I gotta hand it to you people

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I'm lucky ........southwest Louisiana has pretty much moderate weather compared to states further north ...I had kept a diary of days I could ride regardless of the temps ( above 32*) and no rain days, at least those where it wasn't raining when I left the house [emoji2] and if I remember right there were 318 days that I could have rode if I wanted to :cheers: :rock:
We have a cold from approaching us from the northwest ( most likely what you are going thru now John ) and it's supposed to get rather nasty for Friday and some of the weekend , if that's what you wanna call it....nothing like you Yankees are going through now and during this winter [emoji2]
But a warming trend follows suit early next week which is a normal weather pattern for the deep southwest US
We're just lucky to be born in such a moderate climate [emoji106]

duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:that live way up North. You don't let the cold temps keep you indoors. The present temp at 8 am is a balmy -12 degrees in Duluth. :eek: [space] :lolfall:

I have no idea how cold it got here last night, but Spanky (the dog) and I was trying to sleep and couldn't because of the cold temps we had. :bang: My temp thing says it is 21 degrees. That is a 33 degree difference and I'm freezing my ---- off. Image
I know how much gas your heater uses...if you can spare 15 amps, you might try to supplement with an electric heater. Anything you can find for makeshift insulation could help too. It's not going to get warmer any time soon.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

jonnycando wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote:that live way up North. You don't let the cold temps keep you indoors. The present temp at 8 am is a balmy -12 degrees in Duluth. :eek: [space] :lolfall:

I know how much gas your heater uses...if you can spare 15 amps, you might try to supplement with an electric heater. Anything you can find for makeshift insulation could help too. It's not going to get warmer any time soon.
Believe it or not, 1 layer of cardboard on the walls and ceiling will make a huge difference. I have done this before and it helps a whole lot.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I've been thinking about the cardboard to just cut down on the air coming through the walls at the seams. :Umm:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I've been thinking about the cardboard to just cut down on the air coming through the walls at the seams. :Umm:

It really does work, just be careful of fire with it.

By installing it correctly it will cut down on air leaks and insulate somewhat.

When I was a kid there was an old guy that lived in a little cabin, maybe 20x20, that he had built on his property in the 20's. No electric, no gas, it was heated with a little wood stove, and he cooked on it, about 8 inches in diameter and 30 inches high, the wood had to be less than 6 inch diameter and 10 inch long, I know cause I split a lot of it. It was insulated with cardboard, I think it was 3-4 layers of it. Dad used to take him to town pretty regular so I was in his place quite often. Even in really cold weather it was not uncomfortable.

He was a really nice guy, I used to love to listen to his stories about logging all over the North West.

Sure was sorry when I heard he died.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Aww yes the stories the old timers could tell. I wish I had got my mother to write down some of the stories she had of growing up on what is now a pecan ranch. She had some great stories she told us kid. The one about them dragging the mattresses outside during the summer to sleep under the stars always amused me. I asked one about the mosquitoes and she said as long as they had a breeze that had no problems.

Now all I need to do is find enough cardboard to cover the walls. It won't take much as it is only 7"5' square in the living area and 6"5' tall. :blink:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:Aww yes the stories the old timers could tell. I wish I had got my mother to write down some of the stories she had of growing up on what is now a pecan ranch. She had some great stories she told us kid. The one about them dragging the mattresses outside during the summer to sleep under the stars always amused me. I asked one about the mosquitoes and she said as long as they had a breeze that had no problems.

Now all I need to do is find enough cardboard to cover the walls. It won't take much as it is only 7"5' square in the living area and 6"5' tall. :blink:
find someone that just moved and get their boxes. When I moved this summer I had 2 pickup loads of boxes, that were folded flat, that I took to the recycle center. Some of the boxes were really big. I would have given them to someone, and hauled them for the person.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I'll check and see what the Dollar Store has. Anything outside is going to be wet with snow after last night. I know for a fact the rental place has boxes big enough that couches will fit in. I'd only need 6 of those and flattened they should fit in the van. :Umm: Any money I can save doing this is better for me. [emoji106]

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

When you finally add the necessary insulation to your place John........ go ahead and leave the card board boxes for added wind protection...
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

That's a good idea Johnny. Kind of like having two sets of insulation in place. One against the wind and the other against the temps. [emoji106] I can feel a slight breeze coming into the building where the two sheets of ply are mated up. The wall also gets a real cold feeling to it which makes the inside temps colder. :bonk:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

If you've got exposed studs, fasten the cardboard over them, and leave and air gap between cardboard and wall board. An air pocket is excellent insulation on its own!

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

That was what I heard and plan on doing. It is going to be a long cold weekend and I'm not sure I have enough propane to make it till Monday. :bonk: I might have to move next door when I run out and use the handicapped ladies electric heater till she gets back. :Umm:

I couldn't take a chance on running out so I went to town and got another bottle filled. It's strange cause yesterday when I got a bottle filled it was $1.70 a gal and today it was $2.70 a gal. which is what I have been paying. So I think she hit the wrong key yesterday. :lol:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:That was what I heard and plan on doing. It is going to be a long cold weekend and I'm not sure I have enough propane to make it till Monday. :bonk: I might have to move next door when I run out and use the handicapped ladies electric heater till she gets back. :Umm:

I couldn't take a chance on running out so I went to town and got another bottle filled. It's strange cause yesterday when I got a bottle filled it was $1.70 a gal and today it was $2.70 a gal. which is what I have been paying. So I think she hit the wrong key yesterday. :lol:
Maybe she just likes you...

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

APPLIANCE STORES HAVE BIG BOXES .... CARDBOARD AND DUCT TAPE MAKE MAKE EVERYTHING RIGHT
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:That was what I heard and plan on doing. It is going to be a long cold weekend and I'm not sure I have enough propane to make it till Monday. :bonk: I might have to move next door when I run out and use the handicapped ladies electric heater till she gets back. :Umm:

Hit on her next time you're shopping there John.....she sounds like a warm blanket to me [emoji106] :naughty: :naughty:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Suzuki Johnny wrote:

Hit on her next time you're shopping there John.....she sounds like a warm blanket to me [emoji106] :naughty: :naughty:
No way, she makes Kim Kardashian's butt look as small as Twiggy's. :bang:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
Suzuki Johnny wrote:

I have a friend that says, "fat women need lovin' too".

his motto, when we were chasing women, was; "Go fat and ugly early, saves time, trouble and money".

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
Suzuki Johnny wrote:

I'm with Johns' thinking, them fat chicks might need lovin' but someone else can give it to them!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Thanks for the backup Yo. You guys have to see this lady to believe how big she is. I don't think a normal tape measure is long enough to go around her waist. Ok that may be not true, but I didn't know they made pants that big. :eek: That is the closest pic of what she looks like and this girls thighs are way too small and she is a whole lot better looking.. :bang: