Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Ohhh Boy! This is A New One On Me!

Post by Designer »

:blink:

Forensic nightmare: The perils of touch DNA
by Michelle Malkin Creators Syndicate [space] Copyright 2017

Have you heard of “touch DNA?”

This mundane, yet menacing phenomenon exposes the double-edged sword of forensic science. With just an innocent handshake and indirect transfer of epithelial cells (tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of which we shed every day), you could find yourself suspected of heinous crimes.

Charged with rape. Or convicted of murder. Jailed for life. Or sentenced to death.

This year, I’ll be using my syndicated column and new investigative show on CRTV.com to shed light on the use and abuse of touch DNA in the criminal justice system. Detection methods involving tinier and tinier DNA samples have advanced rapidly during the last three decades. The genetic material comes from a cascading number of sources, including blood, saliva, semen, vaginal fluid, skin, sweat, and mucus.

But the mere presence of DNA does not prove a crime happened. It does not tell you how or when the material got to its discovered location. Contrary to Hollywood crime show oversimplifications, DNA is not a synonym for “guilty.”

You may be familiar with a few high-profile cases where touch DNA led investigators astray. Trace amounts of DNA on a knife and bra clasp in 2007 were key to American student Amanda Knox’s prosecution and conviction (along with her boyfriend) on charges of murdering her roommate in Italy. But when American forensic expert Dr. Greg Hampikian and others exposed contamination, interpretation, and replicability/reliability problems with the DNA evidence, the Italian Supreme Court threw out the convictions eight years after the killing.

At the annual American Academy of Forensic Sciences conference last February, experts spotlighted the case of a homeless man charged with murdering a Silicon Valley mogul at his mansion—despite the accused being hospitalized, nearly comatose, and under 24/7 medical supervision the night the crime occurred in 2012. As Scientific American reported, the defendant’s DNA had been transferred inadvertently by paramedics who had touched and treated him three hours before arriving at the businessman’s home. The EMTs used the same oxygen monitor on both men’s fingers, unknowingly transferring skin cell DNA from the homeless man to the multimillionaire he had never met.

The case provided a definitive example of “a DNA transfer implicating an innocent person,” the journal noted, and illustrated “a growing opinion that the criminal justice system’s reliance on DNA evidence, often treated as infallible, actually carries significant risks.”

Secondary transfer and contamination problems with touch DNA were most famously revealed by the “Phantom of Heilbronn,” a case involving skin cell DNA from a “mystery” female serial killer and thief in Germany—which police years later acknowledged most likely belonged to a lab or factory worker who had handled cotton swabs used by investigators across Europe.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: Ohhh Boy! This is A New One On Me!

Post by YoDude »

There was a movie that was made some time ago that this very situation was a major part of the film itself...I don't recall the name.

Set at sometime in the future, it was about a guy that was trying to go out into space on some program the government was running. To do so was supposed to be of the highest honor. The problem was, the guy that wanted to go, wasn't genetically perfect enough to go on the voyage. So, to get around it, he basically had to fake his way into the program. There was a lot of things involved in order for him to do this and one of them was that he had to keep himself scrupulously clean constantly. Later on someone got killed that was some overseer of the program and all hell broke lose for the authorities to find the culprit. Needless to say that by the end of the film, he accomplished his goal and made the program to go on the mission.

A lot of the times....I'm sure you see it if you're paying attention, Scifi can set the future.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

The Movie was Gattaca

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

This is just one more item on the list of why not to get caught up in the "Justice System." I believe there are more innocent people rotting in prison than most people think.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

FallenAngel wrote:The Movie was Gattaca
YES! Thank you!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

NE_FL wrote:I believe there are more innocent people rotting in prison than most people think.
Me too. When it comes to investigations and laboratory work, humans are involved, so both can be flawed and I personally believe they often are.

I've had to redo lab work twice in recent years to verify that a particular number that came back out of kilter was flawed. In both cases, the number came back normal on the redo. If something that routine can get screwed up that frequently, I don't want to think about how easy it would be to compromise or contaminate a DNA process or sample.

Remember, DNA samples are always handled by lay-persons and nonprofessionals before the forensic experts in the laboratory ever get their hands on them. Now that's something to think about.
lovineveryminuteofit

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

And the forensic expert has been known to screw up the results on purpose. :bonk: Just another reason to fear the justice side of the law. :OhNo; [space] :soda:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

When OJ was acquitted of the murder charge, one of the jurors made the comment that she didn't believe the DNA testing because she had once taken a pregnancy test that said she was, or wasn't pregnant ( I don't remember which way it was) and the test turned out to be wrong. I didn't blame her for her attitude.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.