When does a motorcycle NOT become a motorcycle?

Keep it civil
DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

When does a motorcycle NOT become a motorcycle?

Post by DevilsFan »

We're having this debate on the Honda site. With the CTX, for example, it comes with the DCT or manual transmission. (I have the manual because I just wasn't ready or sold on the DCT yet...although it's been tough as nails so far.)

Anyway, we're debating when technology advances a motorcycle so significantly that a "Rider" no longer has to do much to "ride". In this case we're talking about Honda's new concept that's been patented, but not released on any motorcycle yet, called the Rider Assist Technology. It self-balances a motorcycle by the use of a computer. This allows the motorcycle to avoid wobbling at slower speeds.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... om20170105

There's a few of us that are not in line with this thinking as it starts to take away from the motorcycle experience...like being a little dangerous. So, thought I'd get your takes on this. When does technology change something to where you just can't call it what it once was anymore?

[youtube][/youtube]
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: When does a motorcycle NOT become a motorcycle?

Post by navigator »

When you can put a leash on it and walk it like a dog, it ceases to be a motorcycle.

Would you hop on the back if you called Uber for a ride and they sent one of these under their driverless vehicle program? :uhh:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

If it has six cly and a reverse its a dam car! Just joking.
Two of my most fun bikes were my two SR 500 Yamaha's.One cly,kick start only, and you had to line up a pointer in a small glass on top the motor with the kicker before giving it a good strong kick.Chain drive and simple locknut valve adjustments. A big one cly IMO just feels so back to basics and flint stone and FUN,a motorcycle pure and simple!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

If you are on 2 motorized wheels and face in the breeze, what difference does it make if the manufacturer added safety features?
Put another way; I ride a boatload of miles each year, more than many. Does that mean others who ride less are not riders?
I say if that technology allows someone who would otherwise be unable or unwilling to do so, great.

On another note, that technology is going to do great stuff for prosthetic development.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Tbeck wrote:If you are on 2 motorized wheels and face in the breeze, what difference does it make if the manufacturer added safety features?
Put another way; I ride a boatload of miles each year, more than many. Does that mean others who ride less are not riders?
I say if that technology allows someone who would otherwise be unable or unwilling to do so, great.

On another note, that technology is going to do great stuff for prosthetic development.
I agree with you, with the caveat that the rider is basically in control, otherwise the rider is just riding bitch. [emoji2]
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Herb wrote:
I agree with you, with the caveat that the rider is basically in control, otherwise the rider is just riding bitch. [emoji2]
You say that like riding bitch is a bad thing. :lolfall:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

The problem with this much wizardry is not how it affects we who CAN ride, it's that it's going to put people on bikes that have no business being there!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

jonnycando wrote:The problem with this much wizardry is not how it affects we who CAN ride, it's that it's going to put people on bikes that have no business being there!
Suppose pinky T could learn to ride one of these?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
Herb wrote:
You say that like riding bitch is a bad thing. :lolfall:
It isn't, if you are a bitch.

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

DevilsFan wrote:When does a motorcycle NOT become a motorcycle?
[emoji2] The machine must have two inline wheels, but ONLY two. A single track vehicle. A motorcycle with a detachable side car still counts though.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

motorcycle
noun
a motor vehicle similar to a bicycle but usually larger and heavier, chiefly for one rider but sometimes having two saddles or an attached sidecar for passengers.

NOUN

A two-wheeled vehicle that is powered by a motor and has no pedals.

Legal definition of motorcycle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The legal definition of a motorcycle for the purposes of registration, taxation and rider licensing in most countries is a powered two-wheel motor vehicle. Most countries distinguish between mopeds up to 49 cc (scooters do not count as a separate category) and the more powerful, larger, vehicles known as motorcycles. Many jurisdictions include some forms of three-wheelers as motorcycles.

In Canada and the United States[4] three-wheeled motor vehicles fall under the auspices of motorcycle regulations. The laws and regulations for legal moped usage in the U.S. vary by state.[5]

In the United States, licensing requirements vary widely among the states and territories, but generally riders are required to pass written and practical (on-cycle) competency tests. In about half the states, successful completion of a rider education course (such as those offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation) is accepted by state licensing agencies in lieu of examination. The specifics of the motorcycle and moped laws in the U.S. can be obtained from each individual state's Department of Motor Vehicles website.

Definition of “motorcycle” - English Dictionary
motorcycle
noun [ C ] US ​ /ˈmoʊ·t̬ərˌsɑɪ·kəl/
​a two-wheeled vehicle powered by an engine

motorcycle
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
mo·tor·cy·cle (mō′tər-sī′kəl)
n.
A two-wheeled motor vehicle resembling a heavy bicycle, sometimes having a sidecar with a third wheel.

motorcycle (ˈməʊtəˌsaɪkəl)
motorbike a two-wheeled vehicle, having a stronger frame than a bicycle, that is driven by a petrol engine, usually with a capacity of between 125 cc and 1000 cc

n., v. -cled, -cling. n.
1. a motor vehicle resembling a bicycle but larger and heavier, chiefly for one rider but sometimes having two saddles or a sidecar for passengers.
v.i.
2. to ride on a motorcycle.
[1895–1900]
mo′tor•cy`clist, n.

motorcycle
Thesaurus

Noun 1. motorcycle - a motor vehicle with two wheels and a strong frame motorcycle - a motor vehicle with two wheels and a strong frame
bike

dirt bike, trail bike, scrambler - a lightweight motorcycle equipped with rugged tires and suspension; an off-road motorcycle designed for riding cross country or over unpaved ground

I guess it remains as to what country you're living in to find a suitable definition of a "Motorcycle"..

But since we are defining our own views.......here's my take on it

If you are able to "climb on" the vehicle without opening an attached door or canopy and it puts your knees in the breeze
then I would call that riding a motorcycle...
now we can all debate the age old question about trikes or three wheelers whether they are considered true motorcycles
...but they been around for a while and folks been riding them for decades... [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Bruce said"It's a chopper baby!"

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

When riding becomes boring instead of fun.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

DevilsFan wrote:
It self-balances a motorcycle by the use of a computer. This allows the motorcycle to avoid wobbling at slower speeds.

I'm surprised Harley didn't come up with that...
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

When the snow and ice are gone, and I live that long, I'll again throw my leg over my scooter and it will never cease being a motorcycle and what others call a motorcycle will be irrelevant.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

As the rider of an old 2001 VL1500 and proud member of the less than 3,000 miles annually club, I look at most of this high tech stuff as things that would be nice to have but not necessary for what I do. I read about engine modes, stability control, inertial measurement units, hill hold control, automatic slipper clutches, reactive cornering lights and my eyes glaze over. Hell, I'd consider ABS to be cutting edge if I had it and it's been on motorcycles, what, 20 years? :lmao:
lovineveryminuteofit

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I want to know how it stays upright? :Umm:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Just got in from a little ride.First in four days! A little slip and slide getting to the black top in the snow.Thought the nice cool 32 would pop the old IA member name back in but still a blank. Going back up to low 40s and even higher rest of week for highs so life good again!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I want to know how it stays upright? :Umm:
Gyroscopes....the same thing that makes autopilot work in an airplane.

Sandmanrrr
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Victory XCT VS 1400

Post by Sandmanrrr »

jonnycando wrote:people on bikes that have no business being there!
That is a huge concern :rock: