This Guide Will Help You Pronounce Common Louisiana Last Names And It’s Genius

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

This Guide Will Help You Pronounce Common Louisiana Last Names And It’s Genius

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

In a state that’s so unique and features a culture full of major Cajun and Creole influences, things can often be a bit overwhelming for out-of-towners, especially when it comes to pronouncing names! If you aren’t from this area of the country, you may easily out yourself as a tourist when you attempt to pronounce one of our native surnames. If you ever wished that you had your own personal cheat sheet to help navigate you through these difficult names, then it’s time you start writing a thank you letter to reddit user Pompous_Pilot.

The user uploaded this list to reddit on Monday, and explained that this was a sheet given to him on his first day of work at a sales job in New Orleans.

Focusing on popular French last names, the cheat sheet makes it easy for anyone to pronounce these names that tend to be a bit of a mouthful. The thread quickly caught on fire throughout the Internet, sparking debates on how some say you should actually pronounce these names.

Many in the comments section shared their own stories of families being divided over the pronunciation of their last name while others chimed in with surnames that they felt should've made the list. How many of the names listed above would you say are correctly pronounced?

To view the entire thread on reddit that now has over 1,300 comments, click here.
Do you agree with the way that these pronunciations are sounded out on this cheat sheet?

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/louisian ... iation-la/
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: This Guide Will Help You Pronounce Common Louisiana Last Names And It’s Genius

Post by old time rider »

[emoji2] You all are kind of like Kantuck,Kain tuck iee,or just Kentucky if not from around these parts.Love to hear folks talk from all over.Deep Ga. my pick of best to listen to . Billy Jack from purple board sure had a nice voice to listen to. Coon ass I have come to have as much respect for as hillbilly after reading some of your threads about them. :cheers:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Re: This Guide Will Help You Pronounce Common Louisiana Last Names And It’s Genius

Post by jonnycando »

If you speak any French you can decode them names, although the local pronunciation is not quite to spec.....Britishers do point out our English hardly to spec either.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Those are common last names? [space] [emoji2]
lovineveryminuteofit

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I recognize quite a few to be common to Louisiana! My company stretches into Lou and we have those names working for us in various capacities.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:Those are common last names? [space] [emoji2]

Yep...in deep south Louisiana, that is south of I-10, those are all common last names found in every phone book.... [emoji106]
There's quite a few missing from that list but I'm sure the list was comprised of a localized phone book from whatever parish
it was taken from....
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

AND SHIT IS PRONOUNCED ..... SHEEEE T
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Frankintruder
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Frankintruder

Post by Frankintruder »

I thought it was pronounced She IT.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Frankintruder wrote:I thought it was pronounced She IT.
No, it is SHEEeee...IT!!!

[emoji106]
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.