I'll be scarce on the board...

Keep it civil
Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Re: I'll be scarce on the board...

Post by Jolsen »

What's a trail cam? I just read footprints in the creek bed.

~Jols3n
via Tapatalk on Droid Turbo
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Like I said...today was the day to get him...

So, this evenings hunt I knew I would probably be able to call the hammer in. He returned my calls this mornings hunt and moved in fairly close, probably within 100 yards, but was inside the tree line. I snuck out around 10am, grabbed some lunch and a quick nap and was back up in my stand by 2:00. I was an hour early because he don't start moving until around 3:30 and I wanted time for the forest to settle down after my arrival.

I made the first call at precisely 3:30..just one quick grunt...nothing to write home about...sort of "eh, whatever" sounding. He grunted back and I was surprised at how close he already was. I was worried he would pop out into my shooting lane too close, so I dialed the scope all the way down to 4.

Nothing happened for about an hour...at 4:30 a couple squirrels started bitching at something about 125 yards up and out of my view. Turned out it was a Fox that was working them. The Fox kept coming in, crossing my lane and back out of view...did this for about 15 minutes. Sunset was at 4:53pm, and it's almost time...so I'm getting down to the wire, all my senses screaming to take a break and I only have until 5:13pm to pull the trigger.

My shooting lane has a view of 256 yards. At 4:55pm he stepped out into my field of view (I could not see him unless I was using Bino's or the scope, its cloudy out and daaark) ...anyhoo, he steps out at the very end of my lane, which to me is just outside of my range under current light conditions. Unfortunately, he was walking AWAY from me. But there was hope, the Fox hooked me up by stepping out behind him causing him to stop and look back, presenting a little bit of broadside to me..YAY!...I had about a 2 second window to fire. I'm holding my breath and begin to squeeze and about 300ms before my gun went off...he snorted and turned back away...too late....gun fired just as he turned...I was already threading the needle with him quartering away from me...did I get him?

Nope, he ran like a mother phucker into the woods. I spent the next hour on my hands and knees with 3 other hunting partners running grids trying to find blood.

Nothing.

On the upside...I saw him as I was leaving the woods on my ATV...I might be broken hearted...but he was heading back to my stand!!!

SO, the hunt continues. This concludes my field report.
-DBTO

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

98VS1400 wrote:I felt like I was there with ya Mike. Good report.
No kidding! What a suspenseful tale. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Hopefully he'll be there next time, huh?

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

OK this encourages me to write my story.

~Jols3n
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

So I had gone out to my dads stand that morning. I stayed out in stand until noon without one single sight or sound. Feeling awfully discouraged as this was my first time out hunting I returned back to the house severely disappointed.

After talking things over with my dad and my cousin who owns the other half of the property . we decided that I would use my late uncle Gerald'a stand. Now this stand is not an any ordinary stand that it has been dubbed the skyscraper it stands over 35 feet off of the ground and is located at the very top of the field overlooking the entire field . any shot you take from this stand is guaranteed to be over 200 yards away. I was informed by my cousin that this is a stand that requires sight and not sound you will not hear the deer you will only see them. He also informed me that the deer almost always come out of the south east corner.

So we go back out to stand at 2 o'clock I know that I have until 7:15 before it is legally sundown. After playing with my scope over and over again to see things closer, that I think I am seeing, but I really am not seeing anything but false hopes. I eventually have given up hope of seeing anything.

The Sun has set down over the top of the trees and the clock says 6:55. I checked the weather there is a blizzard coming tonight so my hopes of hunting tomorrow are looking grim. At 7:05 I get this feeling. I am being watched. I am in the woods alone tonight...

I slowly turn around to the north west. And there is 2 does. But that window is closed. Crud I will never get it open without frightening them away. This is my only chance. I ease the window open. I look at them they are on alert. They are looking right in my direction.

I pause and glance with my eyes at my phone 7:12.

They go back to eating 7:14. I reach for my "speaker" take a deep breath hold it aim "boom".

Did I hit? They ran down over the edge of the hill. I text my cousin to say I shot. 7:15. I light up a smoke and expect a 10 minute wait for him to ride the ATV to me. I turn and there he is @ 7:16.

He then informed me I made him pee on himself and his gun as he was urinating when I fired.

So we go to the where they were standing when I shot. No blood around. I am heart broken. I must have missed. He asked me where they went. I said down the hill due north.

So we start walking 10 yards away in the tall grass I see blood.

Could it be?

Did I hit?

10 more yards a lot more blood.

15 more yards down the hill.

Bingo not even 35 yards away from where she was when I fired. I field dressed my 1st animal ever with instructions from my uncle Gerald's son. I may have got the smallest one of the weekend but I got one 175lbs.

~Jols3n

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

My dad got on for Christmas one year. It looks like a tree. Now he can't find it....

~Jols3n

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

He hid it too well. It had been there for like 7 years when we found what was left of it.

Any constructive criticism about my deer story?

~Jols3n

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

I didn't know he was on his way out there lol

~Jols3n

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

So send it to the publisher to be polished and wait for the check?

~Jols3n

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

cheapcookies wrote:No, no, put it on a pay per click site and wait for the residuals to come pouring in.

-cc
Lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 with Tapatalk 2
-DBTO

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Interesting thread, too bad I can't go along on these hunts. I'm gonna have to check into whether I can own a crossbow or not? Some people say I can and others say I can't. The lady at the Sheriff's office said I could own a shotgun, but I know she is wrong about that. Hell, I'm not even suppose to own a BB gun. :bang:

The lawyers don't tell you this stuff when they offer you a felony, but they will say they kept you out of jail for 30 days and a misdemeanor. They used to give you 30 days and let you do it on weekends at 3 days at a time. Hell, I can do 10 weekends to get this felony off my record. :hellfire:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Too many felons have crossbows for it to be any firearms. Besides some states even allow felons to own black powder to hunt with. At least it is a start.

The really sad part is there is a way to get your gun rights back, but they don't tell you what it is and if you don't know the hoops to jump thru you will screw up and have to wait anther 10 years to start the dog and pony show all over again. Even if I was to start it right now I would be 73 before they would even look at my request to reinstate my gun rights. :hellfire:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Crossbow is not a firearm via ffl rules and regs. He can buy one no background check required. No law says he can't. Some states will even allow felons to have a muzzle loader.

~Jols3n

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Fuck a duck

~Jols3n

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Yep I hate autocorrect. I use speech to text and it messes things up a lot and doesn't believe in punctuation

~Jols3n

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Hand typed when speech to text keeps messing up and won't type what I want

~Jols3n

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

No it types it.

~Jols3n

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Pictures or it didn't happen.

~Jols3n

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

Still working him....could have had a nice Doe this morning just after legal sunrise. I passed...got other things I'm working on...**evil grin**
-DBTO

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Waiting

~Jols3n