The thrill is gone

Keep it civil
MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

The thrill is gone

Post by MattSunn »

I think I may getting over this motorcycle thing. ;IDunno: I'm kind of ambivalent about it this year. I really don't want to work on them anymore and I have zero desire to take any long trips on one. I find I'm forcing myself to ride because I'm invested. A 100 mile day seems to beat the crap outta me and my hands are getting worse, particularly my clutch hand. I dunno, I had this funk several years ago and only put a total of about 1000 miles on the bikes that year. I'm thinking it may be about time to pack it in and find a new hobby. :bonk:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: The thrill is gone

Post by Tbeck »

I ride mostly recreational these days, not much commuting.
I will just go for a putt solo but most of my riding is two up with the Mrs these days. I do thoroughly enjoy our long weekend or week to two week trips, but we never have a place to be, so we ride and sight see, stopping when we want each day.
Maybe you need to do what I did and get off the cruisers? One bike you really want to go out on is better than loads of bikes you aren't wanting to ride.
Just tossing it out there.

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

Yeah, I understand. I myself have no desire to go 1000 miles in a day, or ride in snow, sleet, or rain, or go on cross-country tours hitting all kinds of traffic, all the while feeling very vulnerable to all the idiots out there. So, I pick my times, head out just for the fun of it with no goals in mind, and just meander my way through the country-side. Even 30 min or an hour on the bike makes me feel like a new man! Of course it's a lot easier when you're retired to pick a time to ride, and if you're not that day will eventually come. It's not unusual to take a break from whatever your interests are. And when you get back into it you might even wonder why you ever quit.

[emoji41]

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

My every day ride is like dope still.Can see me getting real small bikes soon when I wake and look like I just escaped from a old folks home for a hour or hours :eek: .After a climb on the bike and in the wind feel so much better.Love riding the bike to places in states not often in.Hate big places more with age.Big meets not fun like twenty years ago.A few old motorcycle friends with tents on the bikes is still great.Every where we stop other old guys all ways tell us about how they did ride and wish they had not sold the bikes. Do what you can as long as you still like it. :cheers:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

I was thinking about this post while I slept last night. I'm a little younger, but that's not a big deal to this discussion.

Some may recall that I took an entire summer off about 15 years ago, seemed like everything was coming at me too fast and I didn't feel safe which sucked the fun out of riding.
A couple years back the Mrs went home to England to help her mom who was having some medical concerns. She was gone for a year and again I didn't have any desire to ride. I would take the bike out maybe once a week but the rides lacked the usual up lifting appeal. I instead turned my attention on some ​remodeling projects.
Last year I again wasn't really excited about riding, so I decided to go back to a tour and picked up a HD. It took me 2 weeks just to relearn how to turn it, and it was a good wake-up call.
I traded the HD for the Concours 14 at the end of the summer and was more at home riding. Used the fall to work out what mods it needed and the winter bringing the mods to completion.
Yesterday the wife and I headed over RT6, buzzed some nice mountain roads in 60-70 degree temps. We racked up a measly 200 miles of mountain roads, stopping a lot and sharing a sandwich and drinks. It was a lovely day out putting together.
The point I guess is that I am not 40 years of age anymore. 1000 mile days riding to a destination on a noisy heavy heat producing VTwin are definitely way behind. I have more pains, vision isn't as good and reaction time slowed some. So I don't have any expectations when I go riding. If we go 50 or 500, it really just boils down to sharing time with my wife.
I don't know what to say to you my ole friend other than maybe change up bikes or reconsider the ride expectations. I know that the clutch has been giving your hand some issues, so maybe something with no clutch, or a butter soft pull? I don't know, but I do know that riding shouldn't be an exercise in pain. I hope you find a way past this because I have always enjoyed riding with you at the NE meet and rides.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I've talked to several folks who have just out of the blue, after numerous years of riding sell their bikes and just give up on riding altogether...
Never have understood the concept.....maybe riding motorcycles wasn't truly ingrained in their persona in the first place :eek:
Other than a debilitating incident where I am just unable to ride anymore....I'll ride until that day happens.....
Used to I'd ride everyday either to go to the store or run an errand, any excuse to get on the bike and it usually lasted more than just the time it would have taken me to do the chore [emoji106]
Now ......not so much.....riding three days a week to the golf course and usually a weekend ride with the Retiree group or the HOG group....fits my needs.
But I don't think I will ever utter those words......"The thrill is gone".. ....NAY
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

PCC
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: GW TRIKE + 1300 Yamaha V Star

Post by PCC »

I heard some people say that they lose the desire to ride.
I have felt that way about horseback riding, boating and camping but never about motorcycles.
Although some feel a trike is not a motorcycle. For me it is close enough.
In the beginning I had only bought the GW Trike to accommodate the needs of my husband at the time.
Now I really enjoy the stability, room and extras that the GW Trike offers. It makes the wind in the hair fun. [emoji2]

My suggestion is to determine if a different machine would refuel the enjoyment. If not... pack it up and find the hobby that does light the fire! [emoji41]
Read My Daily Musings On Numerous Topics
Especially Riding Motorcycles & Camera Captures
Of My Meanderings...

https://pcove99.wixsite.com/website

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

Sorry ya feel this way, Mattsun.

I'll throw this out there - we keep getting new members on our CTX forum. Many are older guys who currently own, or have owned many cycles. They are finding the Honda CTX to be more practical for their issues of "getting older". Most seem to desire the DCT (Dual-Clutch Transmission) models to the manual because of arthritis or carpal tunnel.

A relatively affordable motorcycle (some of the NOS are going for under $3999) it's great for the around-the-town trips, can handle the twisties and the open highways surprisingly well. It's no speed demon but it's comfortable and, for me, it put the "fun" back in riding.

See if you can test ride a DCT model. You may decide to go this route and, should you just decide you're done with riding at least ya didn't break the bank.
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

DF saw one yesterday when a old Alaska trip friend and me stopped at a dealer after the AM break up of old coots.It was out frot but did not get to talk to the rider before going home. Does it give you the choice of clutch or auto? This one was all most a flat black.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

old time rider wrote:DF saw one yesterday when a old Alaska trip friend and me stopped at a dealer after the AM break up of old coots.It was out frot but did not get to talk to the rider before going home. Does it give you the choice of clutch or auto? This one was all most a flat black.
There's no hand clutch, everything is buttons.

There's "Drive" mode, "Sport" mode (which most use this) and then "Manual" mode (where you use the + and - buttons to put it in the gear you want). What happens is the computer will calculate your riding habits and after about 500-600 miles it will begin to auto-shift as you normally would.

So far the ONLY issues is when some people shut off the engine in gear. When re-started they have trouble getting it out of the last gear it was in. So far, from the reports, all you do is re-start it and wait a few seconds for the computer to adjust down to Neutral. This rarely occurs though.

There has been nobody on the CTX forum that has had to take their DCT in for repair. One has had theirs for 4 years now, so the CTX has a few years to prove itself.

There is also a 1300cc model, although it's been discontinued in the US. You may come across one of those for about $10K or less. They are shaft-driven.

***The biggest complaints for the CTX700 is:
1. The seat - I have a Corbin on mine which changed everything!!! That stock seat was just too painful.
2. Chain dive - many would prefer the shaft but it's already been proven it would just take away too much power.
3. Larger engine - many complain about wanting more power. The response is basically, "Then get a bigger bike!". It is what it is. It's a 680cc engine. To complain it doesn't power like a 1500cc is ridiculous! I can do 95mph on the highway and it doesn't wind out like an Intruder would.
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

To me it is in fact a strong trait to be able to just quit riding and go on in life with other things to keep going. I fear I don't have that strength. Hope I never have to find out.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

MattSunn wrote: I think I may getting over this motorcycle thing. ;IDunno: I'm kind of ambivalent about it this year. I really don't want to work on them anymore and I have zero desire to take any long trips on one. I find I'm forcing myself to ride because I'm invested. A 100 mile day seems to beat the crap outta me and my hands are getting worse, particularly my clutch hand. I dunno, I had this funk several years ago and only put a total of about 1000 miles on the bikes that year. I'm thinking it may be about time to pack it in and find a new hobby. :bonk:
[emoji2] Paul, I can sort of relate. I still enjoy the ride well enough, but last year, and so far this year, I haven't been all that motivated. We've been doing renovations to this old house which has taken my focus, pushing thoughts of riding to the background. I have been working on the B-i-L's Sporty, which is a nice distraction from the reno work. It's gonna look good. Forwards, new front end, other stuff...

Only you can figure out what's best for you, but the first thing I thought after reading your post is, what if you took it down to only one bike? That would force you to decide what it is you still want from a motorcycle, if anything? :confused:

Whatever you decide bro... cheers. :cheers:

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

Lotta good suggestions here. Thanks everyone. [emoji106] I believe I will cut down the fleet. Gonna be hard to let some of 'em go, but on reflection it's probably a good idea, and works towards my final goal. If that kickstarts my interest at all, I may then look at that DCT Honda. I was eyeballing that bike when my clutch hand started to aggravate me. Who knows, we'll see how it goes. Anybody need an extra bike? [emoji2]

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Nooo! You'll regret it!
-DBTO

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Only 1 bike I ever sold that I didn't have some regrets...

The ST1100 was a great looking and riding bike but a bitch to work on and I never could get it to quit overheating at low speeds. Total pain in the ass. I was really glad to see it go, especially since I made a profit on it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

I FIND THAT THE LEVEL OF DRIVERS OUT THERE NOW ARE TO BUSY ON THEIR PHONES MAKES ME RELUCTANT TO RIDE AS MUCH, I BOUGHT A CONVERTIBLE A WHILE AGO THAT COMES REAL CLOSE TO THE PLEASURE OF THE RIDE, PLUS SAFETY, AND EXTRA COMFORT, ARE ALMOST THERE. MOST OF THE RIDING I DO IS IN OFF PEAK TRAFFIC TIMES AND CLOSER TO HOME, A USED CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE COMES CLOSE, OR A MIIATA IS NICE ! I STILL KEEP MY BIKES, FOR WHAT I'D GET ON THE MARKET, IT'S WORTH KEEPING THEM AROUND, FOR WHEN I RIDE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD.
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

MattSunn wrote:Lotta good suggestions here. Thanks everyone. [emoji106] I believe I will cut down the fleet. Gonna be hard to let some of 'em go, but on reflection it's probably a good idea, and works towards my final goal. If that kickstarts my interest at all, I may then look at that DCT Honda. I was eyeballing that bike when my clutch hand started to aggravate me. Who knows, we'll see how it goes. Anybody need an extra bike? [emoji2]
The Africa Twin also comes in a DCT model. Matter of fact, the guys who reviewed it said they enjoyed the DCT on the off-roads better that on the pavement! That surprised me.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Maybe a nice Honda VFR1200F with the tour bags and trunk with the auto trans 8-)

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

Tim, there really is a youtube video for everything! [emoji2]

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »