My 7" tablet doesn't work

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

My 7" tablet doesn't work

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

with the board. Since we were talking about tablets and how good/bad they were I thought I would see what the board looked like on mine. Well, let's just say it doesn't work as good as I had hoped it would. I got the General Chit Chat board to show up but that was it. It wouldn't go to any of the threads. It could be because I am using my laptop as a wi-fi hotspot and it makes the tablet slower than normal. :bang: But seeing as how my laptop is right beside me you would think it would work better than it does. ;IDunno: :Umm: I'll have to take the tablet to the library and see what it does then. :blink:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Re: My 7" tablet doesn't work

Post by ddog6900 »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:with the board. Since we were talking about tablets and how good/bad they were I thought I would see what the board looked like on mine. Well, let's just say it doesn't work as good as I had hoped it would. I got the General Chit Chat board to show up but that was it. It wouldn't go to any of the threads. It could be because I am using my laptop as a wi-fi hotspot and it makes the tablet slower than normal. :bang: But seeing as how my laptop is right beside me you would think it would work better than it does. ;IDunno: :Umm: I'll have to take the tablet to the library and see what it does then. :blink:
Tapatalk is the answer. Download for free from the Play Store.

Sent from my Nexus 5. Don't worry iPhone, you'll get here, someday.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Ok, I'll check it out and see what it is all about. Thanks :HatTip:

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

Hrmmm... :Umm:
My iPad works just fine!
:fu:
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Detachable keyboard or not? I bought a case that has a keyboard for less than $10 and like it. It also has a small leg on the back that lets the screen set up while the keyboard lays flat. I guess the only real drawback to this tablet other than size is the fact that it doesn't have a full size USB spot. It did come with a micro-USB adapter that I can plug any USB device into. My advice to anyone thinking on buying a tablet would be to read the reviews of the device you are thinking on buying. I wish I had. :cry:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

98VS1400 wrote: You run a different browser on the tablet?
No, I use the Google browser on both. It also has an android browser that I can use, but has Google Chrome installed. I can't really tell any difference in them since all I use them for is to load whatever internet page I am using at the time. :blink:

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

Asus makes good stuff. I use their laptops. Any other laptop dies in about a year in the truck. I get 3-4 years out of my rog laptops.

~Jols3n
via Tapatalk on Droid Turbo
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

98VS1400 wrote:
cheapcookies wrote:Now I gotta convince myself I need it bad enough to part with the dough.

Another question I have is about updates. Do Windows tablets update the same way their desktop products do?

-cc
If they are like all previous Windows OS, they update with security patches and the like, but if they roll out Windows 9, you'll pay for it. Unlike iOS or Android which supply updates to new OS for free.
Actually, Android is totally reliant on the manufacturer to provide updates. The source is public license, because it's Linux based, Google releases the OS, but it's up the manufacturer to make it compatible with the device hardware.

And, you won't necessarily pay for the newest version of Windows. They work backwards. They made their OS hardware specific (IBM compatible). Certain changes are required to make it ARM compatible (which is what about 80% of Android devices are). If they were to redesign the kernel and make it Linux based, they would have to make the OS free and only charge for support or premium features.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

The price will remain close to the same till q2 2015

~Jols3n
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

I have never had luck with any refurbished electronic stuff.

~Jols3n

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

Jolsen wrote:I have never had luck with any refurbished electronic stuff.

~Jols3n
I have. What do you have to lose with something that has been looked over and tested twice. Only if you buy it from a reputable site though, like Newegg.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

Ahh the great tablet debate again. :HatTip:

Android vs IOS

I see there is little love of the IOS of apple. Not sure why, it works well. I have no special love of the Apple. My only reasons I love the products is because or repair-ability and reliability. I have an iPad I repaired which is 3 years old. It still works great. I would highly recommend one as a refurb from apple direct.

As for other brands.
Yes the Asus tablets are nice. Repairable, IMO not very reliable. I have seen ones just die. No reason what so ever, but they "BRICKED" for unknown reasons.
I have seen this commonly with the Asus & Acer brands mostly. Not knowing the whole story, other than, "My tablet just stopped working"
Samsung tablets. These are good tablets, repairable, reliable, not prone to "BRICKING" only down side, if the glass breaks, so does the touch capability as well. The higher end units have the SD card expansion, and I have seen USB adapters for the data port.

Look the whole thing boils down to this... You get what you pay for.
Just like our bikes. The intruder is a nice well built machine. We all know we can get a spring kit for possibly less money than Designer sells his, but will they last?
Do you buy the rear tire for $50 or $100 bucks? You know which one will perform better in the rain, or hot temps, or in general. Will the $50 tire work as well as the $100 tire? Maybe for a while, but it only lasted 8,000 miles, and the $100 tire lasted 14,000 miles.
So which was the better investment? :Umm:

Pick up the $79.00 tablet. Does it feel cheaply made? Can you flex it? If you dropped it, do you think it would survive? What accessories are there for it?
If you google the name, what comes up? :hat:

Like I said, I have no special love of the Apple. Yes I own an iphone 5S and iPad2. However my PC is a Windows 8 customer built rig. Windows 8 only to force myself to know the OS. I actually hate Windows 8 :bang: :fubird:

The windows based tablets are Win8. They are pretty, fairly well built, and a muthafukka to repair. They really wind up being not cost effective to repair if they break.

Again its all relevant to how you treat things. If you are going to have a toddler using your tablet like a hammer, don't expect it to hold up to the abuse. :angel:
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

When it comes to tablets it comes down to two things,
1. Know the reputation of the tablet maker. If it has a bad rep there is a reason for it. It may take a dump right when you need it most.

2. Know the return policy of the place where you buy your tablet. If something should go wrong with it can you return it for repairs or money back? Oh and be sure you get as many features (USB ports etc...) as you can. You also might think about if you need an external keyboard or a built in on screen keyboard. The on screen keyboard takes up a lot of space
on the tiny screen.

Most of the laptops I have been getting have 3 USB ports and I need at least that many. That means once I get my laptop set up to get on the web I have no ports for anything else. No camera, no flash drive, not anything. :bang: My tablet has just one mini usb port. But it did come with an adapter to hook up a normal usb device. I can hook it up to the laptop if I need to transfer files, pics, songs or whatever.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

A powerful USB hub. I used to have like 10 external drives. So glad 10gb HD are in the past.

~Jols3n

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

cheapcookies wrote:Get a USB hub.

-cc
Make sure if using powered USB devices, the port can power all the subsequent ports of the hub. Otherwise, you'll need an externality powered hub.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Read online 3rd party reviews.

~Jols3n

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

cheapcookies wrote:Often I will read the newegg reviews and such. They are better than you might think.

-cc
Right there. Any third party reviews will do. Read the good and the bad. It's all a crap shoot anyway. I just stick with the tried and true brands and don't cheap out if you want something that will last.

My favorite brands:
ASUS
MSI
Samsung
nVidia
Viewpoint
Lenovo

All make good build quality and last a long time. When building a Windows PC, I only use ASUS motherboards. They stand the test of time. Had one in the first PC I built, still running strong.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

cheapcookies wrote:Nothing wrong with ASUS boards. I happened into some Intel boards and that's what I'm running now on i5s.

I'm warming up to that Asus T100TA (I think) 64gb Windows tablet. wj_hurd wasn't real fond of Asus tablets bricking and likes Samsungs.

I also think highly of the Samsung but haben't found anything but Android from them.

-cc
And tablet is susceptible to a brick. Bad flash chip, bad battery, corrupt boot loader image, the list goes on.

There are Windows Samsung tablets, but they're not cheap. I believe $350 - 400 is the cheapest I've seen. But even a cheap Samsung tablet is better than an expensive off brand.

How you care for your electronics is paramount. If you abuse them, they won't last long. That includes hastily plugging in the charger, constantly recharging the battery when it doesn't need it and toying with things like overclocking and undervolting if you don't know enough about it.

That being said, I've never bought a bad ASUS product. Not one RMA. Ever.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Holy crap, I did a google search for that tablet and that is expensive. I'll stay with my RCA 10" tablet for now and hope it does the job on the road like I want. If there hadn't of been a 45 minute wait at Walmart for Black Friday on Thanksgiving I would have bought one then. But those long lines and angry people made it sound better to pay a little more and go home right then.

Just a little FYI... I saw 4 LEO cars parked next to 4 signs that said "NO PARKING FIRE ZONE" and this was after I watched the local LEO write tickets for parking there that afternoon. At a cost of $275 each. I'd have taken pics of the cars parked there and asked the judge what the difference was?

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

cheapcookies wrote: The difference is they are emergency vehicles, not cars and are not subject to the same standards everybody else is.

-cc
They are not emergency vehicles when used to transport an LEO to Walmart to do security duty during Black Friday on Thanksgiving day. There is no emergency going on at the time they are parked in a no parking spot, especially one with a sign and a spot where people were written a ticket for parking there earlier in the day. No one, especially someone that is suppose to enforce the law, is about the law. We allow certain people to break the law at times, but they are still breaking the law. If the city or county D.A. wanted to he/she could enforce that law and make it stick.

The real reason I don't say anything to them is because I park my bike in the striped area in the Walmart parking lot. I did get caught taking a pic of a local police car parked next to that No parking sign once and I was legally parked. He asked me what I was doing and I told him I was taking a pic of someone breaking the law. He asked to see my DL and insurance papers and I asked him why as I wasn't driving anything at the time. Hell I wasn't even on my bike or in a car. He decided it wasn't worth the hassle once he saw the crowd we were getting. :lolfall: