Right To Bear Arms - Can an ex-felon get it back??

Keep it civil
BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Re: Right To Bear Arms - Can an ex-felon get it back??

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Tbeck wrote:Tom, we can't play the blame game when we don't do a thing to demand that our rights are respected and adhered to by our legally elected representation. The SCOTUS renders an opinion that bears the weight of law, BUT it is NOT law. Only the Congress has that authority. Unfortunately our Congress has been remiss in doing their job and "We the People" have done NOTHING about it.
The BoR is ABSOLUTE in it's protections, so why all the state and federal gun regulations without an amendment? Because we allow it.
Hell if Republican's and American voters can put Donald Trump in the White House, we can't blame liberals and the political establishment when our RIGHT's are violated. That's another one on us.
Heck even in this post folk's who support the 2nd have condoned depriving of the 2nd to certain individual's. You can't allow ANY end-around of any right no matter how well intended OR you render the Constitution a useless document.
Now I will step off my soap box because you've all seen me post this many times before.
Yeah.. I wish i could do something but i'm only one person.. And an ex felon.. So who's going to listen or be moved by my words. I wish more people would open their eyes and move things back in the right direction so the punishment can end and our rights and freedoms can be restored. Live and let live. Shame we the people have to ask or beg for the right to protect ourselves, family and property from threats all over.. And to be denied it.

VRH
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: VS1400GLP - VL1500 C90T

Post by VRH »

Bronx, Since you are in PA, go to the PAFOA, and look up GunLawyer001. He is one of the best, and will not steer you wrong. http://forum.pafoa.org/forumdisplay.php ... dca2587ce7

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

VRH wrote:Bronx, Since you are in PA, go to the PAFOA, and look up GunLawyer001. He is one of the best, and will not steer you wrong. http://forum.pafoa.org/forumdisplay.php ... dca2587ce7
Thanks brother. Much appreciated.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

He says..
"As long as NY thinks you have an un-pardoned felony conviction, that's a
lifetime federal prohibitor that bars you from guns or ammo in every state.

You'd need to talk to a NY lawyer to see what options exist for relief
from the state of NY."

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Tbeck wrote:And there we have it, WHY the second isn't absolute as the founders intended.
"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arm's, shall not be infringed."
Does ANYONE see the word except at the end?
First we allow this RIGHT that CANNOT be infringed to be infringed for person's convicted of a crime. Then for public safety, and we add in under 21, financial irresponsible, mental health, etc...
AND this comes from folk's who claim to support the second.
Here's an idea; if we REALLY want exceptions to the second, how about an AMENDMENT? An amendment is the ONLY means by which exceptions can LEGALLY be made to the BoR.
I will tell you why, because it would NOT pass!
I agree with you brother and would like to correct one of my previous posts.......
BRONX INTRUDER wrote:I hear ya S. Obviously if i were a mental case or violent animal.. Prohibiting would make sense and in that case should probably not be on the streets. Lol.
It's like being punished for life though in my case for something so small and juvenile. Damn shame.
Suppose only time will tell what will happen.
What i meant is places all over have the right to refuse service and people can and should use common sense. If everyone was armed.. Crime would drop. Since everyone isn't and depends on the gov for protection and the criminals are accessing arms.. We are left with our pants down. Everyone makes mistakes but as you said.. There is no exceptions on our 2nd. People are giving the gov all the power and we are being enslaved more and more.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Tbeck wrote:Tom, we can't play the blame game when we don't do a thing to demand that our rights are respected and adhered to by our legally elected representation. The SCOTUS renders an opinion that bears the weight of law, BUT it is NOT law. Only the Congress has that authority. Unfortunately our Congress has been remiss in doing their job and "We the People" have done NOTHING about it.
The BoR is ABSOLUTE in it's protections, so why all the state and federal gun regulations without an amendment? Because we allow it.
Hell if Republican's and American voters can put Donald Trump in the White House, we can't blame liberals and the political establishment when our RIGHT's are violated. That's another one on us.
Heck even in this post folk's who support the 2nd have condoned depriving of the 2nd to certain individual's. You can't allow ANY end-around of any right no matter how well intended OR you render the Constitution a useless document.
Now I will step off my soap box because you've all seen me post this many times before.
I know what you're saying, but there are local govts controlled by liberals who would be not affected one iota by doing anything to demand our rights.
You could have a parade down 5th Ave and tar and feather DiBlasio to loosen gun control in NYC and it ain't gonna happen.

VRH
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: VS1400GLP - VL1500 C90T

Post by VRH »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:He says..
"As long as NY thinks you have an un-pardoned felony conviction, that's a
lifetime federal prohibitor that bars you from guns or ammo in every state.

You'd need to talk to a NY lawyer to see what options exist for relief
from the state of NY."

Man, that is a bummer. But, its been long enough, and maybe a NY lawyer can get you a pardon or even expunged.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Bronx, I was afraid that might be the case. Now was it a federal case/crime, or state? I am assuming federal since you posted federal pen early on. Might be an idea to contact the federal courthouse nearest you for guidance.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Fed. 2 yrs.. Did 18 months and 2 halfway. Long story short..
Went to visit sis in NC and was going to stay there. Got drivers lic out there and a job, purchased a singleshot 12ga. Stood probably couple months before mom wanted me to go back to NY.. I didnt want to but it was mom. So went back and took shotgun with. Mom had several rifles and lic for them in NY and we grew up going to range in long Island. But i messed up bringing it back, listening to someone and altering it and getting ratted out by my cousins bf when he got in another jam with law. Moms weapons were taken and her lic revoked. My case was let go by state and fed took over. Sent to federal camp as it was non-violent and first offence. Jacked up my life in reapect to my rights and freedom. I wanted to go Army but fam always told me i couldnt because my asthma.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Yah I would contact the federal courthouse nearest you (in PA would be fine) and they should be able to steer you in the right direction.
Even though it took place in NY, because it is a federal order, any federal office in any state should be able to help point you to the appropriate paperwork to petition the courts.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Bronx, here's a link with a contact at the end of the page.

http://www.pardonattorney.com/firearms-rights

I hope this helps

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Tbeck wrote:Guy's the issue Bronx is going to run into is that it's a federal conviction, not state. State would be a lot easier. Federal he's gonna be fighting the federal firearms act of 68. It can be done, but it's going to be a long road.
The Feds don't care if the "Felony" is a state felony or a federal felony. To them a felony is a felony and it automatically takes away you gun rights.

Now if it is a state felony then you have to jump thru the hoops the state holds out for you to jump thru, then you ask the state court system to grant you your gun rights back and any other rights you have lost. We have to petition the governor for a pardon or expungement of the case. My personal opinion is that when you get ready to petition the governor a little money in his/her re-election chest wouldn't hurt anything. Especially if they can't run again like the governor we presently have. :blink:

The same goes for a federal felony except you have to do what the federal gov says. When I got my felony DUI, a state charge, I lost my right to vote as long as I was under the system and supervision of the courts. That is until I completed my sentence, my probation which was 1 year of supervised and 2 years of unsupervised, paid my fines ($450) and serve what little time the court gave me which was the time I spent in jail after being charged (overnight). Luckily the court considered that enough time in jail and suspended the 1 year of prison time that I was given. What made my charge a felony was the fact that I received 1 year in prison, suspended didn't matter, since it was a 1 year or more sentence the courts considered it a felony. I'm still confused over that because even before the sentence was given I was charged with a felony. :bonk: I guess that would be one of those Catch 22 things, where your damned if you do and your damned if you don't. :blink:

If I remember correctly if I had been charged 30 days later they couldn't have charged me with a felony due to the time between the last DUI I got and this one. A fact my lawyer brought up numerous times to the Assistant DA trying the case and had convinced him to drop it to a misdemeanor, but for some reason when court date came she wasn't there and her boss was. Since the Assistant DA didn't have an agreement with him he had the court charge me with the felony and the judge gave me and my new lawyer 15 minutes to fill out the paperwork for me agreeing to the charges. I was lucky the judge didn't give me the jail time since he was pissed since my lawyer wasn't in court when my case came up and I had no idea the lawyer sitting next to me was going to be my lawyer. Talk about a kangaroo court I had one.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

BT, you're right, the FED doesn't care from whom the FELONY was handed down.
What matters for Bronx is that it was a FEDERAL conviction. Where it happened isn't relevant to the restoration of his gun rights because it was the FED and not state who prosecuted and sentenced.
It's pretty well explained in the link...

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Tbeck wrote:Bronx, here's a link with a contact at the end of the page.

I hope this helps
Thanks brother. Sent him a message to see what he says.

Blacktop.. That blows brother. Sorry to hear.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
Tbeck wrote:Bronx, here's a link with a contact at the end of the page.

I hope this helps
Thanks brother. Sent him a message to see what he says.

Blacktop.. That blows brother. Sorry to hear.
It's history and not a lot I can do about it, especially since I'll never be able to jump thru their hoops and get my right to own guns back. I'll just wait for that day when chit hits the fan and everyone will be armed to the teeth to keep the overpowering government at arms length. hehe I made a funny with that arms length thingy. :lolfall: Your the one that needs the luck as I have learned to live with my situation. [emoji106]
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Bronx, let me know when he gets back with you.
You could always send a letter to Trump? Hey it couldn't hurt!
If it doesn't work out all you've lost is postage.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Will do; think Trump reads mail from people? Lol.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Trump is more apt to read his mail than Obummer.....Obummer would not give two cents what the average man needed or wanted!

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by lonerider »

Tbeck and others have already made similar comments, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in:

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The words "shall not be infringed" couldn't be any clearer and are unambiguous. An infringement is a limitation of ANY KIND to include carry permits, age restrictions, gun free zones, capacity restrictions, etc. and as such are UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

I hear that jonnycando. Lol.