Right To Bear Arms - Can an ex-felon get it back??

Keep it civil
BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Right To Bear Arms - Can an ex-felon get it back??

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

I read that in Texas; state law says you can own a firearm in your home for protection if 10yrs has passed since you got off without any issues. Feds just follow the states rule and allow it.
Aside from that though.. How can one (if even possible) actually get their rights restored fully and own?
I've always been a kept to self person really and personal stuff kept to select individuals if any.. But here's the thing..
I was about 18 and got in trouble. Got sent to federal camp and did 18 months. Now i'm 40 and want to own arms. Was raised with them since young.. Mom had her license and lost it and all her rifles when i got into trouble because i brought back to NY a single shot 12ga from NC (was visiting and planned to stay with sister) and got bad advice from someone to alter it and then cousins bf rat'ed me out. Anyways; long ago and being a shelted child i suppose didn't give me much of a heads up that their are many bad people or people in general that you shouldn't listen to or have around you. I felt really bad about what i put my family thru. But again.. This is now and looking to fix if possible. Would love to show my own family now how to shoot etc. Anyone have knowledge or tips?

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Re: Right To Bear Arms - Can an ex-felon get it back??

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

I'm pretty sure it varies by state, Bronx. I know in NC you can have your right to own restored through the court system for certain felony convictions. Considering where you live though ... Good luck with that.
lovineveryminuteofit

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

What is sad is that we ever allowed the people the Constitution was made to protect us from to take away ANY right.

The government that can take away any right can take away ALL rights.

Some might say well a felon shouldn't own a gun. If he is that dangerous, he shouldn't be allowed in society among other people. He served his time and his debt is paid.

A felon is not allowed to vote but half the people running for offices are felons who just havent been caught. Now tell me why a felon shouldn't be allowed to vote. Makes no sense to me.

To me we lost freedom the very first time we allowed the government to put restrictions on our rights.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:I'm pretty sure it varies by state, Bronx. I know in NC you can have your right to own restored through the court system for certain felony convictions. Considering where you live though ... Good luck with that.
Yeah, we are not in NY anymore.. Where it would be impossible. Lol. We are now in PA.. Country living and hunting seasons etc. All kinds of animals roam thru our yard... Not the same type of animals in NY. Lol.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

franktiregod wrote:What is sad is that we ever allowed the people the Constitution was made to protect us from to take away ANY right.

The government that can take away any right can take away ALL rights.

Some might say well a felon shouldn't own a gun. If he is that dangerous, he shouldn't be allowed in society among other people. He served his time and his debt is paid.

A felon is not allowed to vote but half the people running for offices are felons who just havent been caught. Now tell me why a felon shouldn't be allowed to vote. Makes no sense to me.

To me we lost freedom the very first time we allowed the government to put restrictions on our rights.
I hear that brother. Hoping for the best.. But hard to get back alone what people as a whole have given up. So sad.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Bronx, go to your courthouse and they'll tell you how to go about petitioning to get your gun rights back.
It's done all the time.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Glad to hear you finally got outta there, brother. [space] [emoji106]
lovineveryminuteofit

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Oops, just read your post again. I missed the part where you said federal.
Federal firearm revocation cannot be restored in PA UNLESS all of your other rights have been restored (right to vote, jury duty, public office, etc). I am not sure if you can apply to have the conviction expunged, but worth looking into. Otherwise the federal firearms act of 68 is going to work against you.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

A CALL TO THE NRA MIGHT BE IN ORDER TO FIND OUT HOW ...
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:Glad to hear you finally got outta there, brother. [space] [emoji106]
Thank you brother and yes indeed.. Had to be done. Heaven will be turning 5 in October and starting pre-k very soon. No way was i going to subject her to the nonsense in NY.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Tbeck wrote:Oops, just read your post again. I missed the part where you said federal.
Federal firearm revocation cannot be restored in PA UNLESS all of your other rights have been restored (right to vote, jury duty, public office, etc). I am not sure if you can apply to have the conviction expunged, but worth looking into. Otherwise the federal firearms act of 68 is going to work against you.
Ah.. Well i shall try. There's got to be a way. Thanks for the intel brother.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

HARRIS wrote:A CALL TO THE NRA MIGHT BE IN ORDER TO FIND OUT HOW ...
I had thought about this and sent a message via their web-site. If i don't hear back within a few days; i'll find the number and call. If anyone's got a better idea or plan for this kinda situation.. Might be them i figured. Thanks brother.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I know in Okla. you can petition the state for your gun rights to be given back, but there is a list of things you have to do first before you can even be considered and it takes 10 years. 10 years??? Hell I'll be so old I won't be able to see past the end of the rifle barrel by then. :bang: [space] :lolfall:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I know in Okla. you can petition the state for your gun rights to be given back, but there is a list of things you have to do first before you can even be considered and it takes 10 years. 10 years??? Hell I'll be so old I won't be able to see past the end of the rifle barrel by then. :bang: [space] :lolfall:
A list of things you have to do and those things take 10 yrs to complete? Or 10 yrs being trouble free?

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Bronx, I have a family member in exactly the same situation as you describe. He has a felony conviction that still haunts him from his youth - he got nailed for purchasing a stolen fire arm when he was 16 years old. But he, (rather she) legally owns and keeps several fire arms in the home. Him having a felony record does not preclude his spouse, who happens to reside with him, from owning firearms. The law would expect her to keep her fire arms out of his possession and control. She satisfies this requirement by storing the fire arms in a gun safe, the combination to which only she knows. [space] :notsayin:
lovineveryminuteofit

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote:I know in Okla. you can petition the state for your gun rights to be given back, but there is a list of things you have to do first before you can even be considered and it takes 10 years. 10 years??? Hell I'll be so old I won't be able to see past the end of the rifle barrel by then. :bang: [space] :lolfall:
A list of things you have to do and those things take 10 yrs to complete? Or 10 yrs being trouble free?
You have to prove you have been squeekly clean for 10 years, an upstanding citizen in the community for those 10 years, have the same address for 10 years and many other things before even asking the state for your rights back. Hell I can't even do the address thing much less the other things it ask you to do. :bang:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

I would start with a trip to the local courthouse and go from there.
Yep you can contact the NRA but I am 99.99% sure they will have to refer you to the courthouse for the specific details and requirements. Besides some explaining is best done in person for follow up questions that arise.
IF I was in your situation I would see the sheriff's office at the courthouse because they are the entity in PA that deal with firearm permit's and background checks. Hope this helps

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:Bronx, I have a family member in exactly the same situation as you describe. He has a felony conviction that still haunts him from his youth - he got nailed for purchasing a stolen fire arm when he was 16 years old. But he, (rather she) legally owns and keeps several fire arms in the home. Him having a felony record does not preclude his spouse, who happens to reside with him, from owning firearms. The law would expect her to keep her fire arms out of his possession and control. She satisfies this requirement by storing the fire arms in a gun safe, the combination to which only she knows. [space] :notsayin:
Thanks brother. I know i've read this other places. Was just hoping i could fix my situation and will try til it's exhausted and proven impossible.. Which would be a shame.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

BlacktopTravelr wrote: You have to prove you have been squeekly clean for 10 years, an upstanding citizen in the community for those 10 years, have the same address for 10 years and many other things before even asking the state for your rights back. Hell I can't even do the address thing much less the other things it ask you to do. :bang:
That sucks. Smh. Sad thinking how things are so far gone.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Tbeck wrote:I would start with a trip to the local courthouse and go from there.
Yep you can contact the NRA but I am 99.99% sure they will have to refer you to the courthouse for the specific details and requirements. Besides some explaining is best done in person for follow up questions that arise.
IF I was in your situation I would see the sheriff's office at the courthouse because they are the entity in PA that deal with firearm permit's and background checks. Hope this helps
Thanks brother. Will try and see what happens. Much appreciated.