One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Keep it civil
User avatar
Herb
Bought a 1000cc Bike!
Posts: 3853
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:28 pm
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Herb » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:50 pm

Steady winds are no problem at all.

My brother and I met in Winnamuca and rode over to Salt Lake, up through the Grand Tetons, to Yellowstone then over to Portland, Or, down to my brother's home in Medford. Split up there and I rode back home to Ridgecrest, CA.

Between Wendover Nv and Salt Lake city the wind was blowing out of the south, steady, around 40 mph. Since the 84 is a pretty straight freeway we were able to run at high speed, laid over at about 15 degrees but it was easy riding.

When we were going down the Clombia River Gorge, it was a whole different story. The wind was blowing between 30 and 40 mph, up the gorge. trouble was that in sheltered areas, it was calm, but come around a point and the wind would hit, hard. Miserable damn ride. The state police had closed the Bridge of the Gods, because of the wind up the river.

We stopped for gas and lunch by the bridge and they told us the winds across the bridge were over 50 mph and as you can see from the pic the bridge has very narrow lanes.

Image
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

lonerider
Joined a 250cc Club
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:28 am
My Bike: vs1400
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby lonerider » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:33 pm

Tbeck wrote:Wind is wind and controlling your bike is a skill. If you aren't comfy doing so, park it. ... yah we hit some wind in the Badlands one time, towards the end of a long hot day so we found a hotel.

Yeah, you were wise in parking it in that hotel when the wind got a little "challenging." Good move.

User avatar
Designer
WHEELIES R FUN!
Posts: 4473
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Designer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:55 am

BlacktopTravelr wrote:Yooper, I have to wait till next summer to make that kind of decision, but if left up to me hell yea I wanna ride it. Thanks for asking to ride alone with me.

When you do, may I suggest you take in another "attraction" when you are up there. It is called the Tunnel Of Trees on the north side of Little Traverse Bay.

I found it was worth the time.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... higan.html
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice. Facts are not partisan. The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is orders of magnitude more than to produce it. And The left keeps us busy because of all that they produce.

Tbeck
Joined a 950cc Club
Posts: 2260
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:58 am
My Bike: Concours 1400
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Tbeck » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:19 am

Lonerider, yah it had already been a long hot day. We had left our cabin rental north of Yellowstone at about 6am, gone to Rushmore where temp's we're topping out at 100. When we left Rushmore we were riding into the path of a storm and winds were really tossing the bike and trailer, probably more than usual because we had been on the road a while.
Hotel, dinner, and the storm passed. So we unloaded the trailer and went for an evening putt around the Badlands.
Now riding into the tornados path? No place to hide on that one. Just found a pull off with a nice big ditch, and held the bike while it went past. If it had gotten too close I would have laid the bike down and took to the ditch.

User avatar
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
Posts: 13976
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:25 am
My Bike: 12 Harley Ultra Limited FLHTK
Location: GODS COUNTRY
Status: Online

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Suzuki Johnny » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:26 am

T has a valid point when he says that 40 mph winds either on a raised bridge ( and grated) or land based highway.....the effects are mostly the same on either venue........We have our fair share of high bridges here in the deep south and numerous waterways and if you want to go somewhere sooner or later you're going to have to traverse one of them...Word of caution , with the winds at 40 mph or higher be aware .....On a windy day it can be treacherous on a bridge of great length...not so much on shorter spans......The bridge spanning Lake Pontratrain near New Orleans is a good example,,it's not so high, maybe 20 or 30 foot off the water but watch out when the winds pick up when you're on two wheels....not for the faint hearted :blink: :blink: [emoji2]
We have other much higher bridges... I-210 bridge is 216 feet high and is curved on one end so as you change directions on a windy day you better be on your P's and Q's or it's gonna get real exciting if you don't.....bikes blown into the other lanes happens a lot ...seen it more than a dozen times and these were 900 lb behemoths with experienced riders....and that includes myself.....
you have to pick your lane of travel and stay away from the center line...otherwise if it does happen you're in a world of shit...
Longer than usual grated bridges are another hazard you'll encounter in the deep south ..usually our grated areas are situated in the center span of the bridges but may go as long as 1/3 of the length of the bridge...
feather the handle bars when going accross those grated spans and you're going to be all right....avoid the death grip by all means :bonk:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper fast, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
"Je peux normalement dire comment un homme intelligent est par comment stupide il me croit."
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

User avatar
Designer
WHEELIES R FUN!
Posts: 4473
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Designer » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:25 pm

I have experienced pretty much all you say about the hazards of Winds on Bridges, Suzuki Johnny. I have ridden the Lake Pontchartrain Bridge and as you point out, there is a difference between short Bridges and Longer ones. And because of the fact that the winds are not broken up when crossing them, as winds often are often are on land, your mention of Caution makes good sense.

So, it is only wise to think they are different than riding the same distance over a road that's land based and any apprehension is not out of line overtone when speaking of such a difference.
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice. Facts are not partisan. The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is orders of magnitude more than to produce it. And The left keeps us busy because of all that they produce.

Tbeck
Joined a 950cc Club
Posts: 2260
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:58 am
My Bike: Concours 1400
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Tbeck » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:57 pm

SJ, yep you gotta know your abilities. I believe that is true about riding in general. There's a smallish grated bridge along the alcan, folks falling down, walking bikes across, etc... Heck even big ole warning signs before the bridge and in the travel brochures. Ed and I crossed it twice, wet both times, wasn't anything.
There's a high metal grated bridge between Mobile AL and MS, don't recall if it's on 10, 98, or 90? ( Going way back in years)) Anyhow that one had my 81 wing doing a crazy dance from inside lane to outer. Back in the days when I could still do tunnels, Lol.

Designer, you can feel as apprehensive as you feel is appropriate, but there's no difference. Two wheels on the surface and the bikes control in your hands. Wind blows, that's what it does, no reason to respond to it differently just because you are riding on a bridge.

User avatar
JFL Live
Joined a 650cc Club
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:18 am
Status: Online

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby JFL Live » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:28 pm


View first unread post One of these days I'm going over this bridge



You meant go "across" that bridge, right? [emoji2]
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)


You may ask, who was wearing the bolo tie, you or the shark? Answer: Yes.

User avatar
Designer
WHEELIES R FUN!
Posts: 4473
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Designer » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:42 pm

JFL Live wrote:
View first unread post One of these days I'm going over this bridge



You meant go "across" that bridge, right? [emoji2]

:lol: good catch there, JFL! [emoji106]
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice. Facts are not partisan. The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is orders of magnitude more than to produce it. And The left keeps us busy because of all that they produce.

User avatar
Herb
Bought a 1000cc Bike!
Posts: 3853
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:28 pm
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Herb » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:53 pm

The reason for the extra caution is that if things go wrong, on a bridge, the results can be a whole lot worse than on land.

As for the wind on a bridge being steady, if the wind is coming from the left, and you met a large vehicle, the wind cuts off and then hits you again. on a narrow bridge there isn't much room for error. On land you have a really good chance of surviving, on a bridge there is much less of a chance.

Having a healthy respect for the possible problems is a wise thing.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

User avatar
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
Posts: 7423
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:02 pm
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15
Location: Eufaula, Okla
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby BlacktopTravelr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:30 pm

Herb, I have a healthy attitude about any wind even light wind since I pull a trailer and any crosswind will set that trailer to wiggling, especially if not loaded right. :bang:

JFL, yes I could have titled this thread correctly, but what fun is there in that? :lolfall:
Image
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment [space] :XmasTree:

HARRIS
Joined a 650cc Club
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:59 am
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby HARRIS » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:08 am

HAVING CLEAN UNDERWEAR WHILE RIDING IS A MIRACLE ....
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

User avatar
Designer
WHEELIES R FUN!
Posts: 4473
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Designer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:05 am

Herb wrote:When we were going down the Colombia River Gorge, it was a whole different story. The wind was blowing between 30 and 40 mph, up the gorge. trouble was that in sheltered areas, it was calm, but come around a point and the wind would hit, hard. Miserable damn ride. The state police had closed the Bridge of the Gods, because of the wind up the river. We stopped for gas and lunch by the bridge and they told us the winds across the bridge were over 50 mph and as you can see from the pic the bridge has very narrow lanes.
They didn't close the Roads leading up to the Bridge,...just the Bridge itself. That pretty much tells you that the pavement across the bridge IS different than the same length of pavement on land.

Suzuki Johnny wrote:Word of caution , with the winds at 40 mph or higher be aware .....On a windy day it can be treacherous on a bridge of great length...not so much on shorter spans......The bridge spanning Lake Pontratrain near New Orleans is a good example,,it's not so high, maybe 20 or 30 foot off the water but watch out when the winds pick up when you're on two wheels....not for the faint hearted :blink: :blink: [emoji2]
We have other much higher bridges... I-210 bridge is 216 feet high and is curved on one end so as you change directions on a windy day you better be on your P's and Q's or it's gonna get real exciting if you don't.....bikes blown into the other lanes happens a lot ...seen it more than a dozen times and these were 900 lb behemoths with experienced riders....and that includes myself.....
you have to pick your lane of travel and stay away from the center line...otherwise if it does happen you're in a world of shit...
Longer than usual grated bridges are another hazard you'll encounter in the deep south ..usually our grated areas are situated in the center span of the bridges but may go as long as 1/3 of the length of the bridge...
Being so much more vulnerable on Bridges, these are good words of Caution. [space] The trees and buildings on land help break up the Straight-line forces of the Strong winds on land,...not there to help on Bridges.

old time rider wrote:Grated is about half holes. Wind goes through holes [emoji2] :putput:
You certainly don't get that situation with Roads on land,...only possible over Bridges.

Herb wrote:The reason for the extra caution is that if things go wrong, on a bridge, the results can be a whole lot worse than on land. As for the wind on a bridge being steady, if the wind is coming from the left, and you met a large vehicle, the wind cuts off and then hits you again. on a narrow bridge there isn't much room for error. On land you have a really good chance of surviving, on a bridge there is much less of a chance.
I hadn't thought of that! [space] Most Bridges don't have any Shoulder to pull off onto if you have a Flat or a Breakdown. Thus,....showing that Bridges ARE different than the same length of pavement on land.

Herb wrote:Having a healthy respect for the possible problems is a wise thing.

Yup,...you can call it apprehension or increased awareness, whatever,....it is only Smart.

With all the experiences and words of caution above....it is only wise to think Bridges are different than riding the same distance over a road that's land based. [space] So,....don't be intimidated by anyone who casts doubt on such wise thinking when they say they always pause when someone talks about long Bridges with apprehension as an overtone. You are wise to think riding across a bridge as being different than riding the same distance over a road that's land based,..because it is.
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice. Facts are not partisan. The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is orders of magnitude more than to produce it. And The left keeps us busy because of all that they produce.

Tbeck
Joined a 950cc Club
Posts: 2260
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:58 am
My Bike: Concours 1400
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Tbeck » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Designer should sell his bike if he can't keep it in a lane of traffic the same width as the road was. And to even highlight Herb's statement of going off a road isn't as bad as going off a bridge? Love to see those stats.
Now what I'd like to see is a straw poll of how many rider's have gotten a really good toss because a 18 wheeler tossed them a curve? My guess is every rider on this forum, and we all survived.
If you're afeared for your life crossing a bridge, don't cross a bridge. But all the fear mongering, you'll explode in flame's, fly off, fall over, etc... Is all hype! Don't argue just post the name of the person's you know that blew off a bridge???? That's what I thought....

lonerider
Joined a 250cc Club
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:28 am
My Bike: vs1400
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby lonerider » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Bridges do require more caution under certain conditions. Has anyone seen the sign stating "Bridge Ices Before Road."

Yooper
Studying MC Handbook
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:34 pm
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Yooper » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:56 pm

lonerider wrote:Bridges do require more caution under certain conditions. Has anyone seen the sign stating "Bridge Ices Before Road."


Like I've stated, I've crossed the the bridge in question way over a hundred times. And thats on a bike. Lots more if you count trucks and cars. Hell there are a lot of folks I know that cross it every day, for work between St. Ignace and Mackinaw city.Going downstate and back counts for twice, no? The only time I've ever seen the Mac bridge for icing is when the cables freeze then thaw, ice can drop on you from the cables. I've never seen an icy roadway on the bridge, the bridge authority takes care of that way before it happens.

User avatar
Designer
WHEELIES R FUN!
Posts: 4473
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Designer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:24 pm

lonerider wrote:Bridges do require more caution under certain conditions. Has anyone seen the sign stating "Bridge Ices Before Road."

Quite correct.

I have experienced this on local Bridges myself. When the Ground has more warmpth than the air under the Bridge, the moisture on the Road Surface of the Bridge will freeze sooner. That's why the DOT posts those signs. They wouldn't do so if it wasn't factual reality! ;)

And the fact that the Michigan Department Of Transportation has a website on which you can find about General Road Conditions/closings, etc. But, for Conditions on the Mac Bridge,...they have a Separate Website. That they do this tells you that,... yes,....The same road surface on land is different than the same road surface on a bridge.
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice. Facts are not partisan. The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is orders of magnitude more than to produce it. And The left keeps us busy because of all that they produce.

Tbeck
Joined a 950cc Club
Posts: 2260
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:58 am
My Bike: Concours 1400
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Tbeck » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:39 pm

And you'll ignore what Yooper posted because? No need to answer cause we already know.

Yooper
Studying MC Handbook
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:34 pm
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby Yooper » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:07 pm

Tbeck wrote:And you'll ignore what Yooper posted because? No need to answer cause we already know.


I'm done with this conversation. Anyone can do what they want on a bridge, I only commented on one I'm very familiar with. Just trying to give a heads up on one particular bridge. Nothing else, I'll bow to the expert from Chicago.

lonerider
Joined a 250cc Club
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:28 am
My Bike: vs1400
Status: Offline

Re: One of these days I'm going over this bridge

Postby lonerider » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:32 pm

Wow, ice dropping on you from the cables, that's a new one on me. Yooper, thanks for the heads up!


Return to “Chit Chat Channel”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JFL Live, MadCow, Suzuki Johnny and 1 guest