Glasses

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Glasses

Post by Tbeck »

Hate them!
I have had 20/20 my entire life and as many know I am losing my vision. That means glasses, bifocals with the prescription for correcting my rapidly deteriorating vision.
The problem is that I have always hated anything on my face to include sun/riding glasses. Needless to say like sunglasses I am constantly taking them off, hate wearing them when driving and frequently dropping them out of my pocket.
Took the dog to play with his friends at the dog park and as it turns out, on the seat of the truck. Searched all over but didn't find them until the dog moved coming home and I heard them crunch. 120 pound dog versus half rim glasses equals bent frame on my 3 week new glasses, Lol.
Managed to straighten them out but doesn't change the fact I hate glasses, wearing them, and not seeing the way I used to.

Damumz
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2017 Road Glide Ultra

Re: Glasses

Post by Damumz »

Must be hell getting old...... :blink:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Still not required to wear them on DL but need readers for close stuff. Feel may have too have them next time renewed.My sinuses affect my seeing and hearing big time as how they are day to day. At 71 guess thats better than most? Wish rest of me had stayed as good :bonk: .Ride every day still good so may stay above dirt a while longer? :putput:

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

I bring my helmet with me every time I need new frames and a new scrip for distance glasses. Started using readers when I was 42, distance lenses when I was in my middle 50's.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Glasses suck. Always have, always will. I really love them in fog or when it's misting and I'm having to continuously wipe them clear so I can see. Or when my hot breath behind my face shield causes both my glasses and helmet shield to fog up on a cool day.

Lasik is the way to go, but I'm too cheap to pay the price for the surgery. Some vision clinics advertise Lasik surgery at ridiculously low prices ($300-$500), but those are very misleading advertisements. Those teases are for one eye only and for the least amount of correction they'll even consider for surgery. After they get you in the seat and give you a proper examination they give you the real story - which can easily run $2000 per eye based upon my experience. Throw in cataracts and other problems and ... well, you get the picture.

I haven't been evaluated for Lasik surgery in a while. Has anybody had it done recently and if so, what did it cost you?
lovineveryminuteofit

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I've worn them since I was 5 years old....nothing I can do about that, and now I am up to trifocals. The question comes down to....can you see without them? Everything? Well, I can't see crap without them. Just colors and fuzzy blobs. So I wear them. Oh and I can't do Lasik because they won't do it if you have neurological issues, and I do have optic neuritis in my left eye!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I used to be nearsighted and had astigmatism. Had to wear glasses to see anything at any distance. The Navy did LASIK surgery on me but it actually made things worse. Where before I basically only had to have glasses to drive and for seeing distance (like at the rifle range) now I have to wear them all the time, and bifocals at that. Without the glasses, I can see to drive ok, but the dash instruments, including the speedo, are a blur.

I used to be able to read the small print on a pill bottle and the wire numbers on 22 gauge aircraft wiring and now I have to have a magnifying glass to read a pill bottle.

Lasik was the worst thing I ever did.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Herb wrote: Lasik was the worst thing I ever did.
That's surprising to hear. I have friends and acquaintances who've had it done who'll say their vision improvement was nothing short of miraculous and it was the best money they ever spent. Maybe it's like back surgery where you can flip a coin as to whether your condition improves or gets worse. [space] :confused:
lovineveryminuteofit

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:
Herb wrote: Lasik was the worst thing I ever did.
That's surprising to hear. I have friends and acquaintances who've had it done who'll say their vision improvement was nothing short of miraculous and it was the best money they ever spent. Maybe it's like back surgery where you can flip a coin as to whether your condition improves or gets worse. [space] :confused:
I don't know why mine came out so bad unless it was the correcting of astigmatism. One of the reasons I had the surgery was that I knew a number of people that had done it and had massive improvement. So, my case really isn't the norm, but just be aware if you are considering it.

One thing good. You know those dot pictures that when you stare at them for awhile another picture/symbol shows up? Astigmatism prevented me from ever seeing the second picture, now I can see them. Big fucking deal, I can't see the damn speedo on the bike without my glasses but I can see a stupid fake picture.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Yah, my vision must be going ... these are my new glasses. Image

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Note to self:
Next time I ride with Tabasco, make sure he is in front of me. [emoji2] :cheers: :putput:

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

Herb, I had 3 lasiks done on my right eye and 2 on my left before my vision improved to 20-20. I had It done about 15 years ago for $4300 and all the follow-up lasiks were included in the price. Sounds to me like you need some follow-up surgeries.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Herb wrote:I used to be nearsighted and had astigmatism. Had to wear glasses to see anything at any distance. The Navy did LASIK surgery on me but it actually made things worse. Where before I basically only had to have glasses to drive and for seeing distance (like at the rifle range) now I have to wear them all the time, and bifocals at that. Without the glasses, I can see to drive ok, but the dash instruments, including the speedo, are a blur.

I used to be able to read the small print on a pill bottle and the wire numbers on 22 gauge aircraft wiring and now I have to have a magnifying glass to read a pill bottle.

Lasik was the worst thing I ever did.
The lasik in all likelihood did what it should....but it won't help the problem of getting old and needing reading glasses. That's a problem with focus and our loss of the ability to close focus. I have the trifocals as I say, for like reading the paper...and another setting for seeing the displays on my locomotives I work with, and on my desktop computer.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

navigator wrote:Note to self:
Next time I ride with Tabasco, make sure he is in front of me. [emoji2] :cheers: :putput:
:lolfall:
Arthritis sucks!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Anyone wear disposable contacts? I play volleyball once a week and wear them for that. They are pretty good nowadays (and pretty cheap).

A pack of 30 costs about $15 - and because I only wear them once a week it's about $50 a year.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

YOU ARE NOT LOOSING YOUR VISION, IT'S JUST NEEDS A LITTLE ENHANCEMENT, AND A VERY EASY ONE AT THAT !
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

navigator wrote:Note to self:
:lmao: Heh heh, actually, as I got older my far vision improved. It is near perfect; no glasses needed for far ... but need reading glasses.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I heard and read where you can improve your vision by drinking some kind of green smoothie drink. But the articles I read don't give the recipe for the drink. So I have no idea what to put in the smoothie. :bang:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Any cures that come from drinking a smoothie are made of snake oil.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

jonnycando wrote:Any cures that come from drinking a smoothie are made of snake oil.
ok, if you say so. :HatTip: [space] :XmasTree:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: