Smoke!

Keep it civil
jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Smoke!

Post by jonnycando »

Nearly burnt my kitchen down this morning. Significant other got up to go to the loo and found smoke and a stinky smell. Got me up and come to find the refrigerator was slowly burning itself up. Sheesh....like it couldn't wait til after Christmas?!

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Re: Smoke!

Post by Forge »

That sucks! I'm glad you guys are okay and thankfully she was in the right place at the right time to see it before it might have gotten worse. I'd rather wake up to a burning appliance than to a burning house!

I know what you are going through because we had that happen to a 2.5 year old Samsung induction range. My wife was in the kitchen making dinner and saw flames shoot out from behind it. I yelled for my son to kill the breaker while I pulled it out and used the extinguisher. I'm glad she was there to see when it started. It could have been bad.

I happened to start researching the Samsung model number of my range and found reports of those ranges catching fire. I contacted Samsung and complained. There was some running around, but eventually they had me fill out a claim form and send it the ID label from the range and they sent me a check for the prorated value of the 2.5 year old range.

It may be worth looking into for you. Make sure to mention how shook up your wife was and that your house could have burned down.
Arthritis sucks!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Gonna hit up Lowe's Friday I guess. Luckily we have a chest freezer that was not full...but it is now. And we have a dorm fridge for storing beer...now it has milk and cheese and such. And a couple coolers on the porch with ice packs and rest of the food in them. WIth the weather they should be alright. The beer will be fine under the porch! It's an ancient fridge...it was ready to go actually. Just figured it would up and quit and not put on a show!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Glad all is OK.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Its the thermal cut out on the compressor that burns out. Bloody poor way of doing it but they have been like that for years. As the consumer wants cheaper and cheaper they will get what they ask for.

Thats what took out Grenfield the tower block in London last June.

If the fridge loses gas and starts to cycle incorrectly the thermal cut out cant handle repeated operation, well not without getting too hot

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

That bothers me that things can do that. One night I was asleep and lying on my back and something woke me up...thought it was lightning outside...I had my eyes open for a few seconds, but saw nothing, and started to fall asleep again. Then POP! a loud sound and more bright light I could see even though my eyes were closed.

Opened my eyes and POW! another shower of white hot embers shooting out of the ceiling fan motor, right above the bed. They dropped all over the bed and carpet like a sparkler. I jumped up and shut the switch off. I guess it ate a brush or something. could have caused a fire if nobody there to see it :uhh:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

jeffcoslacker wrote:That bothers me that things can do that. One night I was asleep and lying on my back and something woke me up...thought it was lightning outside...I had my eyes open for a few seconds, but saw nothing, and started to fall asleep again. Then POP! a loud sound and more bright light I could see even though my eyes were closed.

Opened my eyes and POW! another shower of white hot embers shooting out of the ceiling fan motor, right above the bed. They dropped all over the bed and carpet like a sparkler. I jumped up and shut the switch off. I guess it ate a brush or something. could have caused a fire if nobody there to see it :uhh:
I had a ceiling fan blow too, but all at once. It made a loud popping noise and there was a bright flash. Then the switch broke in another fan, so I replaced both at the same time. Those fans came from Lowe' and were made in China like all the other electronics Lowe's sells. There's some real sh*tty electronic stuff coming out of China these days. I replaced 4 exterior light fixtures on my house with motion lights in 2012. Three of the four have already stopped working. Pure junk.
lovineveryminuteofit

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

You don't have Earth leakage trips. Sounds like you donr even have Earth.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.u ... AkQAvD_BwE

Don't you have laws. You must have RCD's by law in UK.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

We call them ELCB's (Electrical Load Circuit Breaker) and they are required by law to be installed in the fuse box for power circuits over here (not mandatory for lights). I had to get one installed when we bought our place about 15 years ago.

I had a ceiling fan burn out a few years back - didn't spark or do anything too dramatic but it stunk out the room like you wouldn't believe.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

YOU GOT AN EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT.... A STORY WITH A HAPPY ENDING !

LOT'S OF MILEAGE IN THAT STORY
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

RCD ballance power in against power out, The slightest change and it cuts out faster than you can get a shock.

I have little enthusiasm over what Americans do or don't do to be honest they are so full of shit, Third rate shit hole of a country'. with a baffoon as leader. Im sick of wasting brain space accommodating their arrogant superiority.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Fred wrote:RCD ballance power in against power out, The slightest change and it cuts out faster than you can get a shock.

I have little enthusiasm over what Americans do or don't do to be honest they are so full of shit, Third rate shit hole of a country'. with a baffoon as leader. Im sick of wasting brain space accommodating their arrogant superiority.
APPARENTLY NOT. :blink:

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

jonnycando wrote: ... It's an ancient fridge...it was ready to go actually. Just figured it would up and quit and not put on a show!
[emoji2] I kept an old fridge going long past its prime. When it finally died, I was more than a little surprised at the drastically reduced power bill. Shit, the new unit paid for itself in less than a year, if I remember correctly... :bonk:

SuzyRidr2 wrote: ... a loud noise and there was a bright flash.
... something something "Walk into the light." :lolfall:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Cuban wrote:
jonnycando wrote: ... It's an ancient fridge...it was ready to go actually. Just figured it would up and quit and not put on a show!
[emoji2] I kept an old fridge going long past its prime. When it finally died, I was more than a little surprised at the drastically reduced power bill. Shit, the new unit paid for itself in less than a year, if I remember correctly... :bonk:

SuzyRidr2 wrote: ... a loud noise and there was a bright flash.
... something something "Walk into the light." :lolfall:
My uncle gave me a nice fridge that he said wasn't cooling well anymore. They just bought a new one, they can afford that. I hauled it home and looked under...it had the coils and pancake fan under...looked like a bearskin rug under there!

Pulled a literal mat an inch and a half thick off the coils, and it worked great for 5 more years [emoji106]

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

[quote="jeffcoslacker"
Pulled a literal mat an inch and a half thick off the coils, and it worked great for 5 more years [emoji106][/quote]

Paints a wonderful picture of culinary hygiene.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Fred wrote:[quote="jeffcoslacker"
Pulled a literal mat an inch and a half thick off the coils, and it worked great for 5 more years [emoji106]
Paints a wonderful picture of culinary hygiene.[/quote]

When you've got large dogs and tile floor, that fan is going to pull a lotta dog hair into the coils over the years. Most people don't even know that coil is down there, never occurs to them to clean it.

Even houses without pets they get loaded with crud eventually.

but only in the USA, you know. I'm sure the rest of the world has some kind of clean your coils or go to jail laws...

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

jeffcoslacker wrote: but only in the USA, you know. I'm sure the rest of the world has some kind of clean your coils or go to jail laws...
:funnylast: :funnylast:
-DBTO

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
but only in the USA, you know. I'm sure the rest of the world has some kind of clean your coils or go to jail laws...
Maybe they could pass a law saying the Clinton's could stay out of jail if they volunteered to clean everyone in the United States refrigerator coils. :lolfall:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
When you've got large dogs and tile floor, that fan is going to pull a lotta dog hair into the coils over the years. Most people don't even know that coil is down there, never occurs to them to clean it.

but only in the USA, you know. I'm sure the rest of the world has some kind of clean your coils or go to jail laws...[/quote]

Im sorry to be even more controversial but I don't share my house with animals, I have absolutely no need for one.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Fred wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:

Im sorry to be even more controversial but I don't share my house with animals, I have absolutely no need for one.[/quote]

Your choice, I have no problem or controversy with that. I had a friend from Egypt...it horrified him that we had dogs and reptiles and a guinea pig.

"In my country, we try to keep zeese things OUT of our houses..."

:lmao: