Science Project

Keep it civil
DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Science Project

Post by DevilsFan »

How can this be racist? He's an Asian kid!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/high- ... spartandhp

And they never displayed his results.
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: Science Project

Post by Tbeck »

It isn't racist, and it also has nothing to do with the student being from a minority group.
We make up "excuses" as to why groups of one type or another engage in certain activities, aren't successful, etc... No way some hs student should complete a simple IQ test that wipes out those earlier excuses.
Furthermore he violated the MOST important rule of all by not being politically correct.
The irony is they'll not take this kid's test results because they are accurate but offensive, but the same folk's will buy into the state/federal testing because they WANT to believe the results.
It's such a great nation we reside in

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

The truth hurts sometimes....but the facts do not lie....When I was in high school there was nothing near grading on a curve...
it was A B C D or F......Either you cut the mustard or were set back a grade....
Now those same F graded students are getting by with C's and D grades they do not deserve...all in the name of being politically correct.
And making test with harder to answer questions so the normal student will get a lower grade and the bottom tier of students achieve the C and D grades is pure crap... straight A student will not see any differences ..
It's not fair to the student who's grades have been in the B to D range to all of a sudden become a D student... :bonk:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

SJ, It's really not as simple as you may think. A student can only be held back ONCE unless the parents agree, even though the student failed their classes. It's beyond teacher and school control because it's state law.
Oddly enough most teacher's don't grade on a curve or lower the bar. It's the aforementioned can't hold them back pushing them ahead.
We DEFINITELY have problems with the education system. Many or most stem from two practices in my OPINION.
First we are still under NCLB. It's a terrible plan which forces schools to teach to a test instead of educating. Vague terms so let me explain. Because the NCLB tests include algebraic concept's and geometry for the THIRD grade tests, schools are forced to teach these concept's to third graders. NO 3rd grade student is ready for these concept's. They are still learning multiplication, division, and fractions. The result is that they lack a GREAT foundation in basic math concept's before getting the advanced. Same is true with English skills.
The second is inclusive classes. That means you have a room full of regular academic students that also includes students with special needs. It used to be regular Ed students were in a classroom and special Ed students attended another.
It all goes back to the PC over valid practice. Taxpayer's asked for more accountability and we got NCLB which even the guy who created it says it's a massive mistake. And because we don't want to offend little Susie's parents who's daughter is mentally retarded by placing Susie in the appropriate learning environment, the other students in the class don't get the rigor in learning they should.
Nothing new here, it started in the 80's and gotten worse as we go.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

https://www.aei.org/publication/d-c-pub ... sequences/

Kinda like the school system in DC....mostly black schools...and 1/3 of them graduated last year without even being ELIGIBLE for a diploma...but got one anyway. Right now, there's talk of an internal investigation trying to understand how this could possibly happen...when we know full well why it happened. In the most egregious case, the student missed (skipped, most likely out gang banging) 153 days (unexcused) out of 180 the students senior year...failed most classes...was able to take make up course work at the last minute (that was suspect in of itself) and still graduated on time.

We did all of those kids a huge disservice...we dumped a bunch of "more than likely" uneducated people into society as if they were educated. And we wonder why libtards today think things should just be handed to them.

Want to annoy a liberal? Simply work hard and be happy.
-DBTO

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

MC, the whole thing is a big scam. Want to fix it and it's REAL simple; life time ban of ALL social services and safety net programs for anyone failing to "Graduate" traditional high school, AND an independent audit of all students prior to graduation. We could almost eliminate welfare doing this.
Step 2 is limit welfare to 6 months maximum in any 5 year period. You've just eliminated drop outs, scamming the taxpayer's through fake graduations, and generational poverty via lifelong welfare recipients.
Step 3 limit SSI to a 2 year training requirement. Anyone can be retrained to an occupation that accommodates any disability. And sorry but stress is not a disability, it's an excuse.

Problems solved [emoji106]

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

Tbeck wrote:MC, the whole thing is a big scam. Want to fix it and it's REAL simple; life time ban of ALL social services and safety net programs for anyone failing to "Graduate" traditional high school, AND an independent audit of all students prior to graduation. We could almost eliminate welfare doing this.
Step 2 is limit welfare to 6 months maximum in any 5 year period. You've just eliminated drop outs, scamming the taxpayer's through fake graduations, and generational poverty via lifelong welfare recipients.
Step 3 limit SSI to a 2 year training requirement. Anyone can be retrained to an occupation that accommodates any disability. And sorry but stress is not a disability, it's an excuse.

Now now, the liberals would scream racism and violation of rights and other various horse shit theories.
-DBTO

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Ah but they couldn't. Every safety net program establishes rules for qualifying. We are simply updating for the 21st century.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

I hated public school. Could tell ya some stories. Most of the teachers had a lot of years’ life experience but apart from that were insipid and stupid. Best teachers I ever had were in the military and the building trades... they taught while doing, not just running their mouths like school teachers. All those years wasted, college prep in HS and then 21 credit semesters at The U of F. Best thing was quitting college my junior year and joining the Army. My science project was being part of a combat ready nuclear artillery battalion where I was filled with knowledge, real knowledge. If I was a young parent today I would home school my kids and keep them away from insipid government commie teachers.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

Tbeck wrote:SJ, It's really not as simple as you may think. A student can only be held back ONCE unless the parents agree, even though the student failed their classes. It's beyond teacher and school control because it's state law.
Oddly enough most teacher's don't grade on a curve or lower the bar. It's the aforementioned can't hold them back pushing them ahead.
We DEFINITELY have problems with the education system. Many or most stem from two practices in my OPINION.
First we are still under NCLB. It's a terrible plan which forces schools to teach to a test instead of educating. Vague terms so let me explain. Because the NCLB tests include algebraic concept's and geometry for the THIRD grade tests, schools are forced to teach these concept's to third graders. NO 3rd grade student is ready for these concept's. They are still learning multiplication, division, and fractions. The result is that they lack a GREAT foundation in basic math concept's before getting the advanced. Same is true with English skills.
The second is inclusive classes. That means you have a room full of regular academic students that also includes students with special needs. It used to be regular Ed students were in a classroom and special Ed students attended another.
It all goes back to the PC over valid practice. Taxpayer's asked for more accountability and we got NCLB which even the guy who created it says it's a massive mistake. And because we don't want to offend little Susie's parents who's daughter is mentally retarded by placing Susie in the appropriate learning environment, the other students in the class don't get the rigor in learning they should.
Nothing new here, it started in the 80's and gotten worse as we go.

I agree...100%!
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

Tbeck wrote:MC, the whole thing is a big scam. Want to fix it and it's REAL simple; life time ban of ALL social services and safety net programs for anyone failing to "Graduate" traditional high school, AND an independent audit of all students prior to graduation. We could almost eliminate welfare doing this.

Again...I agree 100%

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

Tbeck wrote:Ah but they couldn't. Every safety net program establishes rules for qualifying. We are simply updating for the 21st century.
Fair enough...but I still say the snowflakes will cry foul.

YA BIG MEANY

:lmao:
-DBTO

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

RoadKing wrote:I hated public school. Could tell ya some stories. Most of the teachers had a lot of years’ life experience but apart from that were insipid and stupid. Best teachers I ever had were in the military and the building trades... they taught while doing, not just running their mouths like school teachers. All those years wasted, college prep in HS and then 21 credit semesters at The U of F. Best thing was quitting college my junior year and joining the Army. My science project was being part of a combat ready nuclear artillery battalion where I was filled with knowledge, real knowledge. If I was a young parent today I would home school my kids and keep them away from insipid government commie teachers.

Not every teacher is a government commie. As an Elementary/5th grade teacher I teach my students history, math the old fashioned way and I try to make reading fun.

The problem we all have is being district mandated to teach specific things in specific ways that, from my teaching experience, tend to be way above the levels of students's capacities. Our district, and through the Common Core, has made learning Reading a chore. There's little fictional genre's and everything is informational. Then we force the students to text code as many details in an article as possible. Next, we have them write an essay in a format that even liberal college professors are wondering what the hell these kids are doing!

Math has become using models, props and a variety of methods to perform basic computations. Students have so much thrust at them it's no wonder they get confused so easily.

History is non-existent. I teach it only because I'm not afraid to break the rules.

Science is all about scientific concepts. Students aren't taught to learn by doing. Now it's a "watch what I do, now comprehend the vocabulary terms and apply them to written questions.

And truth be told, just for the class this year, I have 24 students. 14 of them have IEP's or are ESE. Out of my 24 students I have 3...yep, 3 that are currently "On Level". They score the highest on their tests and grasp concepts quickly. But they are still only "Average".
If I was to be accurate on report cards, 21 of my students would be failing. FAILING, as in below an "F" grade! And that's how I received them at the beginning of the year!!! So now I have to get them caught up and able to reach a 6th grade level. There is growth but by the time they get to me they are already so far behind.

I sit in every staff meeting, I ruffle feathers, I show my own research and data...but I've been told to shut up and just do what we tell you to enough times where I've realized that I just need to teach the way I know will help my students make the most gains they can. I deal with the ass-chewings all the time. My excuse? I was in the Army. You can yell at me all day long but I'm still going to do what's right!

***I'll also add...I have 3 students that are reading at a Kindergarten - 1st grade level. And they're in 5th Grade!!!

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

MadCow wrote:https://www.aei.org/publication/d-c-pub ... sequences/

Kinda like the school system in DC....mostly black schools...and 1/3 of them graduated last year without even being ELIGIBLE for a diploma...but got one anyway. Right now, there's talk of an internal investigation trying to understand how this could possibly happen...when we know full well why it happened. In the most egregious case, the student missed (skipped, most likely out gang banging) 153 days (unexcused) out of 180 the students senior year...failed most classes...was able to take make up course work at the last minute (that was suspect in of itself) and still graduated on time.

We did all of those kids a huge disservice...we dumped a bunch of "more than likely" uneducated people into society as if they were educated. And we wonder why libtards today think things should just be handed to them.

Want to annoy a liberal? Simply work hard and be happy.
You got that right. I've read alot about this and the stories about it just keep getting more outrageous all the time.

The extant systemic problems are so ingrained and so involved that any talk of 1-2-3 step fix-it's are rather simplistic pipe dreams that would be viewed as draconian measures and would certainly invoke the "Race Card" dodge if put up for vote. That alone,.. and there's more,..means they don't have a snowballs-chance-in-hell of happening.

These deep problems took a quite some time to manifest, and it makes sense that any successful "fixes" would take a while to implement.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

DF, i have no doubt you are a good teacher, a good man. Your love for dogs tells me all I need to know. Same goes for Tbeck even if he is a commie. :OhNo;
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

AS A GOVERNMENT PROJECT, DUMB DOWN THE EDUCATION SO WE HAVE A BASICALLY AN UNEDUCATED POPULATION, ALL THE WHILE, IT LOOKS LIKE THEY'RE BEING EDUCATED. AND THEY KNOW SO LITTLE. MOST TEACHERS ARE NO BETTER
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

HARRIS wrote:AS A GOVERNMENT PROJECT, DUMB DOWN THE EDUCATION SO WE HAVE A BASICALLY AN UNEDUCATED POPULATION, ALL THE WHILE, IT LOOKS LIKE THEY'RE BEING EDUCATED. AND THEY KNOW SO LITTLE. MOST TEACHERS ARE NO BETTER
My sons 6th grade science teacher told his class that if you took all the air off the planet, we would float away because that is how gravity works. I wouldn't have believed a science teacher would say that had I not been in the room when she said it. I was there to assist with some activities that day.

:blink:

The sad part of it all was my son telling me I was wrong when I corrected him later on it..."..but dad, the teacher is always right..." It was a struggle REtraining his understanding of gravity. I've always wondered what other kind of crap she stuck in his head. I did have a conversation with the Principal about it though...and I have no idea if it had any impact or not..but she wasn't teaching there the next year. She might have moved to a new school for all I know...
-DBTO

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

MC, that's another thing that bugs the crap out of me. There's no such thing as a 6th grade science teacher. It's an elementary teacher that is teaching science lesson's to elementary students and she obviously knew less than nothing with regards to science, lol.
Designer, nothing happens overnight, that's for sure, BUT read what I posted AGAIN. Consider the immediate and the long term results.
Now do any of my suggestions for fixing the mess have a prayer of being implemented? As MC pointed out, not a snowball's chance in hell. They need to be, but won't happen. ALL of the BIG issues we are confronted with in the USA could be fixed in short order IF we weren't appeasing the bum's.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

If we're to be honest with ourselves, we wouldn't expect races to posses equal intellectual attributes any more than we'd expect them to have equal physical attributes and we all know the latter is not true. [space] :bonk:
lovineveryminuteofit

Travlin
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: Ummmmmmmm a 1400

Post by Travlin »

I just hope I a dead by the time the keys to the castle are turned over to these dumbasses.