School again

Keep it civil
SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Re: School again

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Tbeck wrote:SR, no it's not harming the 1st. limit reporting to just the fact that a school shooting occurred. We don't need all the media drama.
Limit reporting? It would be fine if the media "limited" themselves, in other words practiced good journalism. But once you say the media should be "muted". That's censorship. [space] :jester:
lovineveryminuteofit

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Land of the free, eh?
IMHO, there is your problem. A person or persons that can not or will not see an answer to a problem. This answer to school shooting would not have to be a permanent solution. After a decade or so the school would revert back to what it is now.

In this so called Land of the free you have people living in gated communities and with armed guards at the gates so what is the difference between that and a close school system with armed guards? When a government and/or society decides the nuts have the right to live on the streets rather than to house them in institutions where they will get the proper care you end up with something that looks a lot like what we have in America today. Yea, yea, yea I know I got way off track with this reply. :bang:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Armed guard's=school resource officer. Many if not most schools have them these days, some schools even have metal detectors. The problem is that a resource officer can't be in every hallway, and any person wanting to go ahead with a shooting can easily access a side door and get the task done. A school is still going to be an easy target until the politician's recognize that school personnel are the first and only line of defense. MORE of the USUAL tougher gun law's aren't going to get it done and these ongoing shootings prove that.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

SR, I suppose you could call it that, but you'd also need to evaluate it against SCOTUS rulings. Speech likely to incite has already been deemed to fall outside the protections of the 1st. Is the irresponsible reporting in the aforementioned category? I would assert that is the agenda the media adheres to with regards to this topic.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Tbeck wrote:SR, I suppose you could call it that, but you'd also need to evaluate it against SCOTUS rulings. Speech likely to incite has already been deemed to fall outside the protections of the 1st. Is the irresponsible reporting in the aforementioned category? I would assert that is the agenda the media adheres to with regards to this topic.
I understand that, but the press is named explicitly in the 1st Amendment and it's freedom is considered to be a neccessary government check, so I think any legislation aimed at overseeing content would not be looked at in the same light as laws that prohibit someone from using speech that's likely to incite a lawless action. But who knows? Maybe it would. The only thing less predictable than a jury decision is a Supreme Court decision.
lovineveryminuteofit

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

The Foundation of our nation is We The People. Our survival as a Federacy depends upon morality. The press is protected from government intrusion by The First Bill of Rights. If they abuse that freedom it does not mean that we people need believe nor even listen. If morality is lost in the process, our nation is doomed. Never mind muting the press. When the press mutes the truth and makes of itself a powerful branch of government, The Second Bill of Rights takes on a whole new meaning. To wit...

The only outcome of an immoral takeover in DC with the aid of the press will be civil war and dissolution of our wonderful Constitution. Might will make right and the Red Counties have all the guns. Already. Too late now to scream gun control. Bill of Rights 2 rules. The immoral dissemination of lies by the press and the acceptance of those lies by many people will have no good ending.

When Mr. Trump and Melania took that famous escalator ride to announce his candidacy in 2015, along with millions of others I began to see this as our country’s last best chance. I still believe it. I believe it because I love the people who voted Red. I believe it because since Election Day the press has revealed themselves for the ugly abusive people they are. My weapon against them? I mute the evil bastards with my tv remote. One way or the other they lose.

And, oh yeah! Hey, yo, Tbeck, pack a gun at school and protect your students.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

As my students would say RK, what makes you think I don't :donno:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Tbeck wrote:As my students would say RK, what makes you think I don't :donno:
I don’t think one way or the other. Ain’t heard you mention it.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

hillsy wrote:
Suzuki Johnny wrote:To stop this from happening again schools will have to resemble prisons and operated under the same rules..... except for incarceration of course....

10 foot high electrified fencing surrounding the school with only several entrances with metal detectors and armed to the teeth trained guards at every entrance...... At each entrance there would be two sets of gates...... They may get past the first one but will never make it past the second....

And if anyone who attempts such a dumb ass move.......... public executions in the town square should follow within 24 hours of the misdeed..
Just enough time for a crowd to gather.....

This may sound harsh but harsh treatment of the perpetrator needs to be dealt with as soon as possible and no media allowed to report on anything
This thing of glorifying the killer or killers has gone to damn far.......
Oh you say they are mentally deranged.....well tough shit :fubird:

Why doesn't this happen in schools in Israel????.........Mandatory military enrollment for all youths both male and female....Their country is under attack...just like ours except the perpetrators are different
Land of the free, eh?

Even Freedom comes with a cost.......liberals aren't able to see the forest for the trees...
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

We need to put them to death and soon after with as much press as the shooting got. In Kentucky now one just going to trial that slipped in to a house and took a knife to a seven year old boy! Of course he is nuts is the plea. Why should that matter? Texas was doing a better job of fast line but still way to slow.Bet over 50% of ones on D.R. never get to it and we pay for 20 years of waiting!Sell tickets to the worse of them and TV time and hanging would be better.. The kids being killed sure get press time. Why not the killers getting what they want,more TV time?.... :putput:

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

old time rider wrote:We need to put them to death and soon after with as much press as the shooting got. In Kentucky now one just going to trial that slipped in to a house and took a knife to a seven year old boy! Of course he is nuts is the plea. Why should that matter? Texas was doing a better job of fast line but still way to slow.Bet over 50% of ones on D.R. never get to it and we pay for 20 years of waiting!Sell tickets to the worse of them and TV time and hanging would be better.. The kids being killed sure get press time. Why not the killers getting what they want,more TV time?.... :putput:

Took a knife to a 7 year old? WTF?
-DBTO

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

"Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz was investigated by social services and mental health professionals in 2016 after his disturbing Snapchat videos were uncovered — but the teen avoided hospitalization and was deemed not to be a threat to himself or others.

The apparent bad evaluation is just the latest in a series of missed warning signs, including at least two reports to the FBI referencing Cruz wanting to be a "school shooter," his expulsion from school, 36 calls to local police during a six-year span, complaints about killing or hurting animals and numerous concerns expressed by students and teachers at the high school he would later turn into a slaughtering ground."

The hits just keep coming... :bang: :bang: :bang:
-DBTO

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Y'all leave the FBI alone. They' have their plates full helping Hillary Clinton and company fabricate stories and leak information so they can prompt special counsel investigations and obtain FISA warrants to go after political enemies.

:rag:
lovineveryminuteofit

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
hillsy wrote:
Suzuki Johnny wrote:To stop this from happening again schools will have to resemble prisons and operated under the same rules..... except for incarceration of course....

10 foot high electrified fencing surrounding the school with only several entrances with metal detectors and armed to the teeth trained guards at every entrance...... At each entrance there would be two sets of gates...... They may get past the first one but will never make it past the second....

And if anyone who attempts such a dumb ass move.......... public executions in the town square should follow within 24 hours of the misdeed..
Just enough time for a crowd to gather.....

This may sound harsh but harsh treatment of the perpetrator needs to be dealt with as soon as possible and no media allowed to report on anything
This thing of glorifying the killer or killers has gone to damn far.......
Oh you say they are mentally deranged.....well tough shit :fubird:

Why doesn't this happen in schools in Israel????.........Mandatory military enrollment for all youths both male and female....Their country is under attack...just like ours except the perpetrators are different
Land of the free, eh?

Even Freedom comes with a cost.......liberals aren't able to see the forest for the trees...
Careful - you might get your post deleted if you politicise this thread....

Seriously though, the guns = freedom argument is rapidly losing ground.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

98VS1400 wrote: Laws need changing. In Florida we have what’s called the Baker Act. It allows law enforcement to take a person into custody, involuntarily, for a mental evaluation if they meet 2 requirements: have a mental illness; and due to the illness, the person poses a threat to himself or others.
Interesting. How does law enforcement determine or know that a person has a mental illness? Is this something that's required to be reported by physicians?
lovineveryminuteofit

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

I read it here all the time, "damn liberals" but it isn't just liberals is it?
The greatest deterrent to gun violence is not more regulations, more suspension of rights, more FEAR which is what is so often written. No the solution is much simpler. Adhere to the second. When your life is under immediate threat, you can't wait for a cop, resource officer, etc you need to act.
The second doesn't have the word "except" in it. That means the ex-cons, fruit loops, and everyone has the ABSOLUTE right to bear arms.
If we didn't focus so much on who shouldn't, maybe we wouldn't need to focus on who does.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

98VS1400 wrote:
People can make red flag arguments about anyone else. Heck just by reading this forum for an hour or so, I could make compelling arguments for most of the members here to not have guns!
Wouldn’t surprise me a bit, speaking just for myself. In December last I went to Herb Philipsons and ordered a Ruger .22 take down rifle. A neat little rifle. It came in, but the background check they did on the computer returned a ‘temporary hold’.

OK, here’s the deal. Over fifty years ago I was trained by The Army to kill and was issued an M1 rifle, then an M14 rifle and a .50 cal machine gun, qualified with .45 side arm and M60 machine gun. I was part of a combat ready nuclear armed 175mm gun battalion which required big time clearances. I have an Honorable Discharge.

And here’s the deal... it took two weeks before I could take that nifty Ruger .22 rifle home. It was OK to be heavily armed in defense of The Constitution and my country, but then the stinking state of NY puts me through that humiliation?

Yes, I totally believe that even someone who has met me could conjure up any sort of ill will towards me if they had the wherewithall and desire to do so. The DNC and FBI contrived against Trump, so why should a nobody hard working Vet like me be exempt?

And, meanwhile, a young punk in Florida walks into a store in Florida and walks out with an AR15 and inspite of two warnings to the freaking FBI goes on to massacre children. Yeah, I’m pissed. LE can do anything it wants and not be held accountable. I just wanted a fun .22, and I never in my life threatened children nor had cops called to my house 36 times like that Florida punk kid.
Signifying nothing”

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Guess you need to move to Florida RK. Anyone can get a gun there. You couldn't pay me to live in the communist state of NY.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Tbeck wrote:Guess you need to move to Florida RK. Anyone can get a gun there. You couldn't pay me to live in the communist state of NY.
Where I live is Small Town USA, Tbeck. Wonderful people. I live in what is to me a colonial mansion that I couldn’t afford any other place. I have family here. I’m surrounded by beautiful forests and corn seven months a year. Albany is the problem, Albany and the huge freak commie population of NY City voters, Manhattan Island liberalism ruins it for the rest of this big beautiful state.

And I ain’t moving to freaking Florida just because ‘anyone can get a gun there’. I can get a gun any where, but in my effort to be an exemplary citizen I’d rather own a gun legally. Don’t put words in my mouth and make me sound like a gun nut. On a board where you and others frequently talk about your hand guns you seldom ever hear me expose to the WWW my possessions because I think it is egomaniacal and stupid to do so.
Signifying nothing”

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

98VS1400 wrote:We need to pump the brakes here and think about different ways to address this besides making gun control laws more restrictive. Pretty soon only nuns who were born in a convent will be able to possess one.
Thanks for the response. I wasn't aware of any such information being collected or available.

The thought of Washington bureaucrats determining who's mentally fit to purchase and own a firearm is a scary thought, but I'm afraid it may come to that some day. I've heard talking heads on television say several times that we need legislation that will strengthen NICS and ensure "every gun purchase" is filtered through it. Based upon that statement and similar ones, I believe gun haters will use this latest shooting as an opportunity to mount an assault on private gun sales - something they've wanted to control or ban for a long time.

Some Republicans are embracing the idea of having a debate on "sensible gun legislation" too. This is an election year and gun control will now be an issue. Merry Christmas gun haters. Lots of anti-gun rallies are in the planning stages as we speak. Nothing drives politicians to act faster than public opinion and about 70% of people being polled are calling this a mental health issue, not a gun issue. Never mind that NICS will never be capable of weeding out the crazies, requiring everyone to go through a more strenuous background check will sound like sensible legislation to a lot of people. The only thing that needs to be worked out is who pays for the NICS background check with a private sale, tax payers or the buyer?

This may not be a good year for gun owners and the 2nd Amendment.
lovineveryminuteofit