Gimme some old bike feedback quick?

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Re: Gimme some old bike feedback quick?

Post by jeffcoslacker »

old time rider wrote:Jeff you had the last year of the 350 Honda twin. I had the first year a 1978 CL as in scrambler.1974 I think is when 360 replaced them and had so much cam chain trouble. Honda replaced lots of them under warranty first year. The one I liked the best in looks back then was the 66/67 250/305 scrambler. Still like the looks of them.. :putput:

The tank was that weird Army Green with black and white stripe, like above. When I took it to work one day the couple that owned the parts store were getting out of their truck and John looked at Clara and they had a moment...

Then he started telling the story...they had just gotten married, and he was young and wanted a Triumph 650 like everyone did at the time, but couldn't afford it, so he and his buddy got the Honda dealer to make them a really good deal on two CB350's, his was like mine and the same color. I think he said his buddy's was blue.

Clara HATED the bike. She was mad at him for getting it (he didn't really run it by her ahead of time)...she was always trying to get him to sell it.

So, he says one day he comes home late after work and he and the friend had been out riding and had a couple of beers, and Clara is outside in the driveway, probably looking for him, wondering why he's late.

He decides to ride into the driveway a little hot and rear-brake skid up to the garage, like a kid with a coaster brake. Give her a little thrill. Except he hit the oil spot where the car leaked, lowsided, the bike crashed through the garage door and ruined it, and he broke his ankle.

And that, as they say, was that. :lmao: Bike went up for sale next morning. Never had another one. :sad:

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
old time rider wrote:Jeff you had the last year of the 350 Honda twin. I had the first year a 1978 CL as in scrambler.1974 I think is when 360 replaced them and had so much cam chain trouble. Honda replaced lots of them under warranty first year. The one I liked the best in looks back then was the 66/67 250/305 scrambler. Still like the looks of them.. :putput:

The tank was that weird Army Green with black and white stripe, like above. When I took it to work one day the couple that owned the parts store were getting out of their truck and John looked at Clara and they had a moment...

Then he started telling the story...they had just gotten married, and he was young and wanted a Triumph 650 like everyone did at the time, but couldn't afford it, so he and his buddy got the Honda dealer to make them a really good deal on two CB350's, his was like mine and the same color. I think he said his buddy's was blue.

Clara HATED the bike. She was mad at him for getting it (he didn't really run it by her ahead of time)...she was always trying to get him to sell it.

So, he says one day he comes home late after work and he and the friend had been out riding and had a couple of beers, and Clara is outside in the driveway, probably looking for him, wondering why he's late.

He decides to ride into the driveway a little hot and rear-brake skid up to the garage, like a kid with a coaster brake. Give her a little thrill. Except he hit the oil spot where the car leaked, lowsided, the bike crashed through the garage door and ruined it, and he broke his ankle.

And that, as they say, was that. :lmao: Bike went up for sale next morning. Never had another one. :sad:
Had one of those moments with a 2002 CBR600, the wife had a friend from home visiting and we all took a trip somewhere, they went in her car, I took the cycle and got there ahead of them. I found a semi-deserted stretch of road close to our destination to work on my wheelies since the bike was new to me. I had an easy time with my 94 zx6 but the Hondo had a very different powerband, suspension layout, and it was fuel injected not carbed. I was having trouble getting more than an inch or two of the ground, unless I was taking off fast as I could. Slow ones were a bother.

Before I quite had it down pat the wife and her friend catch up rounding the corner down the road. I know they see me and look puzzled about what I'm doing, so in my infinite wisdom I decide to give them a little show, rev it ease the clutch quick like...

Evidently it was a traction problems I'd been having as it hooked and immediately went vertical. Fortunately my reflexes were quick enough (that time) and I shut the throttle bringing it back down. Hard. Dead stop. I just waited sheepishly while she drove past slow yelling out the window what kind of idiot did I think I was! while her friend is about wetting her pants laughing her @ss off at me. :oops: :lmao:
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Another old fart mess up.Sure you all saw it right off.Called my first year 1968 CL 350 a 78 :bonk: Told before had the same Super 90 three times by taking it in trade on big bikes. Tough little bike and so was the XL100 I bought my kid and often rode myself. Honda made such good one cly bikes back then IMO....... :putput:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

The XV1100 is very small indeed frame wise...but is very reliable bike. Yamahas in general are top notch.