THOUGHTS

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: THOUGHTS

Post by Tbeck »

Herb, nope you need to do a LOT more research.
There was also plans to bomb the Panama canal, and several other strategic locations. Remember that almost everything was manufactured on the east coast, not west, and had to go through the canal to get to California. There were aircraft plants that Japan should have bombed but didn't. BUT the Japanese did have several submarines on the western coast for most of the war that sank at least 10 ships and shelled ft Stevens.
Reality is that without USA oil, Japan was limited, but once it had control over China and India it would have been a different matter. This is why analyst's make such a big deal of midway.
If this is something of interest to you, I can point you towards some good reading that isn't just a quick skim.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: THOUGHTS

Post by Herb »

Tbeck wrote:Herb, nope you need to do a LOT more research.
There was also plans to bomb the Panama canal, and several other strategic locations. Remember that almost everything was manufactured on the east coast, not west, and had to go through the canal to get to California. There were aircraft plants that Japan should have bombed but didn't. BUT the Japanese did have several submarines on the western coast for most of the war that sank at least 10 ships and shelled ft Stevens.
Reality is that without USA oil, Japan was limited, but once it had control over China and India it would have been a different matter. This is why analyst's make such a big deal of midway.
If this is something of interest to you, I can point you towards some good reading that isn't just a quick skim.
Since I am from the west coast, the fourth generation, I know what preparations were made for opposing a japanese invasion. Many of my ancestors were involved in the planning and possible opposition forces. Everything from plans to destroy roads/bridges to ambush points. CA, OR and WA had citizen militias organized that were armed with their own weapons and assigned specific areas/targets. Relatives in CA were set to destroy oil fields/refineries to prevent their capture. Others in all 3 states were set to destroy places that would prevent the invasion forces from moving inland.

If the japanese had invaded, they would have found themselves in major trouble, mostly because of the militias.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.