Cold/wet

Places you've been to. Things you've seen.
Share your riding and gathering Vids here.
old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Cold/wet

Post by old time rider »

Rode a little over 1,500 this week most on a three and a half day three night trip to Destin.FL. with friend.We roll out at 22 temps Tuesday at 7:30AM and does not get into mid 20s till in Tenn.We camp in John Tanner park in Ga.and 25 when we wake.In AL on 331 it starts raining and still is till after dark in Destin,FL..We make Columbia,Tenn.and 17!! when we roll out Friday AM.Only make one stop on way home for gas and a cup of coffee.Home at allmost 2PM and going south to warm up was a joke :bonk: .

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Re: Cold/wet

Post by MattSunn »

Dang! You sir, are a rider! I won't do those kinda days anymore unless I get caught out in it.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I used to make rides like that but these ole bones won't allow me to any more... On cold mornings like that my knees won't act right and am unable to get the bike off the kickstand much less hold it upright for any length of time..LOL That's one of the reasons why I don't camp out on the road anymore....
Give me a warm bed in a motel anywhere but outside in the elements...
But more power to those that still can [emoji106] Used to enjoy those trips.....spent a few nights in Colorado back years ago , just pulling off into the woods or bare country side...Never had any problems with rattle snakes but night critters like the raccoon's were a pest...Couldn't keep any food stuffs out in the open.....
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

MattSunn wrote:Dang! You sir, are a rider! I won't do those kinda days anymore unless I get caught out in it.
.....and even then, it's only because you have no choice but to deal with it. Yeah, I know too!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

My friend does not camp as much as me and we only camped the first night.25 was coldest he had ever camped and was cold.When I threw every thing out of the army duffle bag saw my mesh tent,cover,sleep bag,but not the poles!So took all my tie down strapes etc and strung it up off the metal pole with hook next to picnick table.Looked like hell and put cover over best I could and rain suit and plastic bag my sleep bag was in over other bare places best I could.My friend asked"Can you sleep in that?!! as I got in to my mummy bag he said"make a face and snapped a pic of me.Got the sleep bag over my head and a space about egg size for fresh air.Was nice and warm and he had a rough night.After the ride across most of 331 in AL in the rain and did not stop after in Destin,FL..When we stop to eat he calls a camp ground and motel 6.The motel was only $6 more each so he did not have to twist my arm as we unload the bikes and dry stuff out at the motel.Rain gone next day and did not even plug in as we leave.Roads still wet but dry as we ride up the coast a ways.On 31A in Tenn.He pulls over at a very small old grave yard with big stone and all the names of ones killed and buried at it.Nathan B.Forest was the leader and his great uncle was killed at the site.He wanted to camp next to graves but could not find land owner.We then get a motel 8 and pull out of Columbia,Tenn in the 17 temps and keep elc on all the way home.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

That's hardcore all the way.

:bow: :bow:
-DBTO

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

25* is a bitch with just a poncho and sleeping bag for warmth... :Umm:
the trick is the wind...once you get out of the direct wind it ain't really that bad.. but trying to sleep is another thing
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

Good enough sleeping bag and its just another day. Another fine example of how the right gear makes anything possible.
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

For winter I have a 0 rated mummy bag and a soft thin blanket in side it.Put it bag over my head as its made to do and only a egg size hole open for air.Really I was wam as toast. :cheers:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Cold but no wet today.Thought the snow called for had bypassed us this AM.27 when rolling out to meet out old coot bunch.My bike and the DL1000 of friend on last weeks FL. ride only two in lot.rest in trucks.After the first one was gone he called back and told us it was snow and sticking to main roads.My friend had never rode in snow and tried to calm him by telling him to act like he did not have brakes and stay in high gear as much as he could.By the time I was on 127 roads all light white but the wind was the bad thing :tongue: .As I headed out of second town and about four miles from home lots more snow, around a half inch over everything now.Got behind a 4x4 farm truck pulling three empty farm wagons.Really that was good as they wobbled around made a nice clean track in the snow for me [emoji106] .23 and 12chill factor when home.Now five hours later wind has cleared roads for most part and no more snow.One of the days would not have went if had known deals.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

We had snow flurries here today...
-DBTO

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I'd much rather deal with the rain on trips.... snow is an entirely different animal..hence we try to plan our trips during the warmer summer months when the chance of a cold front are nil and void for the most part...But if you do venture too far north there is always that possibility :tongue: :tongue:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Aint' riding in no snow ... Aint' riding in no sub-thirty degree temps. Sorry. :lmao:

I don't own any heated gear ... What would I use that sh*t for? If it's too cold for riding without heated gear, it's too cold for riding. :bonk:

I've ridden over patches of left over slush when riding in the mountains in winter months and I've ridden in temps that started out in the low 30s - knowing it'll warm up later - but that's about as bold as I get on purpose. [emoji106]
lovineveryminuteofit

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Looks like we may be a ride and camp in rain this weekend at the Burkesville meet.Temps are forcast to be in 70s in the day so if not a wash out will be good.We have been going to this meet a long time. A real big covered place to meet and open wood fire with lots of tables and chairs.Its were they feed us in the three meals in the price.Makes for a good place to remeet ones not seen since last year if weather bad in the open. May go to Red Bollin Springs motor cycle shop and museum again as he wanted to see some small old harley shift rockers I priced him last year when we talked.I posted about it last year.

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

MadCow wrote:That's hardcore all the way.

:bow: :bow:
The man lives it! He brags not, just tells the facts. :bow: The only one just as hardcore is a friend who rides a T-bucket no top no fenders in any kind of weather. :shock: Of course I'm talking Florida, not Kaintuck! :lolfall:

:cheers:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Yeah, Paul's the real deal, for sure. :rock:
lovineveryminuteofit