Tail of the Dragon Trip

Places you've been to. Things you've seen.
Share your riding and gathering Vids here.
DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Tail of the Dragon Trip

Post by DevilsFan »

Got back last Tuesday night from my annual, week-long summer trip. Had a great time. I met up with Franktiregod and he showed me all around Georgia, including a lot of finds off the beaten path!
Stopped first at Fort McCallister, just south of Savannah. That place is awesome! And the story is really cool.
Then went to Frank's place and rode to Deal's Gap to ride the "Tail of the Dragon". We stayed in Robinnsville, which had such an "at-home" feeling that it made me want to live there! Rode the Dragon (which was fun...but not as great as it's hyped up to be, IMO). I enjoyed the Cherohala Pass a lot better but unfortunately that's where all of the wrecks occurred.
Then came back to GA and rode around for a few days before heading to Columbus, GA to visit the Civil War Naval Museum. FREAKIN' WOW!!! Until recently I never really acknowledged the Navy during the Civil War but since recently reading about it I was dying to see an actual ironclad someday. Well, this museum has the ACTUAL USS Jackson!!! It's breathtaking!!!
Then rode home. Absolutely NO rain the entire trip (just like last year!). Since being back in Tampa it's been nothing but raining!
2,135 miles.

Photo op by a "water tower"!!

Up by Deal's Gap.

Entrance to the Dragon.

Just before the first-run of the Dragon.

Came up on this scene. LSS...a group from Florida, the previous day one of their group wrecks, then this red bike owned by the dad takes his son (who's NEVER RIDDEN BEFORE THIS WEEKEND!!!) and passes a car through a twisty, son follows and clips dad's rear tire, dad flies over the guard rail, son get's implanted under guard rail, dad breaks collar bone, son breaks neck. (We saw 2 wrecks that day. Still think the HD wreck was a fatality but can't find any info on it.)

The dam by Deal's Gap where they filmed "The Fugitive" with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones.

Went to "The Walking Dead" store where they film the series. I just watched the 1st episode. Different, but interesting.

Here's the covered bridge used in the movie, "Lawless" (with Shia LaBueof) about moonshiners in "Alabama". Filmed in Georgia!

Here's what's left of the bridge that was jumped in "Smokey and the Bandit". Apparently a bunch of kids burned it down.

There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Re: Tail of the Dragon Trip

Post by DevilsFan »

And a couple of yours truly!

There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Nice pics [emoji106] and I sure want to meet Frank one day.Was in Ga. so many times in 015 with a frind on bikes as he was checking on a 32 Ford that was being build at Adams Speed shop near Calhoun,though for sure would meet him but never called ahead .We camped at same KOA most the time and once about the hottest ever at night.I just got every thing off and rubbed hand sanitizer all over me that cooled me off enough to go to sleep after a few shots of wiskey [emoji2] .Allso went with a SCV member on bikes to some battle sites.North Ga. is really some good riding [emoji106] .The dragon is in Tenn. but most think NC as the line is right were one of your pics near the store.I blew a low beam on the 1700 RoadStar before we got to the store and went in.They had it $47.00!!! No way for this boy.Blew low bean and just got in middle of the others.When we hit first town went to a parts store and got the same thing for $7.40 and put the blub in in the parking lot.Been on it lots of time but luck and old age with me as never hung a part on the tree of shame yet.Hard to find a bad road around that part of the U.S..You can stop at some of the TVA dams and lots of nice places to walk around and get great view and roads better than the dragon IMO with out all the racing coming at you on your side :eek: .

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Thanks for sharing. Great pictures. :rock:
lovineveryminuteofit

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Kool pics.....There's many more back roads in Georgia and North carolina that , in my opinion, puts the Dragon to shame....I've rode it twice going and coming....fun ride but way to slow for my thrills on a bike....

Thanks for sharing ..
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Very nice, wonderful pics there. I like to know some of the history of places, that's always nice.
Glad you had a great trip!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

WearySoldier
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Suzuki VS1400

Post by WearySoldier »

YoDude wrote:Very nice, wonderful pics there. I like to know some of the history of places, that's always nice.
Glad you had a great trip!

Yo-
YO - +100 -- that's one of the reasons for riding -- a bit of wanderlust!! [emoji106]

You can find a lot of history in old cemeteries

Weary'
Fight on Weary Solder the battle's almost done! :rock: