Hollister Rally Pics of 2016

Places you've been to. Things you've seen.
Share your riding and gathering Vids here.
YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Hollister Rally Pics of 2016

Post by YoDude »

RK made mention of the Rally in Hollister over the 4th weekend and so rather than disrupt that thread, I decided to start a new over here instead.
RoadKing wrote:HOLLISTER! Oh, man. Oh, man. Quite a gathering this year? Oh, man. I get the motorsickle fever just thinking about Northern California. Dayum.
My response was: Ya know RK, it was good and yet a disappointment in a way. There really weren't any real attractions so to speak. Yeah there was a couple bands there that were pretty good. There wasn't any guys doing burnouts or pulling wheelies or anything like that. There's wasn't even any kind of awards given out for best builds or best custom bike or most colorful bike or anything. Cops all over the place has been typical for the last 3 years. The merchants had all the same t-shirts, jackets and such...I don't recall anyone selling hats this year even...It was like there was a vacuum job happened and all the older vendors, were just over run or something. For some reason, I wasn't as enthusiastic about it as I was last year and my photo taking was very limited this year in comparison....I will post up what I did take however this weekend on this thread. Not to mention I don't know if the cops were profiling or something, but they had an "Exit Squad" just waiting for people while they were leaving. It was like 6 cops just standing in the street, pulling people over as they were leaving, asking for papers and such. Once they were all occupied with some that were pulled over, the rest could make a clean break while the cops were all busy.

I'm sure you'd have felt the same way. It wasn't like the older days at all.

Yo-

The pics will come this weekend.. [emoji41]
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: Hollister Rally Pics of 2016

Post by old time rider »

Maybe like me the old days were lots more fun because I was not old.Drink too much and still ok a few hours after awake.Liked looking at any woman with out a top even if 70 years old [emoji2] .Burn out and wheel stands were more fun because we were the ones doing them.Now I like away from the well worn path and with other old coots.Still a few drinks around a camp fire and talk about how fast and bad we were 40-50 years ago.Now even more tall tales but same old jokes we have forgot and seem new :cheers: .

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

As promised, what I have from the Rally this year.

I don't know what the guy that owns this bike was thinking about the rear fender, but whatever ya like!

Hey John, this one's for you!

The Indian response to the Harley V-Rod. Victory has their version too. They call it the Octane.

Damn camera...Yes it's a Raiders bike!

So we get to the Harley section where they're offering free test rides. My friend Rich was debating on this one and the one below, that he's trying on for size. He didn't get the test ride but he was watering at the mouth.

Rich on a Harley.

A real pretty and very shiny bike.

Safety first!

Yo-

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Yo Dude bet you are a lot of years behine my 70? Back in 1990 three of us had rode our Harleys solo to the Sturgis rally.We stayed in the yard of two guys that a tool and die friend went to high school with and set up the free tent space.We had never met them but became friends.It was a run down rental house in SpearFish.Any one thats been knows Sturgis,Lead.DeadWood,and SpearFish may as well be one place at that time of year.They would not take any money so we made sure the fridge was full of beer and cleaned the kitchen for them.One was a blackjack dealer in DeadWood and the other manger of a food store.
We felt in luck that a big bar was only three blocks away so every night we would walk so as not to risk a DUI and walk back.Unlike Fl :moon: during bike week Sturgis is real laid back and you have to be really bad to be stopped just walking....Now to that fender in the first shot. [emoji2] Sure lots of other old farts allso know its a BearClaw that Arlen Ness made and sold lots of at that time.We met him in that bar one night.He was drinking wiskey and one of my friends told me,"I just met Arlen Ness!.I thought he was just drunk but he pulled me over to the back of a man leaning over his drink and dam if was Ness!He talled to us about five minutes and soon he had been made by others and a crow was around.After his drink he got up waved by and went with the Hampsters ,the group he has rode with for years.Such a down to earth good guy and fun to talk to.He got on the light blue panhead chopper that was allready in lots of mags.The one with the drizzle looking paint of other colors on parts of it.It had the BearClaw fender on it.Really I never liked his bikes as good as some but his was allways really good work.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Ness and his gang [emoji2] ,really the name was a joke by them at bass ass gangs.The orange shirts they had then and again in 95 when we saw them coming out of a motel parking lot was the shade that the guy with the white beard has in last shot.Good pics [emoji106]

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

The Bear claw, huh? Awesome story. It wasn't the fender itself that I thought strange, just that it wasn't painted to match the rest of the bike. If that's the way it's supposed to be, then it sure does make for a noticeable machine, indeed.

Yo-

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

The fender in the first pic looks so huge IMO because it has no outer fender struts.Guess I am just too old and old school in ideas of what a chopper should look like.One reason I got my 1400 .To me it looked more old school than anything suzuki ever made.It looked and handled a lot like my 1984 FXST.The 14 was a good bike with a strong motor.Like my harleys and most my japan cruisers felt fast but was not.Only real bad thing was it was the worse below 35 starting bike I ever owned.Even my harley with 20/50 oil next to it in the barn would out start it every time.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Oh and OTR, I'm not that far behind you, I turn 62 next month.

Yo-

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Eight years but maybe more behind in motorcycle years?Main means of transportation for me since 1973,no breaks, and just fun before that on them.Wish I was 62 again.The last one with the 0 just seem so much more than a year.70!!Hope I am still a long rider at 74 like two of my friends that rode to Alaska again this year. :cheers:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

I've ridden since around '76. Was a pretty solid rider up to about '86, then a break until about '90 and rode for a couple years then, probably until '92 or 93. Then, nothing for quite a while until '12 (about 20 years) when I finally got back from WA. That's when I bought the Intruder and after 3 years of it, I opted for the Vic in '15.

There's a lot about motorcycles I don't know about. I didn't eve know who Arlen Ness was until I started looking at new bikes. Then, I found, he was a legend.

You see, back in those old days, I didn't consider myself a real, "Biker". I was just a young adult that rode a motorcycle.
When I got a bit older, someone once told me, I was as much of a "real" biker, as anyone ever was. Ok, I'm a real biker. [emoji106]

Yo-

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

YoDude wrote:I've ridden since around '76. Was a pretty solid rider up to about '86, then a break until about '90 and rode for a couple years then, probably until '92 or 93. Then, nothing for quite a while until '12 (about 20 years) when I finally got back from WA. That's when I bought the Intruder and after 3 years of it, I opted for the Vic in '15.

There's a lot about motorcycles I don't know about. I didn't eve know who Arlen Ness was until I started looking at new bikes. Then, I found, he was a legend.

You see, back in those old days, I didn't consider myself a real, "Biker". I was just a young adult that rode a motorcycle.
When I got a bit older, someone once told me, I was as much of a "real" biker, as anyone ever was. Ok, I'm a real biker. [emoji106]

Yo-
Just to put some perspective on your age, you are a little over 1/4 as old as this great country of ours [emoji106]

:Umm: so that makes OTR closing on 1/3, sorta [emoji2]

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I never did like green colored bikes but that Harley trike sure caught my attention....that is one kool looking bike [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"