10 Most Wildest Roads in the World ???

Places you've been to. Things you've seen.
Share your riding and gathering Vids here.

How many have rode ( on two wheels) the Tail of the Dragon

1. I have..several times
25%
2. I haven't YET..
33%
3. This ride is not on my bucket list
25%
4. DILLIGAF
17%

Total votes: 12

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

10 Most Wildest Roads in the World ???

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Listed below according to this review is the 10 most wildest roads in the world.
Tail of the Dragon is listed as one...and I'm sure several members here have done the tail.
Three of the roads listed I'd sure like to tackle some day, the one in Italy, France and Romania ...... but alas it's only a dream thought.
Time constraints and "moola" keep me from attaining that precious goal :big grin:

if I remember right there was a member on the purple board from Norway, I wonder if he's ever rode the one there.

Anywho.....Just for the heck of it.. I'm included a poll to see how many have been on the dragon.. Knock your selves out... :thumbup:

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-world- ... .html?hp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: 10 Most Wildest Roads in the World ???

Post by old time rider »

Last three times on the Dragon it was wet.Bikers that think they are bad coming the other way are the bad part.Like lots of other roads just as good or better.Back roads with in ten miles of me that are lots harder to do just not as long and amount of cruves.Take 68 out of Lexington,Ky. to Harrodsburg and scrape the pegs in some of the 15mph cruves around the nice to see crounty.Stop at restored ShakerTown after out of them for a great place to eat and talk about it :cheers: .

Larry TN
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 1996 VS1400

Post by Larry TN »

Rode the Dragon last year, along with the Foothills Parkway that runs from near Maryville, TN, along a relatively tame but picturesque series of elevated "hills" down toward Deals Gap. I can't recall the Stelvio Pass when I drove from Naples to Paris in a Ford Punto, which, in a review of a different yet similar vehicle, a British writer stated; "doesn't have enough power to pull a rapist off your sister". I read that 25 years ago, and it won't go away. I was impressed by the Amalfi Drive between Naples and Vietri in southern Italy, but I have my doubts that I drove Stelvio, as it would be hard to forget.
There are many shorter, tamer versions of the Dragon in almost any direction when you leave or enter the Cumberland Plateau. The exception is I-40. It was on that stretch between Montery and Cookville, where I rode my first 1400 up to over 100 mph to see if a shaft drive vibrated excessively, it did not. I will not need to repeat that test.
"Give the people you have offended time to apologize." -Rev Samuel Porter Jones (in 1906)

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Larry TN wrote:Rode the Dragon last year, along with the Foothills Parkway that runs from near Maryville, TN, along a relatively tame but picturesque series of elevated "hills" down toward Deals Gap. I can't recall the Stelvio Pass when I drove from Naples to Paris in a Ford Punto, which, in a review of a different yet similar vehicle, a British writer stated; "doesn't have enough power to pull a rapist off your sister". I read that 25 years ago, and it won't go away. I was impressed by the Amalfi Drive between Naples and Vietri in southern Italy, but I have my doubts that I drove Stelvio, as it would be hard to forget.
There are many shorter, tamer versions of the Dragon in almost any direction when you leave or enter the Cumberland Plateau. The exception is I-40. It was on that stretch between Montery and Cookville, where I rode my first 1400 up to over 100 mph to see if a shaft drive vibrated excessively, it did not. I will not need to repeat that test.

Who had told you that a 1400 with shaft drive would vibrate excessively at 100 mph? I had my 2002 1400 at that speed or there a bouts several times and never experienced anything out of the ordinary....besides the excessive engine noise emitting from underneath me.... :big grin:
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Larry TN
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Larry TN »

Suzuki Johnny wrote: Who had told you that a 1400 with shaft drive would vibrate excessively at 100 mph? I had my 2002 1400 at that speed or there a bouts several times and never experienced anything out of the ordinary....besides the excessive engine noise emitting from underneath me.... :big grin:
Nobody. It was all me, curiosity coupled with a mostly managable suicidal tendency. The 1400 didn't seem to mind, but I wasn't there for very long.... I have 4 grandkids.
"Give the people you have offended time to apologize." -Rev Samuel Porter Jones (in 1906)

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

My 1400 stayed on a true line at 100 mph.... just have to make sure you're not on a too bumpy road to try that out :thumbup: Ask me how I know

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

I know I hit a crack in the road on my friends 1000cc crotch rocket at about 130. I swear the front tire came a foot off the ground. I needed new underwear after that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

150 mph fastest for me on a motorcycle.98.48 in 1/8 and 122 in 1/4.My sport bikes felt so much better above 100mph than the others but made for that.My 1400 ran out of steam bad at 90mph but would climb a little pass 112mph if you had lots more highway.They feel fast till they hit that 90mph wall.Cruisers are fun in the cruves if the wife is not on telling me to stop when the floor boards or pegs hit blacktop in them.One friend with a RoadStar loves to grind the little nubs in the floor board bottom on on/off ramps.He can make so many sparks fly and you can replace them after they grind down. :thumbup:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

best I've ever got out of a stock 1200 Sporty was 13.1 sec and 99+ MPH;;
at the time I weighed in about 165 pounds soaking wet...LOL

You can dial up a 1200 like any other bike and get much better times but it would cost a small fortune to have it done not unless you do all of the work yourself...

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

You can make anything faster with enough money.My 750 bored to 835 with Yos HC pistons,polished head,RR cams,and 29 smoothbore carbs would beat my 1980 GS1100 on big end!The RR cams had a lot to do with that.They did more for it on big end than 1/4.Could not ride it much on high way in hot weather and you had to idle it at 3,000 or it wanted to load up.So no pokin around a back road at 2000RPM in high gear.Most anytime you pick something up ate one end you do have as much at another.But in 78 top dog felt so nice.Would like to have a dollar for every 900/1000 KZ beat with it at the strips.Lots of them not stock allso.Ran one 1000 on the street that had a mag on it and hitting a real real mean beat.He ran a filling station and a friend at work told me he said"tell him to come on over and get his little 750 ass beat." :big grin: Of course lots of people stiring it on as his"had never been beat'line you hear often from ones that never go to a real drag strip.With both at idle and clear both were far from stock he cut his off and told me we would run in about ten minutes.Offered me a drink.Really a nice guy and stopped to see him a few times after the run.What I did see I liked was it had a Formula rear tire.Any body that ran on a strip would never have one of those.Good miles and so hard they were up in smoke just lookin at them.We went to a long no traffic place he said he ran at.We just nailed them and in my rear saw he was all smoke.When we got back the guy told his fan club.'well i never got beat till today!that son of a bitchin little bike is bad ass'!Glory days :big grin: I never wanted to run anything smaller than me.You win and no big deal.If not you now own a dog :lmao:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

You never know what's under the gas tank or the hood in my case......... :big grin:

I owned a 1964 Pontiac Tempest, 326 ci 2 barrel, 3 on the column, radio and heater (2100 bucks) it was fast for a 3 speed with 250 hp but I wanted more out of it...so later on a first cousin and I dropped a 389 ci engine with 3 deuces and 360 hp in it ...couldn't keep the rear end down and busted u joints like it was going out of style....LOL but the damn thing was fast... real fast....once you got it going in a straight line there was very few who could keep up with it...Never took the 326 emblems on the front fender off and many a unsuspecting hot rodder was taken in by it......We had a ball with that little car...

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

Ever seen a vw rabbit with nos lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Larry TN
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Larry TN »

http://www.harlancountytrails.com/littl ... dtrail.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

11. Little Shepherd Trail. After having ridden this "trail" for over 14 miles on my 1400, I would strongly recommend that you hike the trail if you are able, ride a dirt bike, use a 4WD vehicle or a good horse. Seven of us rode it on bikes last August. It is well worth the trip. As I have mentioned in the past, I would not ride it on the 1400 again for $1,000 USD cash. I would on any bike I can pick up by myself if it was down.
You have been warned.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

If ever you are in the state of Colorado there is one road ( of many) that is a must ride on two wheels...It's the San Juan Skyway...located in the San Juan mountain range one of the highest mountain ranges in the US and the views are nothing short of spectacular.
We did this route in 2007 and I'm planning on making it again if possible...You can make it in a days ride ( as we did) but it would be more fun to make it a two day ride so you can make the many pull overs along the route where picture ops are plentiful..Telluride is beautiful but you have to double back to get back on track. But it's well worth the 8 mile round trip.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Suzuki Johnny had two 326 Tempest.A 64 SDS and A 65 2DH.My brother had a 65 GTO 3X2 389,360HP.aLL A GTO was a Tempest with better hp stuff and bigger motor.Good thing about them is the bigger v-eights will bolt right in were the smaller ones were.His GTO did like way too many did and broke the mesh timing belt :tongue: and ruined the motor.He bought a 421 out of a 2+2 and bolted right in.He took a 57 chevy with a 60 over 327 and 62 BW fourspeed and 411in on trade on the 65 ragtop GTO.I bought the 57 from him,the fourth one I owned.It would beat my 69 RoadRunner and the GTO in the 1/4 but only do 105 on the topend with 411rear gears.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

You're right about the engine fit.... we didn't have to do any modifications from the 326 to the 389... it fit like a champ.. the 389 came out of a wrecked '66 Goat... I picked it up for a song and a prayer..lucky for me the owner was in a bind and didn't have any insurance to cover his loses ........ and then on top of that we took the 326 2 barrel carb engine to a local scrap yard and sold it to him and I recouped my original money.
I later changed the 3 speed transmission to a 4 on the floor Muncie tranny and that added some more boost to the Tempest...I shouda kept that jewel but things were tight back then and I had to sell it, family matters and such kept getting in the way :big grin:
.. I made money on that deal.

There were a few bikes I regret having to give up on also...three come to mind when my first wife and I started having kids..I was working with very little hospitalization insurance
back then and the extra money from the sales paid for both our kids birth bills. [emoji106]

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Skyline Boulevard, home of the Hundred-Mile-an-Hour Club. Santa Cruz Mountains, California.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

I did the tail of the dragon a couple times with my wife 2up and on my Goldwing.

pic (warning large):

http://www.mikesbawx.org/photo/albums/BIKE/Photo1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: We also did Devils Drop, unknowingly...which I think is worse than the Dragon...just a lot shorter.
-DBTO

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Nice pic, even if the passenger doesn't look too happy. Thanks for posting the link. :cheers:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:Nice pic, even if the passenger doesn't look too happy. Thanks for posting the link. :cheers:
She was happy...so I don't know why the pic turned out like it did...we had just been laughing about how we thought we missed the Dragon and suddenly realizing we were actually on it...
-DBTO