temporary fork oil leak on Marauder 800?

Post mods to non specific brands or models of bikes here.
Georgey
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2002 1994 1994[2] 1997 vs800

temporary fork oil leak on Marauder 800?

Post by Georgey »

Hello,

Has anyone experienced a temporary fork oil leak when changing the rear tire? My forks (off a 97 suzuki marauder, so they're inverted forks) leaked some while I changed the rear tire (I had it high up there for over an hour, while the front end was somewhat on the ground). When I took it off the jack the leak stopped. I recently changed the dust seals and oil seals and it wasn't leaking before. Just wondering if this is (somewhat) a normal occurrence, and if I should refill the oil, and if so, do I have to remove the forks and do the whole routine again. Thanks.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: temporary fork oil leak on Marauder 800?

Post by Herb »

I have never run the inverted forks, but it seems to me that with most of the weight of the mike oof the forks it would put the oil just sitting on top of the seals where a static leak could occur. Most seals work best under pressure because the seal is designed to fit tighter with the pressure. With no pressure and the oil just sitting there, it quite easily could seep by.

When I worked with aircraft we had a lot of static leak issues but as soon as pressure was applied the leaks went away.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Heard quite a few people rave about these things:

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0395

dwd58
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 2005 s83

Post by dwd58 »

Sometimes you can take a piece of photo film negative and run it down the fork and get out a piece of grit or something that might make the fork leak. This will work on rare occasions , but it is a simple trick that sometimes works.