My Resurrection Thread

Post mods to non specific brands or models of bikes here.
sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: My Resurrection Thread

Post by sgtcall »

Glad you figured it out.

The Moto Guzzi California is a great looking bike and a popular touring bike in Europe. Reselling one here may be a bit hard since it is harder to even find people that know what they are but those that do know them, and want them, are most likely willing to pay top dollar for a nice one. Either way they are one of those bikes you don't see every day and a great conversation starter. I've found myself getting stuck in parking lots just about every time I go out because people want to talk about the Triumph. I do enjoy when the old guys tell the story of how their first bike back in 60 something was a Triumph. You may even get a little more nostalgia with the Moto Guzzi.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Great to hear!!!

Thanks for keeping us updated it is always good to hear what has been the problem. Since that had us all grasping at straws, if, not when, this kind of thing comes up in the future, someone will remember this and pass it on to the person fighting the issue. It may even be you that puts the person on the right track.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

ncdave wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:29 am
Now I can move on to checking the electrical system. :bang:
Let's hope that system won't be so problematic. :space: Unlike more Mechanical systems such as are Carbs/Hydraulics, Electrical Systems are less affected by just sitting unused.
ncdave wrote:
......One of the carbs is still not working. Guy who I have rebuilding them says the slide is still stuck and he's tried just about every trick he knows. I'm waiting for final word, but likely will have to buy the replacement. (thanks for the posts above, by the way).
You are welcome.

Not knowing which Carb (front/rear) is the issue, I posted links to both. :space: I assume your Carb guy has used Penetrating Oil,....what about tactically applied heat?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

ncdave
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 97 1400 Intruder

Post by ncdave »

Designer wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:16 am
Not knowing which Carb (front/rear) is the issue, I posted links to both. :space: I assume your Carb guy has used Penetrating Oil,....what about tactically applied heat?
I'm not sure what things he has or has not tried. He's not divulged his "tricks" to me. He is a professional mechanic, so I'm just assuming he knows what he's doing. :dunno:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

ncdave wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:01 am
Designer wrote:
I'm not sure what things he has or has not tried. He's not divulged his "tricks" to me. He is a professional mechanic, so I'm just assuming he knows what he's doing. :dunno:
That is a quite logical conclusion there. :bow:
I guess I was just trying to offer something to be of help, since it sounds like he's gotten fixed the stuck/rusted Throttle Shaft/Plate.

I have a super nifty hand-sized Propane "Torch" that I use to heat items like this . :space: Being so small, I can "Dial In" a small, pin-point flame to selectively apply just the right amount of heat on something.

It's what I call a "Parachute Tool" . :space: Because,...like a parachute,...you don't need it often, but when you do, you need it really bad. :ShitGrin:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:13 am
ncdave wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:01 am
Designer wrote:
That is a quite logical conclusion there. :bow:
I guess I was just trying to offer something to be of help, since it sounds like he's gotten fixed the stuck/rusted Throttle Shaft/Plate.

I have a super nifty hand-sized Propane "Torch" that I use to heat items like this . :space: Being so small, I can "Dial In" a small, pin-point flame to selectively apply just the right amount of heat on something.

It's what I call a "Parachute Tool" . :space: Because,...like a parachute,...you don't need it often, but when you do, you need it really bad. :ShitGrin:
Yeah, my wife has a small butane torch that she uses in the kitchen and it works very well for working on frozen aluminum parts. I have found that heating them and then spraying with PB Blaster will usually get them loose.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:40 am

Yeah, my wife has a small butane torch that she uses in the kitchen and it works very well for working on frozen aluminum parts. I have found that heating them and then spraying with PB Blaster will usually get them loose.
:lmao:
[YoutubeID][/YoutubeID]
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

:blink: ........"CRANE brulee"?? :space: :Umm:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

I hear you Herb. :space: These Bad Boyzzz sure can come in REAL handy! :space: :rock:

Mines a bit old,...looks like this;

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:10 pm
I hear you Herb. :space: These Bad Boyzzz sure can come in REAL handy! :space: :rock:

Mines a bit old,...looks like this;

Except for the color mine is pretty close to the same. The nice thing about it is that it doesn't get hot enough to melt aluminum.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

ncdave!,....sorry!,...we kinda "highjacked" your thread a bit here. :bow:

Back to you and your successes!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

ncdave wrote:
Maybe I've found a fun job for retirement. :cheers:
Fixing bikes is fun and rewarding but it's not always easy....and it's not always for everyone.

If there's one piece of advice I could offer - it's not getting too many projects at once. Otherwise you could end up with a shed full of broken crap and lose momentum.

Get your Intruder running sweet first up - if you enjoy that journey then there are always other bike projects to be had :ShitGrinandThumb:

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

So....after a long wait and having to replace one of the carbs, this is what I found in my email today. I really haven't gotten anything done on the bike the past two weeks due to crappy weather and a cold.

"Carbs are all set and shipping out!

Everything came out great. All working nice, clean, and smooth.
New float bowl gaskets installed
All New orings throughout
New air fuel screws, washers and orings.
A/F screw are set to 2.5 turns out
New float needles and seats installed.
float levels are perfect at 8mm. Both were at 4mm.
Both new slide diaphragms are in great working condition
carbs are bench synchronized
choke assemblies have been cleaned, polished and oiled. All working great and smooth now.
No adjustments needed
."

does 2.5 turns on the pilots sound ok for a starting point?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

ncdave wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:08 am
Yes sir, 2.5 is correct.
Sounds and looks like he did a great job!
Bench sync is fine to get her running, you may need a tweak, but nothing drastic.
Your float levels being reset to correct will help alot.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

ncdave wrote:
So....after a long wait and having to replace one of the carbs, this is what I found in my email today. I really haven't gotten anything done on the bike the past two weeks due to crappy weather and a cold.
That's kinda what I have "been doing" due to weather also. :space: Where did you end up getting your replacement Carb from?
ncdave wrote:
Ye SIR! :ShitGrin: :space: That is pretty much what the Factory Suzuki Shop Manual says as to a starting point. :space: Have you ever performed a Carb Sync before?

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

Designer wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:38 am
... Have you ever performed a Carb Sync before?
Not on one of these, but did it on my VX800. did it the old fashioned way with 6 foot of tube and transmission fluid. I'm sure I can do the same with this one.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

ncdave wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:51 am
Designer wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:38 am
... Have you ever performed a Carb Sync before?
Not on one of these, but did it on my VX800. did it the old fashioned way with 6 foot of tube and transmission fluid. I'm sure I can do the same with this one.
Excellent! :space: :ShitGrinandThumb: While I do not have first-hand experience with the VX800, I'm sure you're doing that will be of benefit here.

There are some things to be aware of with performing a Carb Balance on these Bikes that will save you time and aggravation. :space: :wink:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

The VX800 uses the same engine as the VS800.
The procedure is the same for the 1400.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

navigator wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:10 am
The VX800 uses the same engine as the VS800.
The procedure is the same for the 1400.
Yep...and I loved my VX800. I wish they had produced more years of it.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

Hopefully someone has a pic or something to help me with assembly.....this pic is of the choke connection on the rear carb. The second pic is a couple of pieces I think need to be in the connection. I'm not sure howto get everything to mate up. Help?