My Resurrection Thread

Post mods to non specific brands or models of bikes here.
ncdave
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 97 1400 Intruder

Re: My Resurrection Thread

Post by ncdave »

Designer wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:37 am
Lookin' good there, Dave. :space: Can you use some regular Hose and hook up a remote Gas Tank to check how it runs?

Tell me, is that Pink Jeep I see there what you use for short hops to the Store? :space: :ShitGrin:
the fuel hoses are all crap. hard, brittle and most are cracked at the fittings. I'm just going to replace the whole lot. I am kinda anxious to get fuel to it and see if it runs. other than the carb rebuild, the fuel pump is a question mark. We'll see.

I picked up the jeep on a deal. I've started doing overlanding adventures with it. So far it lacks a bit of power and I'm working on a motor rebuild. :ShitGrin:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

ncdave wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:43 am

the fuel hoses are all crap. hard, brittle and most are cracked at the fittings. I'm just going to replace the whole lot. I am kinda anxious to get fuel to it and see if it runs. other than the carb rebuild, the fuel pump is a question mark. We'll see.
If you can set up a remote tank above the bike you can run fuel straight to the carbs and bypass the fuel pump for now. Fuel pump is probably shot by the sounds of what you are saying the hoses are like.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

New sparkly piece to make the tank feel better....

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

walk-around of the bike. I still have the fuel lines from the tank to install going to the petcock. other than that, it's ready to run. May try to rig up something to start it sooner.

side covers and a few minor bits to bolt back on, but otherwise ready for a test run. Forks still have to be gone over. they are weak, to say the least. Note the rear brake rotor. Need to find one or get that one cleaned up really well. I'd like to find a few minor parts to replace some that are pretty rusted, such as the small caps on the rear wheel covering the axle. Other than that, just hoping she's a 2 thousand dollar bike. :)

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Looks pretty good but you'd want to check it's not locked up before going too much further.

You can rock the bike back and forth and move through the gearbox to top gear. Then push the bike forward and you should be able to rotate the engine. Will help with the spark plugs out but still should move.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Great looking bike. AllBalls makes a good fork seal kit that is easy to find. You can add ATF instead of fork oil, it works just as well and is easier to find. Your rear rotor does not appear to be the OEM one so it may not be hard to replace. JP cycles and Partzilla both sell the chrome cover caps if they still have them in stock. Or just lightly sand and spray paint the ones you have black.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have an after market rear rotor. Anytime the bike get wet the rotor stars to rust like that. A little 200 grit sandpaper and it will be OK.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

Ok, so I finally got the rest of the fuel lines. Put everything back together and added fuel. She finally started after cranking a bit. Not unusual as carbs were completely dry. I ran into a major problem though. The rear carb is spewing gas out the overflow tube. Any thoughts or suggestions???

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

ncdave wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:20 am
Ok, so I finally got the rest of the fuel lines. Put everything back together and added fuel. She finally started after cranking a bit. Not unusual as carbs were completely dry. I ran into a major problem though. The rear carb is spewing gas out the overflow tube. Any thoughts or suggestions???
Hey DAVE! :space: Sorry you keep having problems

I'll wager this issue is a stuck Float/Needle Valve.

Have you tried tapping on the side of the Rear Carb so as to free things up?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:06 pm
Looks pretty good but you'd want to check it's not locked up before going too much further.

You can rock the bike back and forth and move through the gearbox to top gear. Then push the bike forward and you should be able to rotate the engine. Will help with the spark plugs out but still should move.
Had the plugs out and sprayed with liquid wrench before cranking it at first. This time with fuel. Going to try to screwdriver trick and see if that works.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

sgtcall wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:53 pm
Great looking bike. AllBalls makes a good fork seal kit that is easy to find. You can add ATF instead of fork oil, it works just as well and is easier to find. Your rear rotor does not appear to be the OEM one so it may not be hard to replace. JP cycles and Partzilla both sell the chrome cover caps if they still have them in stock. Or just lightly sand and spray paint the ones you have black.
Actually I pulled them off and used 400 grit sandpaper and then 1500 grit. They aren't great, but look better.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

ncdave wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:33 pm

Had the plugs out and sprayed with liquid wrench before cranking it at first. This time with fuel. Going to try to screwdriver trick and see if that works.
So did you turn the motor over when you had the plugs out earlier?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Say Mighty Dave! :space: Any word on fixing your Fuel problem?
Designer wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:40 am
ncdave wrote:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:44 pm
ncdave wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:33 pm

So did you turn the motor over when you had the plugs out earlier?
yes, I did. got battery and oil and turned the motor over several times without plugs.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

Designer wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 5:21 am
SAy Mighty Dave! :space: Any word on fixing your Fuel problem?
Designer wrote:
ncdave wrote:

Not yet. got busy over the weekend. I'm hoping to have a chance this evening after work.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

ncdave wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:43 am
Designer wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 5:21 am
Say Mighty Dave! :space: Any word on fixing your Fuel problem?
Designer wrote:
Not yet. got busy over the weekend. I'm hoping to have a chance this evening after work.
Okie Dokie!

Thanks for the Update.

I wish you well.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

well, the carb tapping experiment did not go as well as I wished. I'll be pulling the carb in the next few days to see if I can fix it up. :(

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

ncdave wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 6:57 am
well, the carb tapping experiment did not go as well as I wished. I'll be pulling the carb in the next few days to see if I can fix it up. :(
Oh man! :space: Bummer! :space: did you tap it from as many angles as you could? :space: I've found that the direction of the strike can make a difference.

ncdave
Learning My Moped

Post by ncdave »

Designer wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:45 am
ncdave wrote:
Oh man! :space: Bummer! :space: did you tap it from as many angles as you could? :space: I've found that the direction of the strike can make a difference.
yeah. pretty much any side I could reach it. it's pretty tight in there though....thank you very much suzuki engineers. :confused:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

ncdave wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:15 am
Designer wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:45 am
ncdave wrote:
yeah. pretty much any side I could reach it. it's pretty tight in there though....thank you very much suzuki engineers. :confused:
Didya use a screw driver with a long shank to get at the hard-to reach places? :space: :ahha: