Made my own baffles

Post mods to non specific brands or models of bikes here.
scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Made my own baffles

Post by scootermcq »

All year I have hated my exhaust (V&H longshots). I have tried a few things to get it to "sound" right to no avail.... There has always been an annoying tinny knocking or hollow sounding rattle right at the sweet spot on RPM's. It has driven me nuts. I always thought it was the exhaust but I have chased rattles before. To make sure, I have pulled the entire ass end off the bike and put it back together to make sure everything was torqued to speck. I have tried baffles in / baffles out, lollipops with the baffles, lollipops without the baffles. It has made me nuts. I wanted to try quiet baffles, but I am too cheap to spend that kind of money and still replace the exhaust if that wasn't it.

I have read that a motorcycle exhaust shouldn't be more than 1 3/4" and my exhaust is 2 1/8" so I wanted to try the BCT baffles for the reduction in diameter, but again... way too much $$$ especially adding exchange, customs and shipping.

I decided to make my own to see if it would fix the problem before throwing money at the issue....

I combined them together with a lollipop. I used the bolt for the lollipop to hold the exhaust reducers together

Here is a clip of the sound:
Scott

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Re: Made my own baffles

Post by m2h »

sounds cool :clap: :cheers: What did it do to the performance?
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

My Butt Dyno does not discern any real difference one way or the other. My fuel economy is coming in around the same as before but I think I could lean it out a little bit now and bump that up a small amount. It's a pain to pull the carbs, so I will sand down the spacers on the needle jets a little while she's parked over the winter and I am doing my other projects on her.
Scott

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Post by m2h »

Looks like quite a big restriction. As you say 2 1/8" tube is pretty big was wondering if the lollipop may be a bit big but i guess you could rotate it and experiment that way. I modified my stock 1400 mufflers to take BCT QQ baffles inside 1 7/8" tube and the lollipop looked to be about 1/2" OD . It is a little loud for my liking but still sounds good :rock:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Yeah you did good. I do similar but very easy to make.

I just get a 1 .1/4 tube and cut V's into the ends like a christmas cracker with a hack saw. Drill holes till I get tired of it I then open up the v's and flare em out and ram it up the end of the pipe.

I use a home made lollipop in the end to stop it coming out.

Sounds good feels good.