Bought another Divi

Start you OWN thread here to show off your bike or bikes you've owned over the years.
Please respect other threads by not posting pics of your bike(s) on someone elses thread.
hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Bought another Divi

Post by hillsy »

This one is a 2000 model XJ900s which has been pretty well looked after - and pretty cheap as well :smile:

I had a 97 model about 15 years ago and whilst I knew it was a great bike, I still had a bit of crotch rocket left in me at that time. Fast forward to now and its ticking all the boxes again....

Not too sure about these lights (I've yet to ride it at night) but the guy I bought it off said they are good things....

Pretty low K's for one of these....

Rides sweet.... beats the scooter hands down :lmao:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: Bought another Divi

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I had always thought this had been turned into a Harley board? :bonk:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I had always thought this had been turned into a Harley board? :bonk:
Haha - trying to turn it around.... [emoji106]

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

So one response to an actual bike topic versus a gazillion for topics of political shit? Beats me...

Anyway, if anyone gives a fuck, here is an upgrade I just finished on the front brakes.

The Internet told me the R1/6/FJR blue spot calipers are a bolt on fit to the Divi front. The 01/02 R1's had gold spot calipers (essentially the same) - which are the ones I found locally.

This is the reason why the caliper swap made sense - pitted pistons would mean about $150 plus in refurbishment v $100 for two complete R1 calipers:

So, the magic of eBay made these suckers turn up at my door within a few days:

Pads and all:

And ceramic pistons - so no more pitting:

No wear on the pad pin so probably off a low mileage bike:

Now another advantage here is the R1 caliper is about 340g lighter than the Divi ones.

R1:

Divi:

So, let's see if they bolt on....

Oh yes they do - pad area lines up beautifully as well.

So a quick bleed and here they are:

And fuck me they are magic! Heaps better stopping power .... lighter lever action.... just ACE!

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

hillsy wrote:So one response to an actual bike topic versus a gazillion for topics of political shit? Beats me...
!

Well ya gotta give me time to answer.

Nice bike. How does it handle?

I really like the color. My first thought is those lights look pretty cool mounted there. Let us know how they work.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I had always thought this had been turned into a Harley board? :bonk:

Nah, I think it's more of a run what ya brung kind of place.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

You know I click new posts ever single time I come on here and this never came up til today. Weird. Sorry I didn see it sooner or I would have responded sooner.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

franktiregod wrote:You know I click new posts ever single time I come on here and this never came up til today. Weird. Sorry I didn see it sooner or I would have responded sooner.
No dramas Frank - maybe not the best folder for this thread but I couldn't see a more suitable one at the time.

Anyway, the spotlights are gone now - they worked OK but were that very LED blue / white and I didn't like them. Will probably put them on one of the cars.... lol....

Bike handles really nice - far more comfortable over 60mph than under. Leans over for miles compared to the LC and will pull the front up on the throttle in first. A lot of bike for little money - I sold my FJ1200 for the same money I bought this for and it's easily twice the bike.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

hillsy wrote:
franktiregod wrote:You know I click new posts ever single time I come on here and this never came up til today. Weird. Sorry I didn see it sooner or I would have responded sooner.
No dramas Frank - maybe not the best folder for this thread but I couldn't see a more suitable one at the time.

Anyway, the spotlights are gone now - they worked OK but were that very LED blue / white and I didn't like them. Will probably put them on one of the cars.... lol....

Bike handles really nice - far more comfortable over 60mph than under. Leans over for miles compared to the LC and will pull the front up on the throttle in first. A lot of bike for little money - I sold my FJ1200 for the same money I bought this for and it's easily twice the bike.
The lights looked good but you are right to remove them if they are that blue. Here it's illegal to have a blue light-solid or flashing- and I when I see those I think they are just asking for trouble with some of these small town cops.

You put it in the right section. I just dont know why I didn't see it when I hit new posts.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

OK so I thought I would play around with the ignition timing. Most bikes are timed quite conservatively with the idea being they will be able to run OK on any crap fuel that is available wherever you are on the planet. The reality is most fuels (over here at least) are pretty good and you can advance the timing to make the bike actually run better.

So, I could have bought one of these suckers off eBay for about $50:

But where's the fun it that? Also, I cant adjust it - it's fixed at 4 deg.

So, I opened up the cover here:

And discovered the backing plate is screwed in place with 2 screws (the black ones):

Which means I could slot the holes and rotate the plate which will adjust the timing.

So, first thing to do is to find a suitable spot to mark the current (stock) position timing:

This way if everything goes pear shaped you know where you started from...

Then take the pick-up off and remove the backing plate (that green shit is Mr Yamaha's thread locker)

Now scribe some degree marks on the plate in the direction you want to go (OK - it's not that tidy....):

Now drill two holes beside the existing mounting holes:

And file them out to create 2 slots:

So here it is back in the stock position:

And here it is advanced about 4 degrees:

Button it all up and we're done. Probably took about 30 minutes all up - and the benefits were immediately obvious. Started first hit, pulls much smoother through the low and mids and generally runs sweeter.

And it cost nothing to do.

Just a note here - this would be pretty hard to do on an Intruder or any other bike that has the pick-up triggered off the stator rotor. But any bike that has an ignition plate you can slot it and experiment.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Good Job. [emoji106]

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

So when I swapped out the calipers I had to twist the banjo 90 deg to bolt the lines onto the new R1 calipers.

It looked like this and to be honest I didn't trust it:

So I looked on eBay for braided lines. And I came across pit bike lines for real cheap. I measured them up and it looked like I found a winner. So, with a click of a mouse, these things turned up a few weeks later from China:

And they bolted up nicely (I took the red stuff off them):

Just had to fish around for a double banjo bolt and we are good to go:

Time will tell if they are up to the task, I suppose. But in my mind, they are better than the twisted rubber hose beforehand so I feel pretty confident.

Oh - and brakes work even better now so thumbs up.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

98VS1400 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:14 am
Nice bike and useful upgrades!
Thanks Keith - it's proven to be a pretty trouble free bike after 14 months of me owning it.

For the record the el cheapo braided brake lines seem to be holding up well.

Not really much more to do now than just ride it :cheers:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Oh - thanks again for digging up this thread Keith as I do have a new addition to the Divi - I bought a mesh seat cover off eBay for it for under $20AUD. I figured it was worth a try for not a lot of outlay - and to my surprise it's pretty good.

I wasn't too confident of the thing fitting because of all the scooter pics on the eBay ad...but I chose the XXL size which equated best to the Divi seat measurements and it fits like a glove.

Kinda hard to tell from the pics but it's a cellular type of mesh that keeps your butt off the seat vinyl and allows airflow between. I've only tried it for a few rides but it seems to actually work pretty well in our summer heat :ShitGrinandThumb:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

How's that cover in the rain...or bike washing?
Is there plastic between it and the foam?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

navigator wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:05 am
How's that cover in the rain...or bike washing?
Is there plastic between it and the foam?
It just goes over the existing seat covering - you don't have any exposed foam. And it's just velcro and elastic so it's easily removed.

On the more expensive versions they claim it's better in the rain because the rain can run off the seat whilst you are sitting on it instead of pooling. Not expecting any miracles there though... :lmao:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Yea, a very small air space to keep your ass dry.
Should be comfortable in the heat though. :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

navigator wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:28 pm
Yea, a very small air space to keep your ass dry.
Should be comfortable in the heat though. :ShitGrinandThumb:
Yeah the mesh is about a quarter inch thick - but will compress when you sit on it - so not really expecting any miracles in the wet.

But ANYTHING that can help cool your ass in the summer heat is worth a try IMO :ShitGrinandThumb: