1998 Intruder 800, idle circuit needs tuning

Look here first if you are looking for a specific bike.
If you find what you're looking for, click the link.
ricktech15
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1998 Suzuki Intruder vs800

1998 Intruder 800, idle circuit needs tuning

Post by ricktech15 »

Hey guys,

I rebuilt the carbs on my suzuki because the bike was running quite rich (like gas smoke clouds out of the exhaust). i put them back together but i kinda screwed with the idle circuit and it runs but one cylinder is still running rich and every time i turn the screw it feels like im screwing it up more. Any tips for redoing the pilot screw?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: 1998 Intruder 800, idle circuit needs tuning

Post by Herb »

Turn the pilot jet screw all the way in, just until it stops, do not tighten it down or it will damage the screw and maybe the seat. Then back it out 2 full turns. That should give you a starting point.

Then start the bike and try going in both directions to find the highest idle. You may have to play with the idle adjustment to control it. After finding the highest idle I richen the mixture a little by turning out another 1/4 turn.

Before starting that procedure verify that there is no problem with the enricher (choke). If for some reason it is stuck it can seriously screw up any adjustments.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Hi Ricktech15,

To be the best of help,.please give us some more background info . Like,...which cylinder is the problematic one.
And did you try the Idle Screw Adjustment before Carb Cleaning. And, if so, what was the result? And what all you did when you rebuilt them.

Why I ask is this helps with my supposition that your issue might have something to do with the Enrichener (aka: Choke, which really it isn't)....and/or Throttle Cable.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I forgot to mention that there is an O-ring under the float needle seat. If it is bad or has a speck of dirt under it, it can allow fuel past the needle.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

How much of a "rebuild" did you do on the carbs? Did you replace the needles and needle jets? Did you replace the o rings in the float seat and the idle mixture screw? Did you check the float height? Did you take all the jets / mixture screws / emulsion tubes out and clean all the passages?

It may be simply the screw adjustment so start with 2 turns out as Herb has said - but if that doesn't help then you might need to check the float height, etc.

Also if it's the front carb then it could be the needle jet worn oval - because the slide sits flat they tend to wear out the needle jet and this can really screw up the low to mid fuelling.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Looks like Ricktech15 hasn't been back since he first posted.
First things first. We await his added background information;
Designer wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 am
Hi Ricktech15,

To be the best of help,.please give us some more background info . Like,...which cylinder is the problematic one.
And did you try the Idle Screw Adjustment before Carb Cleaning. And, if so, what was the result? And what all you did when you rebuilt them.

Why I ask is this helps with my supposition that your issue might have something to do with the Enrichener (aka: Choke, which really it isn't)....and/or Throttle Cable.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!