VS700 Oil Leak

Look here first if you are looking for a specific bike.
If you find what you're looking for, click the link.
TripleKing
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder VS700

VS700 Oil Leak

Post by TripleKing »

I replaced the clutch on my 86 VS700. I installed a new genuine Suzuki gasket and was careful to use the correct bolts in the correct holes. I have no drips at the cover, but now I have oil leaking from the center of the engine. The drip seems to me from a bolt that holds the case together to the left of the drain plug, but i have no drips at any gasket or seal. The engine had no leaks before. I went through the cover twice more and it still leaks. I am stumped.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: VS700 Oil Leak

Post by sgtcall »

Can you post a picture of where the leak is coming from?

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

There is a sump and screen to the rear of the drain plug, that gasket is o-ring material. is that where it is leaking?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

navigator wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:47 am
There is a sump and screen to the rear of the drain plug, that gasket is o-ring material. is that where it is leaking?
Didn't Lechy have that issue once?
Lechy wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:08 pm
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Take a kitchen towel and clean the case under the shifter, see what you get. The splines can damage the lip seal causing oil to seep and migrate to a drip point. Tip: when re-fitting the alternator cover wrap a little insulation tape around the splines and add a little lubrication.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

TripleKing
Practicing Bicycling

Post by TripleKing »

I would post a picture, but I don't have a way to upload to get a URL. The like is not coming from the clutch cover, shifter spline or anywhere on the side of the engine. It is coming from the bottom of the engine where a bolt goes through to joint the two sides of the case. It is not leaking from the seal where the two sides of the case meet, but from the left side of the bolt itself. That leak is minor. I fixed the leak at the drain plug. When I had fork work done on the bike (for the second time) I had the shop doing the work do an engine oil change (I got lazy and figured it was there already). The drain plug was installed with no crush washer at all.

Now interestingly, when the bike is cold and has not run in several hours. It only leaks when the engine is running or off, but still warm. It is definitely coming from where I described.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Have you tried checking the torque on the bolt(s) in that area?

If the leak is coming from around the head of the bolt there is a chance that the inner part of the gasket has deteriorated allowing oil to go out alongside the bolt.

Since replacing the whole gasket would be an expensive pain in the butt you might pull the bolt and put a fiber gasket washer on it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

TripleKing wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:55 pm
I would post a picture, but I don't have a way to upload to get a URL. The like is not coming from the clutch cover, shifter spline or anywhere on the side of the engine. It is coming from the bottom of the engine where a bolt goes through to joint the two sides of the case. It is not leaking from the seal where the two sides of the case meet, but from the left side of the bolt itself. That leak is minor. I fixed the leak at the drain plug. When I had fork work done on the bike (for the second time) I had the shop doing the work do an engine oil change (I got lazy and figured it was there already). The drain plug was installed with no crush washer at all.

Now interestingly, when the bike is cold and has not run in several hours. It only leaks when the engine is running or off, but still warm. It is definitely coming from where I described.
GO to https://postimages.org/
Then follow these instructions.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Try fitting bonded washers to the bolts, give everything a good clean first.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rubber+ ... 4&dpr=1.09
Grow old disgracefully young man.

TripleKing
Practicing Bicycling

Post by TripleKing »

I will try to get a wrench on it What is frustrating is that until i repaired the clutch I had no leaks, If i was going to have a leak I figured it would have been from the clutch cover. Go figure.