Front carb on 1987 intruder

Look here first if you are looking for a specific bike.
If you find what you're looking for, click the link.
RobR1988
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 intruder 700

Front carb on 1987 intruder

Post by RobR1988 »

Had a problem with fuel build up in the carbs. Took them apart and had a rebuild kit installed. Put the bike back together and now only the rear carb is getting gas. The front won't send any threw so only one cylinder is firing. Pretty new to motorcycle repair so apriciate any advise you guys got. Thanks.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Front carb on 1987 intruder

Post by hillsy v2 »

Sounds like the float valve is stuck shut. Front carb can be tricky as it points down and the float bowl isn't horizontal.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

First check the fuses. Jumper the hot wire on the fuel pump to an orange wire off a coil, this will allow the pump to operate without the relay needing to be activated. Remove the tank and McGuyver a hose from tank to pump, keep the tank high, like on a table. Unhook the fuel line from the front carb,stick it in a glass bottle and turn on the ignition. You should here the pump ticking and get flow into the bottle, proving the pump and lines. If good, replace the line back onto the carb, open the drain screw on the bottom of the float chamber, put a rag or receptacle to catch the fuel, turn on the ignition and see if fuel is flowing.no flow, give the bowl a few gentle raps with a screwdriver, still no flow, then it's time to remove the carb and re-set the float height. Sarge has links to workshop manuals.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

The first time I had the tank off my bike I thought that the main fuel cock workd by turning it off in one direction and on in the other. When I put it back together it wouldn't run.

I have also put the hoses on the tank backwards and it causes a kink in the hoses to the sub-cock.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:20 am
The first time I had the tank off my bike I thought that the main fuel cock workd by turning it off in one direction and on in the other. When I put it back together it wouldn't run.

I have also put the hoses on the tank backwards and it causes a kink in the hoses to the sub-cock.
Mine would run for about 2 miles with the main fuel cock off, that little tool kit in the back rest was a life saver. :bonk:
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.