HELP I REQUEST INFORMATION HELP IN LAS VEGAS, NV

Look here first if you are looking for a specific bike.
If you find what you're looking for, click the link.
homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 96 intruder vs800glAT

HELP I REQUEST INFORMATION HELP IN LAS VEGAS, NV

Post by homieedoo1 »

:confused:

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Re: HELP I REQUEST INFORMATION HELP IN LAS VEGAS, NV

Post by homieedoo1 »

I too live in Las vegas. I am the owner of a 96 vs800 intruder that needs rebuilding(engine)desperately. Have done a compression check (wet and dry). Front cylinder has 115 lbs.(dry) 154 lbs. (wet). Rear has 109 (dry) 152 (wet). Has anyone that lives in Vegas ever delt with machine shops on a bike basis here. I would love some heads up (recommendations) as to where to take my heads and for cylinder honeying. I believe I can do this myself. The rest of the bike is in ok condition. Believe it or not it still runs and runs half way decent. I have replaced all the tires, new brakes,throttle cables, choke cables internal choke plungers and springs, rebuilt carbs,carb boots,coolant hoses,rebuilt clutch master cylinder, slave,brake master, front caliper,radiator switch, coolant temp sensor, pods on carbs w/socks, fuel lines,brake light switches front and rear, voltage regulator, starter solinoid, turn signal relay(blinker), fuel pump. What a learning experience. It's taken about 3 years so far. I hope the bottom end is ok. It has 35000 mi. Shifts good. Bought it 5 years ago for 600. Love the color. Blue / green teal. Has the 21 inch front wheel. Has intruder chrome badges on front fender and rear fender. Everything else works. Took the handle bar switches off (starter switch,turn signal switches, high/low headlight switch and cleaned w/electrical cleaner and resoldered the connections. I don't know what shops people use and trust in Vegas. Any input would be a big help..Thank you for any help

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Did you have the throttle wide open when you did the compression check?
Grow old disgracefully young man.

homieedoo1
Practicing Bicycling

Post by homieedoo1 »

Yes sir, WOT, I got that from the manual

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

If it runs good just ride it.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:14 am
If it runs good just ride it.
+1, if it runs good, no need to rebuild.
Those compression numbers aren't bad.
with 35000 on her she is young.
Have you synced the carbs? Have you performed a valve adjustment?
Adjust them with the engine stone cold.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

It's more than likely just stuck rings from sitting. Adding the oil and getting a better reading tends to indicate that.

Reading your post you've had the bike for 5 years and took 3 of those to get it together? You can use Seafoam or a similar additive to help loosen up the rings. But if you keep riding it and heat cycling the engine the rings should eventually come free. If there's damage on the pistons or bores it will become obvious with blue smoke. You won't damage any other part of the motor by running a bike with bad / stuck piston rings anyway.

Don't worry about it - ride and enjoy. And congrats on getting it back on the road.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Take it over to Herb's house and let him help you out.
Herb wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:01 pm
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.