Broken threaded shock mount..

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Stratusphere86
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 94 VS1400 Suzuki Intruder

Broken threaded shock mount..

Post by Stratusphere86 »

Hello all, I have a 94 1400 Suzuki Intruder and was wondering if anyone has broken the upper threaded portion of the shock mount? If so what has to be done? I have a picture to attach, I'd really appreciate any help.. I was putting on new shocks and and as I was tighten the nut on it broke :( thanks in advance
Ok sorry I dont know how to attach a picture??

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Broken threaded shock mount..

Post by hillsy »

Stratusphere86 wrote:Hello all, I have a 94 1400 Suzuki Intruder and was wondering if anyone has broken the upper threaded portion of the shock mount? If so what has to be done? I have a picture to attach, I'd really appreciate any help.. I was putting on new shocks and and as I was tighten the nut on it broke :( thanks in advance
Ok sorry I dont know how to attach a picture??
There's a couple of ways to skin this cat. If the thread isn't damaged too badly / the nut is damged you might be able to cut it again with a die or clean it up with a thread file and replace the nut. Or you can cut down the thread to the next size down and replace the nut. Or you can cut off the threaded part and tap into the shaft and replace the nut with a bolt and washer. Or you can have a new stud welded in.

Stratusphere86
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Stratusphere86 »

Thank you for your reply, the threaded stud is what broke off during tighten it up, gonna have to weld on a new stud at this point, I just didn't know the other piece or the rest if the peg was removable from the frame, Its not a replaceable part I think, is there a way to post a picture do I can show whoever?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

This site doesn't host pictures - you will need to upload to a pic host site (Imgur, Flickr, Google Pics, etc) and post an image link.

You are right that the part is not "replaceable" as such - you will either need to have another stud welded in or tap the remaining stud for a bolt.

Stratusphere86
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Stratusphere86 »

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Joshu ... sort=1&o=0

Yeah I'm gonna try to weld a new stud in place and see how that goes, the link above is the picture I took of it earlier, again thanks for the advice

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Sorry - the pic link doesn't work for me?

Stratusphere86
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Stratusphere86 »

Sorry first time trying to post it, works for me but I'm not sure how else to do it

Radmax
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1993 VS800GL

Post by Radmax »

I had this exact same thing happen on my LS650 and I believe the post on the intruder is exactly the same.

I just ground off and cleaned up the post, drilled and tapped a center hole and used a stainless bolt and large washer. To get the hole centered I made a jig...

I'm not sure how reliable pictures are on this forum so here is a link to an IMGUR post I made to show someone else how to do it.

Hope this helps.
-- Zoom Zoom --