Showing the Electrics Some TLC

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Showing the Electrics Some TLC

Post by rocksandhammers »

One of the things I was hoping to do this winter is get the electrics in good working order. When I had some electrical problems last riding season I discovered much of the bike's electrics could use some love. A lot of connections just crimped together (sometimes not even that much). Electrical tape everywhere. Dead end wires. You name it.

As of right now my plan is to start by going over all the switches up front (lights, handlebar switches) and hitting everything with some CRC electrical parts cleaner. Once everything is clean and dry I was going to coat all the connections with some dielectric grease. Haven't really used the stuff before so should I be sparing or really give everything a thick coat?

Once all the switches are good I'm going to go wire-by-wire through the wiring harness looking for connections. I'll then solder everything and wrap it in heat wrap before trying to get the wiring harness as nice as possible.

Is there anything I should include in this process? Anything I should pay specific attention to? If it helps this is on my 06 VS800.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Showing the Electrics Some TLC

Post by navigator »

One connector in particular needs to be kept clean with good tight connections.
3 Yellow wires from the stator to the regulator, located under your seat.
A thin coat of dielectric should suffice.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7461&p=96902&hilit ... tor#p96902

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

navigator wrote:One connector in particular needs to be kept clean with good tight connections.
If you are going to solder any wires in place, it should be these ones.

Seriously, how often are you going to unplug your stator and R/R?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

hillsy wrote:
navigator wrote:One connector in particular needs to be kept clean with good tight connections.

Since I average 10k per year, I unplug it every winter to gain access to the rear air filter.
So if you do solder them, make sure they are long enough to get them out of the way.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

navigator wrote:
hillsy wrote:

Since I average 10k per year, I unplug it every winter to gain access to the rear air filter.
So if you do solder them, make sure they are long enough to get them out of the way.
Fair enough I suppose. Still a good idea to solder these connections because any corrosion can cause them to fry.

I relocated the RR on my LC to beside the floorboard. They usually reside (or cook) underneath the fake primary cover.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Chocolate block or strip connector covered with Vaseline is how ive done it. The srcews are kept tight and I can remove it if I want.

My reg is just in front of the rear swing arm on the engine where the battery should be. I don't have a battery box any more. My batt is under the seat like a proper bike.

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Post by rocksandhammers »

Awesome. I'll be sure to show these some extra love.
hillsy wrote:
navigator wrote:
hillsy wrote:

Fair enough I suppose. Still a good idea to solder these connections because any corrosion can cause them to fry.

I relocated the RR on my LC to beside the floorboard. They usually reside (or cook) underneath the fake primary cover.

Yeah, I usually get just under 10k miles a year as well, so I usually have to pull the air filters at least once a year. Probably will just make sure they're clean and greased up. For the soldering I'm mainly just looking at strengthening any wires that are currently just crimped together during the previous owners hack job electrical work.