Front caliper seized, how to rebuild master cylinder?

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Front caliper seized, how to rebuild master cylinder?

Post by hillsy »

So you've replaced the hose and the banjo bolt - are they compatible? At least one of the two needs a recess around the fluid hole - if you have both that are not recessed you will not get the fluid to flow.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

KennyFSU wrote:
navigator wrote:I'm starting to wonder if the seals in the master cylinder are installed in the correct direction.
The open or bowl side of both cup seals should face towards the pressure side, that is towards the spring.

That rear seal looks to be damaged, not saying it's your problem, but it sure won't help.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

hillsy wrote:So you've replaced the hose and the banjo bolt - are they compatible? At least one of the two needs a recess around the fluid hole - if you have both that are not recessed you will not get the fluid to flow.
Agreed. Good call.

Also a good call by Lechy on the seal damage, looks like a chunk out of it. That would make for no pressure, but it shouldn't inhibit flow during reverse bleeding.

KennyFSU
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1991 Suzuki Intruder 750

Post by KennyFSU »

So I just wanted to thank everyone that provided some input for this problem. I ended up buying a master cylinder off a '95 and after installing it I was able to bleed the brakes like normal. So far the bike has been stopping fine, haven't tried taking out on the road yet but it did well around my complex. Thanks again and be safe, all.