Pants Recommendations

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Pants Recommendations

Post by rocksandhammers »

Hey guys. In the market for some protective gear for my lower half. I've always worn all the other gear: helmet, jacket, boots, gloves. Never had anything for protecting my legs though and I'm thinking it's time to take the next step. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, either for specific brands or for styles (denim vs. textiles, chaps vs. pants, etc.).

I'm leaning towards pants, probably jeans, because I like the idea of having knee/hip padding, but I could be convinced to go a different route. I was leaning towards jeans over textile mainly for style reasons, but if textile is more abrasion resistant I've seen some that look good. I'm also concerned about comfort since I ride most days during the summer, so things like breath-ability, water resistance and overall comfort are also factors.

I wasn't sure about sizing either. I typically wear a 38 waist in jeans, so should I stick with that for moto jeans or should I go up a size?

Wasn't sure if this was the right board to post this topic to so if not I can repost it in a more appropriate place. Thanks in advance for any advice.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Pants Recommendations

Post by navigator »

I use these, you can wear them under any pants.
https://www.bohnarmor.com/product/all-s ... ing-pants/

Review here:

I also have several pair of kevlar lined jeans, baggy but comfortable.
there are several manufacturers, Draggin, Fly racing,highway 21, scorpion,...shop around.

JMO.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Obviously Full Leather offers the best protection
Many riders prefer Levis and (Assless chaps) and this is OK if you slide on your front, not so OK if you slid on your butt.
I ware Lee jeans and sometimes chaps I also ware Carhartt jeans with the pockets for knee inserts
I have a few sets of leather chaps and the heaviest set I have are made from water buffalo hide
You can also find lots of Armored rider gear such as the Armored riding pants navigator posted Bohn also has Armored Shirts. These systems protect your joints in the event of a crash.
A friend of mine wares Kevlar (bicycle) riding pants under his Full leather pants and Armored jacket
You have a lot of options.

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast

FallenAngel wrote:Obviously Full Leather offers the best protection
Many riders prefer Levis and (Assless chaps) and this is OK if you slide on your front, not so OK if you slid on your butt.
I ware Lee jeans and sometimes chaps I also ware Carhartt jeans with the pockets for knee inserts
I have a few sets of leather chaps and the heaviest set I have are made from water buffalo hide
You can also find lots of Armored rider gear such as the Armored riding pants navigator posted Bohn also has Armored Shirts. These systems protect your joints in the event of a crash.
A friend of mine wares Kevlar (bicycle) riding pants under his Full leather pants and Armored jacket
You have a lot of options.
Yeah, wasn't planning on the full leathers since those get pretty pricey and I'm not ever going to the track or anything like that. Plus I'd imagine they get hot as fuck in the summer. I like the idea of chaps since you easily put them on over normal jeans, but they don't seem to offer the amount of protection I'm looking for. I would like something with armor at the joints and other areas, but I would imagine these only do so much in terms of protection, so I'm much more concerned with abrasion resistance. And yes, there are a lot of options, which makes it a little hard to decide. Haha

navigator wrote:I use these, you can wear them under any pants.
https://www.bohnarmor.com/product/all-s ... ing-pants/

Review here:

I also have several pair of kevlar lined jeans, baggy but comfortable.
there are several manufacturers, Draggin, Fly racing,highway 21, scorpion,...shop around.

JMO.
Hadn't heard of Bohn before. It looks interesting, and I knew they had pants to wear over your normal pants, but I haven't heard of anything you wear under your pants. They look pretty protective. How do they do in the heat? Pretty breathable?

I've been shopping around a little. These are the one's I'm looking at right now. All the links are from Bike Bandit, but I'm going to look around for prices. Went there since they have a large selection so I can get a feel for whats out there.

https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear- ... ts/p/34120

https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear- ... ns/p/56469

https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear- ... nt/p/24136

https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear- ... ts/p/24133

They all have some pros and cons. I like the idea of an overpant because I commute on the bike a lot, and it would be nice to have something I can slip out of when I get there instead of wearing it around all day. I've also had some boots and other gear from Tour Master that I was pretty satisfied with.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Overpants are a good option for commuting to work, then you can slip out of them.
The Bonn under armour do breathe well, and aren't too bad in the heat.
I don't commute to work, I just ride, so I remove them at my destination.
All have their place as well as pro's and cons.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Just curious, have you made a decision? Since I have never bought any clothing specifically for riding bikes I had no input but I would be interested in knowing what, why and the results of your choice.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast

98VS1400 wrote:It’s not an option for the budget minded though, I paid about $1100 for set but that included Forma boots, too.
Yeah, I'm on that grad student budget so that's not going to be a reality for me. Hahaha. I dedicate too large of a portion of my income to riding as it is.
Herb wrote:Just curious, have you made a decision? Since I have never bought any clothing specifically for riding bikes I had no input but I would be interested in knowing what, why and the results of your choice.
Sorry for the lack of update. Ended up going with the Tourmaster Overpants (https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear- ... nt/p/24136). Got them for a reasonable price and I like the idea of not having to wear them around all day. Plus when it gets real hot I was thinking I might be able to wear shorts under them which would be a nice change. Not a fan of jeans in 90+ degree weather.

Got the email last night that they shipped so should have them soon and will post an update of how they do.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

thanks for the update.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Squisher
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2003 Intruder 1400

Post by Squisher »

I've used up 2 pairs of those tourmaster pants. They're reasonably comfortable and convenient to put on and take off due to the side zips. Rain proof too. Both of mine had the stitching fail at the front pocket corners. The last pair only lasted 2 seasons :( First pair made it 4 because I kept fixing the stitching.

Current pair is an Alpha brand my wife bought me for my birthday in November. They're comfy and seem skookum enough but I haven't had them long enough to know about longevity.