2003 intruder 800 rear cylinder extremely rich at idle HELP

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Eklundcc
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder 800

2003 intruder 800 rear cylinder extremely rich at idle HELP

Post by Eklundcc »

Hey all,
So I bought this bike for cheap recently and have been working on getting it running right. It was completely dumping fuel out of both carbs, so I took them out, rebuilt them, and adjusted the floats. It is no longer dumping fuel, and is running pretty great off idle, but I cannot figure out why the rear cylinder is running extremely rich at idle. I can guarantee the pilot jet, main jet, and float levels are all correct (I’ve done them multiple times now with a quality rebuild kit). It is running so rich that turning the AF mixture screw completely clockwise still isn’t “lean” enough. Spark is strong, compression is great, it is definitely a fuel issue from what I can tell.

So, ruling out the pilot jet, main jet, and float level (sits ~1/4” below bowl mating surface), does anyone have any suggestions on what the issue might be?
It’s running so rich it’s almost misting fuel out of the exhaust pipe and fouling plugs.

Does the diaphragm have any effect on the idle circuit? I noticed the diaphragm “plunger” for lack of better word has had the air hole enlarged by the previous owner, what effect would that have/why do it?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: 2003 intruder 800 rear cylinder extremely rich at idle HELP

Post by hillsy »

Are you checking the float height or the fuel level?

Eklundcc
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Eklundcc »

Fuel level, sorry. I used a clear tube at the drain port to check the fuel level of the bowl. Sits about a 1/4” below the bowl mating surface

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Have you checked to make sure the choke (enricher valve) is properly working? I had the front valve stick open and it did about the same thing you are talking about except it would foul the plug if I let it idle very long
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Eklundcc
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Eklundcc »

I did, and it seemed to be functioning fine with no kinks or anything. I may just temporarily completely remove the choke cable from the rear carb tomorrow and see if anything changes.

Do you have any idea why the diaphragm plunger (Sorry don’t know the correct term - the black piston thing that slides up and down) would have the small air hole drilled out and enlarged? I’m thinking the PO may have installed a jet kit or something and maybe that has something to do with it. But I replaced all the needles and jets back to factory spec.

Sorry I’m not well versed in carburetors, FI is much more my speed. Thank you for the help!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Eklundcc wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:46 pm
I did, and it seemed to be functioning fine with no kinks or anything. I may just temporarily completely remove the choke cable from the rear carb tomorrow and see if anything changes.

Do you have any idea why the diaphragm plunger (Sorry don’t know the correct term - the black piston thing that slides up and down) would have the small air hole drilled out and enlarged? I’m thinking the PO may have installed a jet kit or something and maybe that has something to do with it. But I replaced all the needles and jets back to factory spec.

Sorry I’m not well versed in carburetors, FI is much more my speed. Thank you for the help!
A lot of aftermarket jetting kits will instruct to drill out the hole in the slide. This is to adjust the responsiveness of the slide for different taper needles.

Eklundcc
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Eklundcc »

hillsy wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:54 pm
Eklundcc wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:46 pm

A lot of aftermarket jetting kits will instruct to drill out the hole in the slide. This is to adjust the responsiveness of the slide for different taper needles.
Would this have any effect on the idle circuit? If I look into the carb while it is idling I can see fuel coming out around the needle/main jet area