1993 Suzuki vx800 help please

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
petersenroger02
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 93 suzuki vx800

1993 Suzuki vx800 help please

Post by petersenroger02 »

I really need someone to help me I have the Manual but im not finding everything I need to know. Which way does the fuel.pump flow which gas line goes on what side. I have the gas tank line on the side where the little nipple is vertical. And the line for the carb is the one going horizontal. Hopefully that is correct. And Is my petcock vaccum. Cause I have another little nipple for a hose by the gas nipple. And does that run to the first carb. I pulled the carbs and cleaned them and never have done this before im really struggling on getting it running. Any help I would be so grateful .

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: 1993 Suzuki vx800 help please

Post by Designer »

Because I own 1400's, I do not have the Hands-on knowledge you seek.

However!..I do know that Navigator DOES! :clap: ( and several others too) :ShitGrinandThumb:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Most fuel pumps have "IN" stamped next to one of the ports to signify the inlet port.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Here, let me help you with information that is more specific to the 800 from An Expert, instead of generalized "Some Pumps" info that might/might not be of help;
navigator wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:43 am
Good Possibility.
Assuming it is a stock fuel pump, the line from the tank goes to the rear inlet on the pump. The front outlet goes to the rear carb.
And to be of further help, here's a link for you to read what Navigator said in context.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13285&p=196037&start=20

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I'm unsure if the VS and VX run the same pump.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

navigator wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:56 am
I'm unsure if the VS and VX run the same pump.
Your expertise comes through again! :clap:

Indeed they are different. :ShitGrin:

According to the Factory Suzuki Parts Microfiche,...the Fuel Output-to-Carb is the Straight Hose Barb (horizontal) on the Right Side of the Fuel Pump.

Hope this helps you out,...petersenroger02. :bow:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

The parts fiche is all good and well assuming the pump is OEM - which it may not be. And no one here knows what a VX pump looks like anyway.

OP - connect the fuel tank hose to one of the pump ports. Connect another piece of hose to the other port and have this drain into a container. Power the pump and see if it flows. If not swap the hoses. Swap them anyway to make sure. Mark the inlet. Remove the guesswork.

While you are there measure the flow volume. It should flow around a pint (or more) in a minute.

BTW - we had a regular customer in our shop that had a VX800 as a courier bike back in the day. I rode it a few times after working on it - very nice bike to ride. Hope you enjoy it.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

One other thing - if the bike doesn't already have one get a cardboard element fuel filter to run inline before the fuel pump.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:02 pm
And no one here knows what a VX pump looks like anyway.
Some one does know what a VX800 fuel pump looks like. It's right there, in the Factory Suzuki OEM Parts Microfiche:

And,...we are over 90% sure the OP does have a stock fuel pump by him saying this;
petersenroger02 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:03 pm
I have the gas tank line on the side where the little nipple is vertical. And the line for the carb is the one going horizontal.
And that his hose connections tank-to-pump-to-carb are correct.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

There you go - someone Googled it for you.

Still should check the flow and add a filter.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Hi petersonroger02. Now that the Microfiche I posted show's your hoses are connected correctly. any word on how things are going for you?

petersenroger02
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 93 suzuki vx800

Post by petersenroger02 »

They are going very good thank you I have the pump hooked up right it's finally not spilling gas into my airbox anymore which was due to me bending the float on the rear carb That problem seems to be fixed I had it running for a few minutes and no gas is spitting into the air filter Box anymore. Aren't. I bought a vacuum synchronizing tool for my VX 800 now if someone could please tell me a step-by-step procedure I did find the vacuum his a vacuum hose on the rear carburetor which is actually the same one that goes to my pet cock And then I did find the other one that is just a screw on the front carburetor on the right side of it that I unscrew and hook the vacuum line into Can someone please tell me how to adjust everything once I hook these vacuum lines up where is the air/fuel mix screw I don't know what that is or do I just adjust everything with the vacuum synchronized tool just only with my synchronizing cable and my throttle screw I'm very new to all this so if you could please give me a dummy step-by-step I'd really appreciate it

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

petersenroger02 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:25 pm
They are going very good thank you I have the pump hooked up right it's finally not spilling gas into my airbox anymore which was due to me bending the float on the rear carb That problem seems to be fixed I had it running for a few minutes and no gas is spitting into the air filter Box anymore. Aren't. I bought a vacuum synchronizing tool for my VX 800 now if someone could please tell me a step-by-step procedure I did find the vacuum his a vacuum hose on the rear carburetor which is actually the same one that goes to my pet cock And then I did find the other one that is just a screw on the front carburetor on the right side of it that I unscrew and hook the vacuum line into Can someone please tell me how to adjust everything once I hook these vacuum lines up where is the air/fuel mix screw I don't know what that is or do I just adjust everything with the vacuum synchronized tool just only with my synchronizing cable and my throttle screw I'm very new to all this so if you could please give me a dummy step-by-step I'd really appreciate it
See the third post here for step y step:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12844&p=187437&hilit=sync#p187437

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Most VXes one finds these days have a vacuum-operated fuel petcock with just two postions, ON and RES. There is no off position. Most modern petcocks are designed so that if the engine is not running (i.e. no vacuum) then fuel will not flow. This means you don't have to remember to shut off the fuel manually when you stop. Many bikes also have a "PRIME" position, which overrides the vacuum disable, since otherwise starting can be difficult with no fuel in the carburetor float bowls. The VX does not have this feature.

But the first models (or possibly all years) of the VX had a more traditional ON/OFF/RES petcock (with OFF in between ON and RES). Apparently there were enough complaints about fuel in the cylinders that the upgrade to the vacuum petcock was done as a "customer satisfaction" upgrade, and retrofitted to most bikes. Apparently the knob isn't keyed on the shaft, because it was apparently fairly common for the knob to be put on backwards after the upgrade, causing the ON and RES indications to be reversed. When correctly installed on a vacuum petcock, turning the knob clockwise should move you from ON to RES. If yours turns the other way, your RES setting won't work.

The Suzuki number for the petcock replacement kit, if you dealer can't seem to find it, is 44300-45810. They are a bit pricey new...I'd search ebay or online salvage yards.

Be warned that the vacuum line for the fuel valve plugs into a vacuum outlet which was originally used just for doing carb balancing. If you disconnect it to hook up the carb balancer, the fuel petcock will stay closed, and your engine won't run. You'll need to make a T adapter for the vacuum line, or run from a different fuel source,

There have been several reports of a nonfunctional "reserve". This allows all the fuel in the tank to be used with the petcock set to "ON". Then when the petcock is turned to "reserve", there is no fuel left in the tank. So far the people affected on the mailing just live with it and keep closer tabs on the fuel level