Any M109(R) riders?

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Any M109(R) riders?

Post by wj_hurd »

Do we have any M109(R) riders here?
I'm curious about those machines... I usually not a fan but I found one I would ride the ball out of in a heartbeat! :rag: :rock:

Usually the headlight puts me off, but I don't know if its the chrome accent on this one that changes it or what?! :donno:

So anyone got any feedback about this mighty steed? :putput:
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Re: Any M109(R) riders?

Post by Spitfire »

Like the lines, chrome & black but the Darth Vader helmet has to go. :tongue:

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

I have a buddy that has one. He loves it. Let me ride it a couple times, didn't care for it. It's a big, heavy bike that feels like a big heavy bike. The M90 is much more agile, IMO.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Nice.

Very similar to this.....

but I like mine a little better.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

YoDude wrote:Nice.

Yo-
And that folks is all that really matters. :HatTip:

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

YoDude wrote:Nice.

Yo-
I like your bike too Yo!

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

enforcer wrote:I have a buddy that has one. He loves it. Let me ride it a couple times, didn't care for it. It's a big, heavy bike that feels like a big heavy bike. The M90 is much more agile, IMO.
Good to hear... I'm torn about the look of the bikes... I'm just not a fan of the headlights much.
My stepson picked up an 03 Yamaha warrior 1700... WHAT A BEAST! Power house of a machine, and actually very nimble. I would raise the handle bars back to a more comfortable position and the controls are a little too forward for my liking. But crack the throttle... hold the f**k on!
My 1400 is still damn strong, but no where near that warrior... I'm a bit smitten! :shock:

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

wj_hurd wrote:
enforcer wrote:I have a buddy that has one. He loves it. Let me ride it a couple times, didn't care for it. It's a big, heavy bike that feels like a big heavy bike. The M90 is much more agile, IMO.
Good to hear... I'm torn about the look of the bikes... I'm just not a fan of the headlights much.
My stepson picked up an 03 Yamaha warrior 1700... WHAT A BEAST! Power house of a machine, and actually very nimble. I would raise the handle bars back to a more comfortable position and the controls are a little too forward for my liking. But crack the throttle... hold the f**k on!
My 1400 is still damn strong, but no where near that warrior... I'm a bit smitten! :shock:
I like the Warrior. The big bikes that don't feel big and have a lot of power are as Yamahas. Most are air cooled (so you lose a good chunk of weight in one place that throws off the balance right there) and designed for massive torque. Very well balanced and all the weight down low. Handle like a dream. Yammies are fine motorcycles, I just couldn't find one I thought would hold value enough by the time I paid it off. I like adding accessories and setting the bike up for me. The Harley is a bit of a pig, but I'm working on seeking some more power out of the motor. (Thinking about gear driven cams with a different profile) The BMW on the other hand is an adrenaline rush. I didn't think I'd like a sport touring bike, but baby that thing is amazing. Power to weigh is insane. And they last forever. Only drawback is parts are expensive. Otherwise, I would buy another in a heartbeat. Especially if all I did was tour.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Have rode more Raiders and Warrior's than 109 but back around the second year of 109 the shop had one of the nice blue with big white stripe down it rare ones.It allso was the only one that had troubles.It was getting away with way too much oil.After lots of trys at simple a fix they gave the owner back his money [emoji106] .They tore it down and gave it new rings and since winter wanted some miles on it and asked me the cold weather nut :bonk: to ride it 300 miles.At first I did not like the wide rear tire.It looked great and at gas and coffee shops got lots around it as only bike out and looked badass.Every crack and road dimple felt even more so when you went over them.It handled good for a big bike and had real good power.By 200 mile had got into more go around bad spots and liked it lots more.
Really like the Raider better with its good looking air cooled two push rods in each tube better.Motor is better looking than my Harley to me.They feel better when you grab a hand full to me but may be like the 1400 and feel lots meaner than they are [emoji2] .Just my 2cents will take a Warrior or Raider over the 109.Do like the shaft better on 109 as have broken three belts on my 04 1700 RoadStar with the same type motor and a old drag racing friend broke one on his Warrior.We did abuse them. [emoji2]

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

old time rider wrote:Have rode more Raiders and Warrior's than 109 but back around the second year of 109 the shop had one of the nice blue with big white stripe down it rare ones.It allso was the only one that had troubles.It was getting away with way too much oil.After lots of trys at simple a fix they gave the owner back his money [emoji106] .They tore it down and gave it new rings and since winter wanted some miles on it and asked me the cold weather nut :bonk: to ride it 300 miles.At first I did not like the wide rear tire.It looked great and at gas and coffee shops got lots around it as only bike out and looked badass.Every crack and road dimple felt even more so when you went over them.It handled good for a big bike and had real good power.By 200 mile had got into more go around bad spots and liked it lots more.
Really like the Raider better with its good looking air cooled two push rods in each tube better.Motor is better looking than my Harley to me.They feel better when you grab a hand full to me but may be like the 1400 and feel lots meaner than they are [emoji2] .Just my 2cents will take a Warrior or Raider over the 109.Do like the shaft better on 109 as have broken three belts on my 04 1700 RoadStar with the same type motor and a old drag racing friend broke one on his Warrior.We did abuse them. [emoji2]
So a raider over a Warrior huh?
I loved riding his bike, but like I said its not as comfortable as my Intruder, get the bars back some and the controls back a bit more and it would be awesome to me. He also lowered it hard... I went around a corner at an intersection and scraped the peg! :bonk: :shock:
Here's a couple of picts of it....
Before he lowered it -
Imageimage by Warren Hurd, on Flickr
After

So how do you feel about the Strykers? I know they are 1400CC, EFI, OHC. How do they compare to their big brothers?

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

wj_hurd wrote:
old time rider wrote:Have rode more Raiders and Warrior's than 109 but back around the second year of 109 the shop had one of the nice blue with big white stripe down it rare ones.It allso was the only one that had troubles.It was getting away with way too much oil.After lots of trys at simple a fix they gave the owner back his money [emoji106] .They tore it down and gave it new rings and since winter wanted some miles on it and asked me the cold weather nut :bonk: to ride it 300 miles.At first I did not like the wide rear tire.It looked great and at gas and coffee shops got lots around it as only bike out and looked badass.Every crack and road dimple felt even more so when you went over them.It handled good for a big bike and had real good power.By 200 mile had got into more go around bad spots and liked it lots more.
So a raider over a Warrior huh?
I loved riding his bike, but like I said its not as comfortable as my Intruder, get the bars back some and the controls back a bit more and it would be awesome to me. He also lowered it hard... I went around a corner at an intersection and scraped the peg! :bonk: :shock:
Here's a couple of picts of it....
Before he lowered it -
After

So how do you feel about the Strykers? I know they are 1400CC, EFI, OHC. How do they compare to their big brothers?
Yep. Raider has a slightly larger engine, more power and is better balanced. I really wanted one, but I wasn't going to turn it into the touring bike I needed.

Strykers are 1300, same motor as their V Star counter part. Great bikes in their own right, but less comfortable, balanced, etc. I'm tall and I felt cramped and the seat was terrible. It's more of a side grade from a 1400. Not really anything I see as an upgrade, except the EFI and modern look.

Never met a Yammie I didn't like. My advice, ride them all and see which one you like best. I feel guilty hitting all the dealers and test riding bikes when I know I'm not going to buy one right now. What can I say, I'm a bikeaholic. Definitely on of the best holics out there. [emoji106]

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Am sure not that brand loyal but owned more Suzuki fours than any thing.After my drag racing at strips ended 1977-87 and two traffic shool vists and lots tickets.Did not but any more fours and stayed with slow stuff like my Harleys and 1400.My 17 RoadStar like the 1400 feels fast if you have never been on a really fast bike like a Suzuki Hy 1300 or Kaw Connie 1400.Ride one take it to red line every shift then tell me how fast your cruiser is. [emoji2]
The nice looking motor IMO push rod,air cooled big v-twin Yamaha started in 1999 I think with the RoadStar 1600.It became a 1700 in 04.The Warrior was a more powerfull 1700.Radier is 1900 like the more tour 1900 they allso have and its smoother than the 1700 with more balance in the motor.All are fun that I have rode. [emoji106] All these motors look alike.