stalled now runs

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
ardo
Studying MC Handbook

stalled now runs

Post by ardo »

Hi all, few days ago I was going to work in heavy traffic, the bike 2000 intruder 1400, with 10k miles stalled, it did stall few times and it restarts, then started to spatter stalled and would not start long story short got my truck brought it home, i removed the rear air filter cover, sprayed some quick start, started up and die, I am convinced the problem is fuel issue, I removed the gas tank made sure the gas is flowing out, i disconnected the petcock, sprayed with carb cleaner and reconnect I thought the fuel pump was bad, i ordered fuel pump ( on its way) today just so I am sure it is the fuel pump I hooked up to the bike without the clutch as I hit the starter button the pump came alive then the bike started and ran.
My question to the forum is; could the relay or the pump be effected by the temperature?, have anyone experienced situation like this? any input is appreciated.

cheers
Ardo

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Re: stalled now runs

Post by enforcer »

Possible, relays are electromechanical. Heat affects all metal the same. Could have just been vapor locked. In any event, just to be sure, you should test the relay and bench test the pump, if you suspect a fuel issue.

Could also be the battery though.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

Hi Thank you for your response, if I bench test it and it is cool, I dont think it proves anything specially if the reaction is from heat , I should make one more addition to what I fount out the rear air filter was not in good shape I replaced it may be that will help, I will ride locally for few days and hope that if I get stuck it would be within short distance I'll keep posting if there is any change.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

I forgot to add one more think, after making sure I have good flow of gasoline from the tank by cleaning the petcock I hear the fuel pump much louder, I dont know if it is good or bad.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

ardo wrote:I forgot to add one more think, after making sure I have good flow of gasoline from the tank by cleaning the petcock I hear the fuel pump much louder, I dont know if it is good or bad.
You should only hear the fuel pump until the float bowls are full.

In addition, if you bench test both, then you can be sure it's only caused by heat.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

Hi Keith, thank you for your suggestion, I have twicked the A/F screw, I dont think I am running on low idle, someone told me when I push the starter button without pulling the clutch the pump might pump as long as 20 seconds, until the floats are full, I dont think I wait that long, I'll try this evening again, I didn't find in line gas filter I know the gas is flowing from the tank very nice I cleaned the petcock, I am thinking to disconnect the fuel line from the pump and see the flow to the pump from the petcock. Will let you guys know
cheers

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

Hi Keith, you are right about the stalling in hot weather traffic, I dont think it is A/F screw or idle, I think the relay is getting stuck open or close, when it gets hot it stops working, now it is working full time until it gets to stop, what you think? if I bench test the relay(actually I dont know how) would not make any sense because it is not in traffic heat, yes no?

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

ardo wrote:Hi Keith, you are right about the stalling in hot weather traffic, I dont think it is A/F screw or idle, I think the relay is getting stuck open or close, when it gets hot it stops working, now it is working full time until it gets to stop, what you think? if I bench test the relay(actually I dont know how) would not make any sense because it is not in traffic heat, yes no?
I just noticed that you have a 2000. You don't have a separate relay. It's built into the pump. If your pump is getting louder, it may be giving up the ghost. If you're not too keen on testing it, just replace it with a vac pump and do away with the issue you're currently having, assuming that's the problem.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

Hi my owners manual shows I have a relay four prong, bunch of wieres coming out of the relay, two of the wires goes to the pump, I already both a pump, I can replace, I am just trying to understand the problem, you think the pump is dying?

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

ardo wrote:Hi my owners manual shows I have a relay four prong, bunch of wieres coming out of the relay, two of the wires goes to the pump, I already both a pump, I can replace, I am just trying to understand the problem, you think the pump is dying?
Sorry, I was thinking 800. You do have a relay. If you already have a pump, you can replace it. The louder they get, the more it wears on the brushes.

I just suggested a vac pump, as you could do away with moving parts and wiring. More reliable. Mostly used on snow mobiles. Only cost about $35.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

can you tell me how does the vacuum pump works? where does it gets the vacuum?, most my older inline four bikes had vacuum petcocks v twins are new toys for me, I am learning new things on these bikes, thank you for helping me.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

ardo wrote:can you tell me how does the vacuum pump works? where does it gets the vacuum?, most my older inline four bikes had vacuum petcocks v twins are new toys for me, I am learning new things on these bikes, thank you for helping me.
A vac pump works by drawing engine vacuum much like a vac petcock. The only difference is a petcock is a valve, either open or closed. The pump has a diaphragm with a piston that pulls the fuel. It's actually rather clever. Since you're using vacuum pressure and not an electric motor, the pump automatically knows when to shut off when the bowls are full.

The relay for the electric pump is really just a tip over relay.