Cracked the bolts holding in the oil screen

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 Intruder 800

Cracked the bolts holding in the oil screen

Post by panamaniac »

Title says it all. Was re-tightening the bolts that hold on the oil screen and long story short torqued em all til they cracked. If you must know, I thought the cracking sound was the torque wrench releasing. :cheers: :cheers: Didn't realize a problem til the fourth bolt head sheered off completely!

So since I just changed the oil, My hope is to just leave this alone until the next time I feel I should open the screen (probably a year or so). Assuming no leaks, is there an issue with that approach? I assume the fix here is going to be drilling into the bolts themselves to remove them, something I haven't done before and am not looking forward to.

Thanks,

Panamaniac

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Re: Cracked the bolts holding in the oil screen

Post by enforcer »

panamaniac wrote:Title says it all. Was re-tightening the bolts that hold on the oil screen and long story short torqued em all til they cracked. If you must know, I thought the cracking sound was the torque wrench releasing. :cheers: :cheers: Didn't realize a problem til the fourth bolt head sheered off completely!

So since I just changed the oil, My hope is to just leave this alone until the next time I feel I should open the screen (probably a year or so). Assuming no leaks, is there an issue with that approach? I assume the fix here is going to be drilling into the bolts themselves to remove them, something I haven't done before and am not looking forward to.

Thanks,

Panamaniac
I would fix it more sooner than later. Drilling them out is a last resort. If there is a small amount of thread left, use vise grips to back it out. If not, left handed drill bits are your friend. Make sure you center punch first.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:Oil screen? What is that??? Is it something unique to the 800? I feel like I should go buy another 1400 to see if it has one just so I can break it and be able to relate to this issue!
Smaller Intruder has an oil screen under the sump. Just a little extra filtering. Not sure if the 1400 has one or not. :confused:
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 Intruder 800

Post by panamaniac »

98VS1400 wrote:Oil screen? What is that??? Is it something unique to the 800? I feel like I should go buy another 1400 to see if it has one just so I can break it and be able to relate to this issue!
Any excuse to have another Intruder, eh? :cheers: :cheers:
enforcer wrote:I would fix it more sooner than later. Drilling them out is a last resort. If there is a small amount of thread left, use vise grips to back it out. If not, left handed drill bits are your friend. Make sure you center punch first.
I assume you're suggesting sooner rather than later because (a) I'll forget about this in a year or two and/or (b) they'll always be easier to remove sooner than later, yes? Both solid reasons I suppose, and did you have other ones too?

Hmm, well three of them still have the heads "on" but since I heard that crack I'm assuming they'll pull off if I touch em. When you say "small amount of thread left" I assume you man thread that extends past the surface of the bike, meaning something I might be able to grip on to.

Did some googling on left-handed bits and it sounds like they're what's used for extraction. Good to know!

Will see when I can get around to this. :hellfire: