So, my Intruder is for sale, again

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

So, my Intruder is for sale, again

Post by enforcer »

When I bought my Harley last year, I traded my 700 in. Only lasted about 6 months at the dealer and they sold it. Guess what, it's for sale again, on CL.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/5702454340.html

The guy put almost no miles on it. Bought it, cause he always wanted one and decided to sell it because of all the motorcycle fatalities in the news this year. Nice enough guy, just seems like a chicken shit.

Everytime I get behind the handlebars the thought goes through my mind whether I'm coming back from this ride. But then I realize if I just pay attention and dress for the occasion, I should be just fine. There's always that chance of maybe not, but that doesn't stop me from riding. I guess your desire for personal freedom has to overwhelm your fear of dying. Either way, you're not getting me off two wheels until i can't ride anymore. I won't stop just because I'm afraid.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Re: So, my Intruder is for sale, again

Post by scootermcq »

enforcer wrote: But then I realize if I just pay attention and dress for the occasion, I should be just fine.
Yesterday I was riding over to a local bike shop to pick up some stuff. I came across a guy on a road king and we kinda fell into formation as we were riding along with him in the lead. A car did a left turn in front of us, he locked up and went down, fortunately I was able to stop having the extra time to react because I was following.

The poor bastard was wearing shorts and a T-shirt. The look of his right leg and forearm was just about enough to make you sick. I have never seen road rash (except from bicycles) up close and personal and it sure reaffirmed why I wear big boy pants and a jacket. It has been so hot lately that I have not been wearing my jacket while in the city, but I'm going back to my mesh. We were only doing 40mph and he looks like hamburger.
Scott

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

My Joe Rocket all mesh is so much cooler in the sun riding than just a T shirt.Its got the pads at four places plus back.A friend in sale at the mc shop I buy the most frome sold it to me between Christmas and New year."This is the last one I got,its your size and will let you have it at cost to help book keeping.As much as you ride you need it".Did not dream how great it was!Only thing if doing over would get the gray looking one.The black like so much of my black gear has turned that brown look of a dead critter in the sun for weeks [emoji2] .After seven years or more and I bet 100,000 of summer hot sun still strong with no threads gone,or zipper trouble.If its 90 or more a lot or you travel a lot in heat you need one.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:Forget all this gear crap... Dennis, you gonna buy her back? $1500 would be a good deal on it!
I won't say I haven't thought about it Keith. I don't know if he'd take it. The dealership was asking $1800, they gave me $1300 so I'm sure he either paid sticker price or just below. Put a lot of time and energy into that bike, but with the Harley and the Yammy I have 0 space. If I got rid of the Yammy, I still might not want it back. It started to develop the tensioner click that drove me nuts when I was sitting at a stop light. Now that I've gotten the Yammy running perfect and the bars I like, I quite enjoy that little bike. Doesn't have near the top end of the Intruder, but the gears are taller, which makes cruising on the highway much nicer.

Still, can't say I wouldn't love to have it back. I've got my reasons.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 Intruder 800

Post by panamaniac »

scootermcq wrote:
enforcer wrote: But then I realize if I just pay attention and dress for the occasion, I should be just fine.
Yesterday I was riding over to a local bike shop to pick up some stuff. I came across a guy on a road king and we kinda fell into formation as we were riding along with him in the lead. A car did a left turn in front of us, he locked up and went down, fortunately I was able to stop having the extra time to react because I was following.

The poor bastard was wearing shorts and a T-shirt. The look of his right leg and forearm was just about enough to make you sick. I have never seen road rash (except from bicycles) up close and personal and it sure reaffirmed why I wear big boy pants and a jacket. It has been so hot lately that I have not been wearing my jacket while in the city, but I'm going back to my mesh. We were only doing 40mph and he looks like hamburger.
Jeez. I was in t-shirt and shorts yesterday, no helmet even, and almost went down. Totally my fault. Going about 30. But for the awareness of the car I would have broadsided it. It's got me thinking I should actually start wearing gear beyond just a helmet and cheap leather gloves (and Chacos!)

A jacket like what old time rider describes sounds amazing—it'll actually make you COOLER than a t-shirt? Can something like that be had for closer to $100 than $200? Probably not, but my Trudy was a steal at $500 and (I know, it's stupid) it just feels hard to go spend $300-500 on gear.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

panamaniac wrote:
scootermcq wrote:

Jeez. I was in t-shirt and shorts yesterday, no helmet even, and almost went down. Totally my fault. Going about 30. But for the awareness of the car I would have broadsided it. It's got me thinking I should actually start wearing gear beyond just a helmet and cheap leather gloves (and Chacos!)

A jacket like what old time rider describes sounds amazing—it'll actually make you COOLER than a t-shirt? Can something like that be had for closer to $100 than $200? Probably not, but my Trudy was a steal at $500 and (I know, it's stupid) it just feels hard to go spend $300-500 on gear.
Mesh jackets are nice. Cooler than a T-shirt, maybe, if that's all you're wearing. Harley sells them for around $150, so I guess anther brand could be had for $75-100 if you shopped for it.

Better than no gear at all. My minimum is jeans, tennis shoes, t shirt and helmet. (Underwear optional :wink: )

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

The all mesh is so good because it does block sun but air comes right in.They are for real hot only as rain comes in like you do not have anything on [emoji2] .I got mine new for $53 tax and all so guess he really was letting me have it at cost.I was late Dec..Got two tecnix jackets on E-bay for so cheap around ten years ago.One a all season is good three and got it for $64 sent to my door.It was $305 list.The other was a Hornet I think it was by same maker and list for more at$375 and is warmest jacket I ever owned.Its just winter and has no vents.Its still in good shape but the other after years and long trips like the Alaska 10,300 is about had it but no rips yet.
I got the most $$$ gear now I ever owned Klien.They have a life time warranty to never leak or they fix or replace.Saw one pair of pants replaced.Big vents with loop close for double seal at allzippers and pockets.I had bought the bottom of the line jacket,same warranty but at a motorcycle meet/ride put on by my local dealer won the big door prize of the higest one they made at that time.Had a $625 sticker on it and seen them at some shops at $700!Really I wear the light one a lot more as the other is so heavy. Pinkinfish who has posted on this board a few times was at the ride with his brother on that day. The ones I got on E-BAY were dealer close outs of ones they no longer made in that brand. Brand still going strong just not that one.
Things I look for is at least water will shed some what and not get you at first drops and plenty of vents.With the good vents and not in town my Klim gear is good at 80 degrees on the fly and just zip vents if rain starts.Go to other forms and get tips on what to get from ones that really ride a lot.Someone that rides less than 10,000 a year and gets out of the rain does not need as good road gear IMO. A dew rag and a $3.00 Walmart rain suit may not do the job after a half a day in a hard rain! :lmao: Good luck and used can be the best buy.