What did you do to the motorcycle today?

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: What did you do to the motorcycle today?

Post by Lechy »

K&N produce top quality products so you should be OK. Might be an idea just to eyeball it now and then though.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

I put a couple of pretty chrome acorn nuts on my upper shock mounts. I went progressive front and rear a while back and thought what the hell. A pretty chrome acorn nut would look much better than the regular nut holding the top of my shock on. It took me all of about 15 seconds to do both with a 14mm 6 point socket.

I'M STYLING NOW!!! [emoji41] It's the little things in life...
Arthritis sucks!

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

The weather was beautiful today. The temps went up into the 60’s and it was dry, but overcast. I couldn’t resist, so my brother and I saddled up and we put just over 100 miles on our bikes. At one point I got her up to 105, but she was taking her time getting there. Up to 90, no problem. 90 to 100 wasn’t terrible. 100 to 105 had me sweating watching the needle creeping up slowly. I wonder how much was the Memphis Fats windshield acting like a huge air brake. I’ve ridden without a windshield often, but would never attempt those speeds without one on this bike.
Arthritis sucks!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Took the 1400 out for a short 60-mile ride today. Temp was in the 50's.

Gonna do the same ride tomorrow. Maybe I'll take the 1100 tomorrow.

End the old year and start the new one with a ride.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Did manage to get out for a short ride of 60 miles, the same ride as yesterday.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

Synced my carbs, again... :hellfire:
Arthritis sucks!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Forge wrote:Synced my carbs, again... :hellfire:
Geeze, I have checked mine every spring for, at least 5 years, never required adjustment any of those times.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

Herb wrote:
Forge wrote:Synced my carbs, again... :hellfire:
Geeze, I have checked mine every spring for, at least 5 years, never required adjustment any of those times.
Hopefully I won’t need to again. I used to have worn cables that caused me to have to resync after almost every ride. The plastic outer sheath had worn on the ends and would fray, throwing things off again. I recently changed out all of the cables, so I am hoping that this last sync was simply new cables settling in since it was only minor adjustment that was needed.
Arthritis sucks!

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Did not ride to meet old coots as was going to. When I step in drive the light snow had turned to ice and slick! Weather man was right. 8 degrees would have had to use elc since had tried it this week and working ok. Sun out now so most likely will ride when it warms up to low teens later today if thin ice goes away. :putput:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

Yeah, ice sucks. We get ice and freezing rain far more often than snow here in San Antonio. People always joke about how we can’t drive in the snow. To be fair, most don’t realize that most of the time, if we get snow, there is a glazing of black ice on all of the road surfaces underneath. The news will show people having car wrecks and pile ups when we have half an inch of snow. Let them also report that there is 1/8” to 1/4” of ice underneath that snow.
Arthritis sucks!

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

Yeah, ice on the roads is not good. It's a pretty helpless feeling as you sit there behind the wheel while sliding toward a wreck with no way to prevent what is about to happen!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

lonerider wrote:Yeah, ice on the roads is not good. It's a pretty helpless feeling as you sit there behind the wheel while sliding toward a wreck with no way to prevent what is about to happen!
Even more helpless when you are not aboard.
I parked my truck at work once, got out, and when I slammed the door shut, it slid sideways down the hill. :lmao:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

navigator wrote:
lonerider wrote:Yeah, ice on the roads is not good. It's a pretty helpless feeling as you sit there behind the wheel while sliding toward a wreck with no way to prevent what is about to happen!
Even more helpless when you are not aboard.
I parked my truck at work once, got out, and when I slammed the door shut, it slid sideways down the hill. :lmao:
I'm sorry, but for as bad as that sucks, it's some funny shit!!! :lmao:
Arthritis sucks!

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Me to! Can just see it on one of the shows with that kind of stuff. AFV would have paid off if you had it on film I bet [emoji2] . A gal I worked with parked on ice and all was well till she got out, then a slip and fall half way under the car and it then slid,rolled over her and then the curve got it . On lookers took her to ER and just bruised. Doc told her so lucky after x-rays showed no broken bones.
Was coming home from work on a motorcycle one AM in the 80s. Was still on New Circle in Lexington when a sleet storm hit.Was getting slick and pulled over next to guard rail in edge of grass as it rained ice down on me. A exit was around thirty feet down the road.Not a real safe place! A salt truck came by and pelted me ,then a old Nova that took the exit and ran off the inside of the road in to the grass. Looked like it would be easy with the down hill to get back in the road.It just opened it wide open and no luck.Drivers door opens and a young gal gets out and looking every where fast. I walk down to her with all gear still on. She is about to cry and tells me she has never drove in anything worse than rain can I get it out? Really was as easy as I though and tell her as she comes to it to drive really slow as she had told me the sub was in site was where she lived. She offered to go around and take me back to bike.Told her I have time go ahead and be easy. Saw her turn in to her place as I walked back up. Salt was working so start bike up and watch traffic for a big open to get in .A cop pulls over with lights on and ask ,"What's the problem?" "Just waiting out the sleet ,"tell him.He just holds up his left thumb and get's back in traffic. Sleet stopped and made it home much better than would have guessed at start of it all. :putput:

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Cutting down a bunch of bananas in the garden and I disturbed a hornets nest. Now these are not you piggly little Western fly types these are big ones about 1 inch long and I think 4 of them attacked me.

Pain---- you know nothing of pain until a Hornet stings you, I had 4 stings 2 in the ear and 2 on the belly. I hurt that much I could not connect to the internet to check on what to do because of the lack of concentration needed to connect up. I could not speak with pain.

That was about 6 hours ago and now I am kind of ok. I was told by my next door neighbor these big ones can kill Elephants.

Hopfully I should survive the night.

Tomorrow I am going to make a flame thrower ( wd 40 and a cigarette lighter) and exterminate the bastards.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

No hornets out today here. Rode at 14 degrees to a small rod shop cruise.Great time and no elc as less than twenty miles round even witha little more on way back. :putput:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

Fred wrote:Cutting down a bunch of bananas in the garden and I disturbed a hornets nest. Now these are not you piggly little Western fly types these are big ones about 1 inch long and I think 4 of them attacked me.

Pain---- you know nothing of pain until a Hornet stings you, I had 4 stings 2 in the ear and 2 on the belly. I hurt that much I could not connect to the internet to check on what to do because of the lack of concentration needed to connect up. I could not speak with pain.

That was about 6 hours ago and now I am kind of ok. I was told by my next door neighbor these big ones can kill Elephants.

Hopfully I should survive the night.

Tomorrow I am going to make a flame thrower ( wd 40 and a cigarette lighter) and exterminate the bastards.
Feel better and make them suffer!
Arthritis sucks!

Marauder03
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400vs

Post by Marauder03 »

I hooked up the battery charger and cranked it a couple times and it fired up:) let it idle a little while, to me bike sounds great with the jardine pipes. I was surprised how quickly it started, it’s been 8 degrees F or lower lately. I’m really looking forward to riding again, it’s my therapy. Hope you had a chance to ride today for those that live in climates that permit.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

35 degrees today thats the hot 35 degrees not the cold one. Bike sitting in the garage full charged fuel half full,--cant be bothered. Its running too well you see nothing to fix on it. So im washing the rat piss off the seat of the Royal Enfield then take it to be stiched. I think the foam has soaked it up. I will smell of rat piss all the time,---so whats new!

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Rat piss stink will not go away. No more work on bikes . Buy some cinder block in the morning and some sand and cement and make the surrounding wall higher. People are looking at me in my deck chair as they drive by. :fubird: