gasoline poring out of the a short tube

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
ardo
Studying MC Handbook

gasoline poring out of the a short tube

Post by ardo »

Hi all, I noticed a gas leak from the front carb 2000 intruder 1400, I thought the float needle was stuck, I took the the bike apart to get to the front carb and I cleaned and checked everything I saw the rubber boot that attaches to the engine was open, I tightened everything back, as I put everything together and started the bike, I saw gas was coming out of a short tube that is connected to the top right side of the carb, can any one help me find out why gas is coming out of this tube ?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: gasoline poring out of the a short tube

Post by hillsy »

The only way gas can come out of there is because the carb is flooding. There is an o ring underneath the float valve seat which can break and leak fuel in - did you check this was OK as well as the needle valve?

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

Hmmm, I disconnected the carb from the boots undid the float bowl and checked the travel of the ball seemed to be fine, what else you think I should try to find out the problem, by the way thank you very much for your reply, I appreciate it very much

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

The float goes up as the bowl fills and pushes the float needle down against the seat to stop the flow.
If the seat under the needle is worn, gas continues to flow regardless of the float position or travel.
Inspect and/or replace the seat.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

thank you for your explanation, I will dismantle the carb and see if I can see any damage to the needle. it has to wait for the weekend Ill let you know.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Just a small piece of dirt under the needle valve will cause this problem. also the seat for the needle valve is removable and has an o-ring on it that can go bad and allow fuel past the side of it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

Good morning all, today I took the front carb apart, (float bowl ) area, I removed the float needle, I see a black Rubber dom, on top of the float needle, should there be another O ring below that? I dont see one, if there is none and I need to adjust the float bowl, how do I do it so it pushed the float needle further up, if there is such way to adjust the float, I have the bike apart, and I like to ride it so help me fix it. thank you all in advance.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

The big brass seat that the float needle sits in pulls out. There is an o ring underneath it. Be careful pulling it out - you can use a plastic wall plug and screw to lock inside it and wiggle it out.

To adjust the float height you bend the tang on the float that contacts the needle.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Go here and download the manual. On page 5-19 &5-20 there are instructions, with pics and drawings, about how to set the float level.

http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopi ... =10&t=3338

BTW, there is a chance that the rubber tip on the needle is hard or damaged and it could be causing the problem.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

Thank you for the info, the bike has only 12K miles, it is in very good shape, I am the second owner, I dont think it has anything to do with the brass area where the float needle goes in, what I noticed, when I push the float bowl up it doent seem to push the float needle all the way up, in your experience, is this normal? or should I bend the metal base to push the needle higher? I do have genuine Suzuki work shop manual, sometimes experienced knowledge is far superior than theory. in the past when all my bikes were inline four I had removed many of the float needles and the brass part that has screen on the top, I tried to remove this, I didnt want to force it so I dont know what is behind this part. What you Think?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

The float needles have springs in them so the float will feel "soft" when it closes on the needle.

There is an o ring underneath the seat - you need to check this isnt leaking while you are there.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

You have an 18-year-old bike with only 12,000 miles on it. That means it has sat a lot. Things like o-rings, gaskets and the soft tip on the needle get hard and deteriorate. Things like the brass seat for the needle can also become pitted and cause a problem.

hold the carb upright, blow in the fuel inlet and slowly and gently push the float up, if it takes any force at all to stop the air, the problem is somewhere in the needle valve assembly.

If this seems ok then set the float level according to the instructions in the manual.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

Man, that is a great idea, thank you so much, Ill try that and find out, thank you for keeping at it with me, I appreciate your help

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

Ok, this is what I did today, after removing the float needle seat and making sure everything is fine, I used your method of blowing in the carb and pushing the bowl up, it works I adjusted the needle, this is the problem I am having; I am not able to sit the carb in the rubber boots, no matter how I try, is there a special trick to mount the carb, for some reason I am failing at this. I appreciate if there is a way someone knows , or had the same problem. :bang: :bang: :bang:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Smear a thin coat of Vaseline inside the boot.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Or heat up the rubber boot with a heat gun.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Also loosen the clamp.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

hillsy wrote:Or heat up the rubber boot with a heat gun.
BTW - don't try this if the gas is still pouring out of the overflow :lmao:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I use PB Blaster and you have to kind of wiggle the carb back and forth. Yes it is a pain in the ass to get them in place.

BTW, when you put the air filter boot in place it is damn near as big a pain in the ass and you need to make sure it is seated on the carb all the way around. It has a tendency to fold under and not seat on the carb.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

Happy July four, what a day working on my bike, well here it goes, I used Vaseline, on the intake boot, for the first time pushing the car down it clicked , (never did before) hooked up the air filter side then connected the gas line , what a PITA.to attach the clamp, first Ifter connecting the gas line I put everything together less the clamp, started the bike as soon as ran gasoline gushed out uGGGGGGGGGh, pull the gas tank up and try again here I saw the gas was gushing out of the gas line, I was relieved , I knew by clamping the gas line would resolve my problem, even simple clamp was impossible because there was no space to the nipple then I noticed the nipple was higher than the carb body so I used the clamp without passing the carb body, thank you all who responded to help resolve my problem .

Cheers