Need help please.

General questions not related to any bike specifically.
Every day questions, batteries, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc!
Think if it as the, Motorcycle Chit Chat Channel.
Intruder_dave
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 suzuki intruder vs1400

Need help please.

Post by Intruder_dave »

Hello all so I'm at wits end with my bike I've had it for over 3 years now ran it 1100 miles last year in a round trip no problem. Recently noticed its popping and backfiring out of the rear cylinder I cleaned the front carb when I first got the bike it sucked the old air filter into the carb.. so I pulled the rear carb today and it also had residue from an old airfilter previous owner didnt take care of it but it was low miles. Only 8k miles when i bought it it has 15k now. So I cleaned the carb out really well didnt adjust anything and put it back together now its backfiring worse!!!! It backfires alot on deceleration as well could the pair valve be back and how do it remove it. I also noticed my stator wiring connector is melted so I need to replace my stator and rectifier as well. Could that cause a backfiring in the rear cylinder????? I've done everything to my knowledge as far as I know about these bike. I'm mechanic inclined and can usually fix anything but I'm stumped at this point.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Need help please.

Post by navigator »

The melted connector could cause that problem, Cut the connector out and solder the wires.
Did you wipe the air boxes clean and install new filters?

Intruder_dave
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Intruder_dave »

Yes installed new oem filters and cleaned the boxes well. I didnt mess with the wiring yet. I ordered a new stator and rectifier the new stator I ordered comes with a plug repair so I'm going to install that and repair the melted plug I've been having an issue with the battery dying so I ordered a new battery but that wasnt my problem. So I have a new agm battery installed in the bike also cleaned all the ground and power wires and added another chassis ground.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Intruder_dave wrote:Yes installed new oem filters and cleaned the boxes well. I didnt mess with the wiring yet. I ordered a new stator and rectifier the new stator I ordered comes with a plug repair so I'm going to install that and repair the melted plug I've been having an issue with the battery dying so I ordered a new battery but that wasnt my problem. So I have a new agm battery installed in the bike also cleaned all the ground and power wires and added another chassis ground.
If the voltage is screwed up it can cause backfiring, so can a very lean condition on one cylinder.

Did you test the stator? Is it really bad?

If the melted wires are caught soon enough the stator may be ok.

I have replaced 4 stators and NEVER replaced an R/R. They very seldom go bad.

As for the plug repair kit, better off to throw it away and solder the wires and use heat shrink on them. The old connector CAUSED the problem because it got corrosion on the contacts and the whole thing overheated.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Intruder_dave
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Intruder_dave »

I'll try soldering the wires I've been having an issue with the battery dying as well I have not tested it besides a multimeter to the battery and watched the volts go up slightly while idling after a jumpstart before I put a new battery in.

Intruder_dave
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Intruder_dave »

So I heat shrunk the stator wires no more popping and it seems much better time will tell

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

These bikes electrical system is VERY dependent on proper voltage, even the loss of one leg of the stator is enough to cause a whole bunch of problems.

There are tests to check out the system in the Suzuki manual that is pinned at the top of the 1400 forum. If you continue to have battery problems you need to download the manual and run the tests.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Intruder_dave
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Intruder_dave »

Thank you very much. I took it for a ride today since it was raining when I repaired the wiring. And I noticed a huge difference no more popping or hesitation bike runs great now.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Intruder_dave wrote:Thank you very much. I took it for a ride today since it was raining when I repaired the wiring. And I noticed a huge difference no more popping or hesitation bike runs great now.
good to hear.

Enjoy the ride

Intruder_dave
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Intruder_dave »

Sure will we are planning another trip to Virginia for vacation so I'll be riding it down for the week. Glad shes back to running tip top. Now I just need to replace the clutch springs it slips under full throttle which i know is common for these bikes. To much power for the stock clutch it when I first got it i use to pull the front off the ground lol unintentionally of coarse.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Two words, Designer Springs.

Intruder_dave
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Intruder_dave »

I was doing alot of research and heard alot of good things about them so of coarse that la what I'll be going with lol. I plan on keeping this bike for a very very long time since I love it lol